• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Reducing seat height

PlacidoD

Just got it firing!
First post. Apologies if covered before but if so I cannot find it:

Acquired a 2012 NTX a couple of months ago. I am 5ft 8" and a 30" inseam so I am challenged a little by the seat height. All is OK until I come to a halt. My footwear is Daytona M-Star so I get an 8 mm raise from the soles. And I have backed off the pre-load (1 turn of 8 on the front and about five clicks from recommended on the rear) but that side stand is a long reach and stopping on an adverse camber or uneven road surface can be interesting!

So how much can I saw off/plane off the plastic seat support blocks? (I am not keen on the idea of carving chunks out of the seat)

P.S. Given that I am new a bit more about me: I ride about 36,000 miles a year and own an 08 plate Honda Deauville NT700 (151, 000 miles), an 08 plate Yamaha FJR 1300 (82,000 miles) as well as the Stelvio acquired with 17k on the clock. I tour Europe regularly plus weekend away in the UK as well as commuting on the Deauville .

Chris

So how much can I saw off/plane off the plastic seat support blocks? (I am not keen on the idea of carving chunks out of the seat)
Chris

Probably not a good idea. It would not latch properly and you could have a seat that moves around on you. Any upholtery shop can cut down the foam for you and since you are going lower, probably re-use the cover. I would recommend replacing the original seat foam with high density foam as the original foam tends to be too soft for lasting comfort, especially since you are going thinner. Also shaping the nose of the seat a little narrower will give you more leg reach to the ground.

Lifting the Forks through the yokes as far as you can helps.
You can go approx 30mm before the Waisted Section of the Legs intrudes into the Yoke.

If you do move the front forks, it might be a good idea to go with a shorter shock to maintain the steering geometry.

The Stelvio is so stable, it doesn't adversely affect the Steering, in fact I'd say it improves it a little.
It makes it feel a touch 'lighter', while remaining totally 'neutral' in corners, i.e. it doesn't feel like it wants to 'drop-in' or 'sit-up', it just stays put at your chosen lean-angle.
Tyre choice may affect results of course, as will pressures used.

I'm running Tourance Nexts, standard pressures (36/42).

Will be interesting to see how it handles the Griso Wheels I've got to fit it . . .

Probably not a good idea. It would not latch properly and you could have a seat that moves around on you. .....

John,

Good point. I had not considered that. I will have to lift the seat and have a careful look at latching arrangements.

Not keen on dropping the suspension as mentioned by others. I dropped the FJR through the forks by 9mm and fitted an adjustable Nitron shock which permitted me to raise the back end to aid turn in. That gives me more or less the same height at the centre stand. But I an not convinced that I have improved the handling. (I also have a higher than standard Corbin seat on the FJR and I am knock-kneed rather than bow-legged which does not help when stationary!!)

The handling on the Deauville is totally neutral as is the Stelvio. That reminds me what I am missing on the FJR. So I would like to make improvements to the Stelvio in easily reversible steps so that I can compare before and after. I already have some gain via the Daytona M-Stars and losing a touch on preload has also upped the safety margin a little. (I am mainly riding solo road use without panniers and just a top box and can easily dial in more pre-load on the rear when touring with full panniers). So just a couple of extra millimetres will improve things still further.

I have preload wound up to Max on the rear shock on the Deauville meaning I am on the balls of my feet on that so I am quite comfortable with a tripod rather than four super firm points of contact.

I think I shall mock up some slightly cut down blocks in wood and see how they work rather than letting MG charge me a fortune for new blocks (and maybe have a long wait for them). A 3-4 mm drop in seat height would be very useful and is probably all that I need.

Of course if there is some kind UK Stelvio owner out there with a lowered seat that I could meet up with and try his seat on a ride out that might convince me to go for a change to the seat profile. Any offers? I have upholsterer Tony Archer on my doorstep in Huddersfield so I will have no problems getting the job done if I go down that route.

It is only a few millimeters that I need. After a ride out around Rivington yesterday I did a shop filling the top box with groceries and also brimmed the tank. The bike felt really comfortable riding home so I am almost there.

P.S. The other "mod" that is definitely on the cards is to weld a short extension onto the end of the stub to which the spring attaches on the side stand. That side stand is a long stretch when parked on an adverse camber! Being able to kick the side stand up with the right foot firmly on the ground will be a distinct improvement!

Chris

I have read that a Griso Shock goes straight in, but is slightly shorter than the Stelvio item, might be worth a try.
There may be a Griso owner (with temporarily off-the-road Bike) willing to let you try their shock, or maybe one that has replaced theirs, and has the old one lying around.

I have read that a Griso Shock goes straight in, but is slightly shorter than the Stelvio item, might be worth a try.
There may be a Griso owner (with temporarily off-the-road Bike) willing to let you try their shock, or maybe one that has replaced theirs, and has the old one lying around.
Length wise it's .5" shorter. I STRONGLY do NOT recommend using the Griso shock on the Stelvio. It is undersprung and overly-firm valved. I can get shocks made to order lengthwise for lowering a bike if/as needed. See the Store tab above for selections.

Or just swap the Spring over?
The stock Stelvio shock is also under-spring for most riders, and then what about the valving? They are hand in hand. I know there is a ADV Forum that is full of far more (supposed) intelligence than I, but I'd wager my scientific and real world documented testing and $ investment and facts on paper vs. seat of pants swaps. That said, people can do whatever they want. They usually do even when I give solid advice.

Ah yes, but how many owners ride their Stelvios (or any other Bikes) anywhere near their Machine's limits?
Not too many I'm guessing.
The Griso isn't that much lighter than the Stelvio, is it?
I've not read/heard of any Grisos pogo-ing off into the road-side undergrowth on a regular basis . . .

Anyway, it would just be a quick/cheap option to see if a shorter Shock would do the job, I'm sure if anyone found it to be a limiting factor to their riding, they'd stump up for a purpose-built unit with better Springing/Damping characteristics.

Anyway, it would just be a quick/cheap option to see if a shorter Shock would do the job,
As I've said, it will fit... I've done it and tried it. It was downright horrific. It drops the seat height ~ 1" or so.

Back