• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Problem with Cali Phf´s

cse

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello everyone, been some time since my last post here. But I ran into some trouble with a 1100 cali 1996 carburetors and need some help...

After a crank oil seal repair and necessary dissassembly / reassembly process, the left side carburetor started to leak gas from a small vent hole next to the choke valve.
Dismantled carburetor and found some issues: a 10 gr. float, and missing o-ring on the mixture screw(along with some rust)..
New 8.5gr float, new phf gasket kit, new 300 float valve and some work after .. the carb was assembled as new..
The bike worked well on the bench, good idle, nice throtlle response...
Next day, engine start....and the gas started leaking again ..... :O

The float was measured and tuned to 18mm in vertical position (as on Dellorto guide)...
All holes and vents thoroughly washed, cleaned and blown with compressed air...
Float pin was a bit loose, and was swaped by an used tighter one...
Checked cables ... choke cables bit tight, loosen them up and ... the same..

I believe it may have something to do with the choke cables or valve but don´t know how to properly tune them .. I think .

Tought in talk to a Guzzi expert(s) ..
So here am I.

Very gratefull for any tip or sugestion..
Thanks

The needle valve isn't closing. Could be a piece of trash on the seat, or you may just need to lower the float a little. The 18mm is probably good for a perfect world, but some carbs just need a little tweaking. You don't want the carb to overflow and it just needs enough fuel to run properly.

The needle valve isn't closing. May be a piece of something preventing closure, or you may just need to lower the float a little to provide more pressure on the needle valve. With the bowl off, confirm that raising the float will shut off the fuel flow. If it does, then just have the float level a little lower. You just have to have enough fuel to run properly without overflowing.

Thank you very much for the reply John. I´ve tried to level the float down to 23 mm and still leaks.
Later tonight I´ll try some more ideas on the float and reply later...

Thank you very much for the reply John. I´ve tried to level the float down to 23 mm and still leaks.
Later tonight I´ll try some more ideas on the float and reply later...

Take a closer look at the needle valve. Can you shut off the fuel flow manually? Are you sure the float hasn't gotten heavy? Even though new, the float may have a crack in it that has allowed fuel to enter.

Take a closer look at the needle valve. Can you shut off the fuel flow manually? Are you sure the float hasn't gotten heavy? Even though new, the float may have a crack in it that has allowed fuel to enter.
There are other odd little things that can cause the float to not shut properly such as the floats fouling on the central emulsion tube housing or the bowl, the stop tang (that limits the float movement downwards)catching on the hex face edge of the needle valve body, the radius of the U shaped tang( that acts on the needle) being too small and causing it to hang up, the float pivot point catching on the pivot posts

Ok. must have been some of those odd things, cause last night I tested the carb in a transparent bowl to see the float working and it worked fine in 24 or 18mm level, tested with the throttle needle and choke valve, with the bowl assembled. reassembled it on bike and seems to be fine now... I will retest today.. Seems odd that it was badly assembled about 7 or 8 times when the other carb was assembled twice and never worked bad...

Retest later then i´ll reply.

Thanks

Could have just been a piece of trash on the needle that is now not there. Are you running fuel filters?

Still leaking ...
After another run engine starting working bad again and gas started leaking again......
Tested the floats for any kind of arrestment, work fine every way.
Exchanged bowls ... still leaks
Then eureka... the gas is coming up higher than the bowl with float working , so ....
The bowl is not on proper atmospheric pressure. So I disconnected the breather hose on the back side of the carb and ....Stoped leaking :) Yes..

The breather tube was pinched on assembly. Tube replaced and Problem solved..

After spending around 60 € in parts and a whole week of mind breaking... it was a pinched breather hose ...

Thanks for the help.

Will try to send some pic´s of the Cali, she is a beauty.

Funny. I was going to ask you about that vent tube last night, having just gone through this on my SPII over the past year. Glad you found the problem. Mine was a tiny insect cocoon inside the vent tube, causing the float needle to not seat properly, resulting in gas welling up through the main jet.
JD

Back