• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Early V7 Radial Tire Thread

Thanks Stradagene. I've got the size from the owners manual but I looked on the Conti website and didn't see the correct size for the V7ii. I'll look again.

It's possible that size isn't available here.

Last edited:
i think you need to change both front and rear when you make this change. Not good to mix both types non-radial/radial.

I've got the size from the owners manual but I looked on the Conti website and didn't see the correct size for the V7ii. I'll look again.
What are you referring to? Chris listed the stock tire sizes on every V7 since 2009 to date... yes they are available. The 2017 also approves 110/80-18 front (available as a RAIII) and 140/70-17 rear (not available in the RAIII).

That's a thought I suppose JPV7. Having said that I can't see any info that says it's a radial tyre. I'd appreciate a link if someone has it handy.

What are you referring to? Chris listed the stock tire sizes on every V7 since 2009 to date... yes they are available. The 2017 also approves 110/80-18 front (available as a RAIII) and 140/70-17 rear (not available in the RAIII).

I wasn't asking what size tyres the V7 uses. I know what the tyre size is as it's in the V7ii owners manual as well as listed earlie in this thread. What I'm saying is that when I click through to the Australian version of the Conti website the rear size suitable for the V7 ie 130/80 17 65H is not on the Conti website so I assume not available here.

My first post...I can see why the confusion. I said I can't see the size specced in the manual (followed by that size) What I meant was that I can't see the size recommended in the manual being available on the Conti website.
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/radial-tire-thread.16997/page-5#post-139376

That's a thought I suppose JPV7. Having said that I can't see any info that says it's a radial tyre. I'd appreciate a link if someone has it handy.

I wasn't asking what size tyres the V7 uses. I know what the tyre size is as it's in the V7ii owners manual as well as listed earlie in this thread. What I'm saying is that when I click through to the Australian version of the Conti website the rear size suitable for the V7 ie 130/80 17 65H is not on the Conti website so I assume not available here.

My first post...I can see why the confusion. I said I can't see the size specced in the manual (followed by that size) What I meant was that I can't see the size recommended in the manual being available on the Conti website.
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/radial-tire-thread.16997/page-5#post-139376

1. In the size charts there is a column that has "R" or "ZR". for Radial or Zero Radial. I'm not sure "Zero Radial" means because I thought that radial meant that the cord ply was at zero degrees. My guess is that conventional radials have some zero plies and some bias plies, whereas the ZRs have all of the plies at Zero.
2. At the size charts, select the Rear Tire tab.
PS: I looked at what I thought was the Aussie web site in addition to the US site.

Dan

Thanks Dan. On the Conti site I selected the rear tyre tab. Maybe an internet gremlin (or brain fart) at the time but I can now see correct size for the V7. Unfortunately online retailers in Australia don't seem to offer it unless maybe it can be ordered. I guess the 0 degrees symbol means radial but I've come back to bikes after a long spell and all sorts of magic seems to be involved in this hobby nowadays.

Anyway I'm going to put another Sport Demon on the back and look into the Contis next time. Hopefully users of the Conti can keep us updated on their experience with it.

If you can order the radial tires I would encourage you to do that - front and rear. As others have said, you don't want to mix bias-ply with radial.
Yes, it will be a bit more expensive, but I personally found the Pirelli Sports Demons to be an expensive option. One seems to burn through them quite quickly requiring frequent replacement.

In terms of riding enjoyment, the Continental RA3s are a night and day improvement over the bias-ply Sports Demons. I thought that was an exaggeration until I switched to the RA3 and experienced the difference for myself. It's not that one can't enjoy the V7 with Sports Demon bias-plies. I enjoyed the hell out of my bike with the Sports Demons. I just enjoyed it that much more once I had the Continental Road Attack III's installed!

I haven't had the RA3s on my bike long enough to report on ultimate longevity, but I can already see that it looks like they are wearing significantly better than the Sports Demons that had to be replaced so frequently. If I remember correctly Continental claims that differing amounts of silica are used from centerline to side in order to give the stickiest grip when cornering (the RA3s corner much better than the Sports Demons!) but provide better tire life with a harder compound on centerline. So far, at least in my experience, it looks like this is true.

I would already be 1/2 - 3/4 through the life of Sports Demons had I replaced my tires with those again. I don't think I'm even 1/3 into the life of the RA3s - and they are way way way better on the road.

So - again - my advice is to order them (front and back) even if you have to wait to get them. You'll probably end up paying less overall and you'll definitely be getting a better ride.

Thanks stradagrene but there's enough landfill as is without me adding to it by chucking a perfectly good front tyre on the heap. When ready I'll look into the options and hope for Conti user updates. Or even the new and improved version!

Cheers, MotoBug

Thanks stradagrene but there's enough landfill as is without me adding to it by chucking a perfectly good front tyre on the heap. When ready I'll look into the options and hope for Conti user updates. Or even the new and improved version!

Cheers, MotoBug

Right... but if you end up putting 6 Sport Demons in the landfill for every pair of Road Attacks that you put in the landfill, even that line of reasoning doesn't argue in favor of going for another Sport Demon.

I don't know how many miles I'm going to get out of the RA3s that I have on my bike now, but based on how many Sport Demons I've put in the landfill I made a seat of the pants estimate. ;)

(It might be closer to 4 SDs for every pair of RA3s!!!) Ha ha

But even if it is 4 SD for every pair of RA3s instead of 6 SD for every pair of RA3s, if you don't have the equipment to change your own tires [and I don't], the cost for running Sport Demons is even more expensive than 2X the cost of the tires as one also pays mounting twice as often.

