• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Powdercoat or Anodize?

I really don't know what of your two choices would work best. But what I noticed when looking at some of the 2015 models of the California, is that some have black valve covers as standard equipment.

I was staring at mine last night thinking powder coated black would look nice and not corrode like they are now.

I agree with John. Powercoat would insulate the covers and trap heat. Better to anodize.

you may be dissappointed with anodise ......cast aliuminium does not come up well, maybe laquer after.

but then it would be set for powder coat after...proper corrosion resistance

I would powder coat them black. While it could be argued the the thin film of powder coating would "insulate" them and retain heat I could counter that argument with the fact that flat black dissipates heat better and faster then silver or shiny aluminum. And while I know there are coatings that are made to insulate, standard powder coating is not one of them.
Anodizing does not work as well on cast aluminum and it also tends to fade. They likely would not be black for more than a few years.
The valve covers on my Griso are flat black. Powder coated flat black. No issues. Just use a coating made for higher temps. Make sure the guy understands these are valve covers and that they will get fairly hot.

Last edited:
The "valve cover" on the 1400 is a dress cover. The oil tight valve cover is underneath.
The outer casting is vented, and does not achieve very high temperatures.
It is "hand touch warm" after a long ride in summer.

I question? How is Guzzi doing it? I would lean to powder coating. High temps would have to be considered.
The valve covers on the wifes V11 are coated, it is either fairly high quality paint or low quality powder coating as it wears well but does show a little wear.
The original valve covers on my Griso were also coated, as are the replacement ones on there now. There are lots of valve covers out there that are painted or powder coated.
If it is not even actually the valve cover but a dress cover then do with it what ever you want. At that point it seems it would not matter at all.

The "valve cover" on the 1400 is a dress cover. The oil tight valve cover is underneath.
The outer casting is vented, and does not achieve very high temperatures.
It is "hand touch warm" after a long ride in summer.

Based on this information, I'll change my opinion to powdercoat.

I really don't know what of your two choices would work best. But what I noticed when looking at some of the 2015 models of the California, is that some have black valve covers as standard equipment. I would order a black OEM valve cover from Moto Guzzi.

I'd avoid powdercoat. My experience with vehicles is that PC does go dull in due course.
Paint is much easier to repair / recoat than PC. I have no experience with anodising.

I would powder coat them black. ..... flat black dissipates heat better and faster then silver or shiny aluminum.

And while I know there are coatings that are made to insulate, standard powder coating is not one of them.

Hmm sorry but the black theory is rubbish. Black is only a factor as compared with, say, white in so far as reflection of light and absorption of heat is concerned. (e.g. a black car roof will absorb more heat whereas a white one will reflect more). It has no relevance to this particular issue.

It's true that PC is not designed to insulate and the choice of colour will not really matter a damn.

Hmm sorry but the black theory is rubbish. Black is only a factor as compared with, say, white in so far as reflection of light and absorption of heat is concerned.

Dunno where you got your information from mate, but it flies in the face of science. Try doing a search on best colour for heat dissipation on google and observe the replies. Don't see any information supporting your stand, but a lot suggesting black is the best.

I learnt this in 3rd form science.

And heat sinks are often black.

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, or if it really makes a difference. But people smarter than I am seem to think it does.

Powder coat done correctly will work fine. The covers do not get that hot. In fact after the fueling mods you can lay your hands on them after a 1/2 hr spirited ride at 75 degrees outside.

Attachments

• powder.jpeg
    powder.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 50
  • powder2.jpeg
    powder2.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 55
Back