I still think you're better off chucking the "good" front tire (is it really 'perfect'?)and putting on two new radials - economically - if you're at all inclined to think in terms of even the shortest long game - environmentally - to avoid filling up that landfill - and finally, for the vastly increased enjoyment that you'll get out of every moment that you ride the bike.

Last edited:
Took a quick glance on the forum and this thread, I may have missed it or this question might have not been asked, but nevertheless, I cannot find the answer to my question, which is: What is the max tire size the stock rims on the V7II Racer will accept?

I'm looking to purchase some Avon Roadriders for my V7II, and I wanted to install some beefier tires for aesthetic reasons, and I doubt they'll affect riding much. I'm looking to purchase the 140/90-17 and the 110/90-18, will those fit my bike without complications? 140/80-17s are available if the 140/90-17s don't fit. I would like to fit some 120/80-18s in the front but I feel 20 millimeters over stock tires won't fit properly, I just need some enlightening before I make any purchases, please.

Edit:

Just to make this easier to understand, which tire will fit properly:

Rear: 140/80-17 , 140/90-17
Front: 110/80-18, 110/90-18, 120/80-18

Thank you

Faisal: One of the biggest mistakes I ever made in buying tires for a motorcycle was putting larger than spec tires on it, particularly on the front. Handling suffered badly, and the propensity to get into tank slapping wobbles became a serious concern. I took them off and put standard sized tires on, and all the excellent handling and stability returned immediately.

The difference in size was 10mm in the front.

When I went to build a modified, improved bike of the same model, and year, I changed the rims first (front: went from 19" to 18", went from 1.75" to 2.5") and then went to a wider, lower profile tire that provided the same overall diameter as the originals. And I did the same kind of changes to the rear rim and tire sizing, actually going to a slightly taller tire to quicken the steering geometry a tiny bit. That worked beautifully.

So I would think carefully about these changes "for aesthetic reasons" ... Motorcycle steering geometry and handling characteristics are subtle things, and generally the manufacturers have a very good handle on how to make motorcycles work well these days. Look carefully at other models similar to the VII Racer, see what rim/tire/stock geometry settings are, and make changes that replicate those. Just looking for "the biggest that will fit" is rarely the best in these situations.

Last edited:
Faisal: One of the biggest mistakes I ever made in buying tires for a motorcycle was putting larger than spec tires on it, particularly on the front. Handling suffered badly, and the propensity to get into tank slapping wobbles became a serious concern. I took them off and put standard sized tires on, and all the excellent handling and stability returned immediately.

The difference in size was 10mm in the front.

When I went to build a modified, improved bike of the same model, and year, I changed the rims first (went from 19" to 18", went from 1.75" to 2.5") and then went to a wider, lower profile tire that provided the same overall diameter as the originals. And I did the same kind of changes to the rear rim and tire sizing, actually going to a slightly taller tire to quicken the steering geometry a tiny bit. That worked beautifully.

So I would think carefully about these changes "for aesthetic reasons" ... Motorcycle steering geometry and handling characteristics are subtle things, and generally the manufacturers have a very good handle on how to make motorcycles work well these days. Look carefully at other models similar to the VII Racer, see what rim/tire/stock geometry settings are, and make changes that replicate those. Just looking for "the biggest that will fit" is rarely the best in these situations.

Well, would you look at that.. Size does matter... Were the 10mm and standard sized tires the same brand and type?

Well, would you look at that.. Size does matter... Were the 10mm and standard sized tires the same brand and type?

It was a very long time ago (1979-1980, if I recall correctly) ...

I believe the reason I went to the larger size was, well, because they were bigger and looked cool to my eye, and they were a different brand/model from the original tire because the original tires were not easily available (and completely worn out: I desperately needed a set of tires at that moment!). The smaller OEM sizes that worked perfectly were the same alternative brand/model.

"We all get to be young and foolish in our lives. If we survive that, we get to be old and foolish."

So I would think carefully about these changes "for aesthetic reasons"
Unfortunately that is the time/trend we are in right now. Glorified, actually. Knobby tires and brown seats are getting all of the money.
So interestingly enough for 2017, Guzzi actually lists the 110/80-18 & 140/70-17 as options on the V7. I have run these (Metzeler Klassik) sizes on many bikes, and they are OK. A 140/70 makes you pull the rear drive to get fitted.
I actually prefer the 110/80 Conti RAIII as it is Z rated, and transforms the bike. They only make a 130/80 rear offering.

It was a very long time ago (1979-1980, if I recall correctly) ...

I believe the reason I went to the larger size was, well, because they were bigger and looked cool to my eye, and they were a different brand/model from the original tire because the original tires were not easily available (and completely worn out: I desperately needed a set of tires at that moment!). The smaller OEM sizes that worked perfectly were the same alternative brand/model.

"We all get to be young and foolish in our lives. If we survive that, we get to be old and foolish."

I don't mean to be rude with this upcoming question, I may just be young and inexperienced, but don't you think after 38 years since your anecdote that tire technology has greatly improved? Don't you think if you had done that modification nowadays that it wouldn't have as much of an affect as it did in 1980?

Unfortunately that is the time/trend we are in right now. Glorified, actually. Knobby tires and brown seats are getting all of the money.
So interestingly enough for 2017, Guzzi actually lists the 110/80-18 & 140/70-17 as options on the V7.

A little bling never hurt anyone ;) Since Guzzi mention those sizes as options, I'm guessing handling won't be compromised. Thank you, Todd.

Back