• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Removing Baffles on Arrow Slip-On Exhaust on a V7 Classic

tiltmode43

Tuned and Synch'ed
Just wanted to make a thread for those with stock Arrow cans wondering if this is possible, or a good idea, to remove the baffles.

I purchased a 2nd hand pair of Arrow cans from a forum member. The previous owner had removed packing and shortened the baffles but they just didn't sound (or look) quite good/loud enough for me. One of my buddies has a Triumph Scrambler with the Arrow exhaust and the baffle is easy to remove via C-clamp (on the Guzzi V7 Arrow, the baffles are welded in, likely for dB regulation/legal reasons). After hearing/seeing his exhaust without it, I knew mine had to go!

A 2" hole saw bit + drill is all you need, just make sure the bit it is bi-metal! We first tried using a carbon bit he had lying around and it just would not cut through. With a proper bit just drill away, allowing the drill/bit to cool from time to time. Eventually we got to the point that a pair of pliers pulled out the baffles without much effort at all. The cut ended up surprisingly clean, though a dremel will smooth things out even better should I find myself bored on a Sunday afternoon. There was definitely an increase in decel popping after removing the baffles, likely due to increased exhaust flow. I also want to say throttle response was improved around 4-5k but this could be in my head, the butt dyno isn't too reliable - it really does seems there's a bit more oomph at highway speeds though. It may also be important to note I only ran the Arrows with baffles for one day.

***The Arrow exhaust will require V7 Racer or V7 Cafe Classic brackets due to the exhaust angle. I would recommend contacting your dealer for the Cafe Classic brackets as they are much cheaper than the Racer brackets. This is something I found out the hard way when trying to install the exhaust around midnight on a weeknight without the brackets and they just would not line up with the OE Classic brackets... was frustrating to say the least! With the correct brackets everything was spot on.***

Before:
IMG_1767_zps86cd45c5.jpg

Halfway done, the right side is out. The cuts came out very clean, little-no touch up smoothing required.
IMG_1773_zpsa226ac76.jpg

What the baffle looks like once removed.
IMG_1774_zpsb20cafd7.jpg

Final product. Compared to some of my friends' bikes it's quiet but for me, it's loud enough/perfect. Any more noise from my bike and I'd just feel bad for my neighbors, haha.
IMG_1776_zps1882c9d5.jpg

9699745998_03135d2d5d_b.jpg

More photos at http://www.flickr.com/inghostcolours The iPhone5 is a marvelous thing :) The keen eye will notice I changed tanks between the first and last photo in this thread :D

Overall, I'd say this would be a good modification for anyone looking for a bit more kick out of the Arrow system. I received mine in modified form (previous owner removed much deadining + shortened baffle), I can't imagine how quiet a 100% stock Arrow setup would be! Stock Arrows + cutting out baffles would be perfect for most looking for an aftermarket exhaust they want to actually be able to hear.

Re: Removing Baffles on Arrow Slip-On Exhaust on a V7 Classi

Thanks for posting. I've been going back and forth whether I want to do this mod or not. Why the hell didn't they just make the DB Killer removable like most manufacturers? I guess because it has "Moto Guzzi" stamped on it?

Just how bad is the popping on decel? Any chance you could post something to You Tube with the sound? I realize sound on the recording isn't very accurate, but I still think it would give some idea.

Overall I really like the Arrows, the engine runs flawlessly and I'd hate to muck it up with a irreversible mod just to make my ears happy.

Re: Removing Baffles on Arrow Slip-On Exhaust on a V7 Classi

tonUPRacer said:
Thanks for posting. I've been going back and forth whether I want to do this mod or not. Why the hell didn't they just make the DB Killer removable like most manufacturers? I guess because it has "Moto Guzzi" stamped on it?

Just how bad is the popping on decel? Any chance you could post something to You Tube with the sound? I realize sound on the recording isn't very accurate, but I still think it would give some idea.

Overall I really like the Arrows, the engine runs flawlessly and I'd hate to muck it up with a irreversible mod just to make my ears happy.

Will try to get a video this weekend!

The Arrow pipes for triumph have similar Triumph branding as ours do Guzzi. I want to say the Triumph Arrow (Scrambler 2-1, at least) is not technically dB legal while the Guzzi Arrows are 50 State legal. This could have to do with why the baffles are welded in, rather than clipped in.

I too was very wary of cutting them myself due to threads like this one -> wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=58157.0 I convinced myself just to go for it as they were just far too quiet before (even with shortened baffles & removed packing) and I could not be happier with the result. I live in an area with many allies and narrow streets so noise echoes and while these are loud, they are neither obnoxious nor offensive (same cannot be said about a buddy's D&D Thruxton TT exhaust :lol: ).

I own a Moto Guzzi V7 racer with arrow exhaust. I'm considering to cut out the DB-killers but i'm afraid it will be too loud. Can You please post a sound clip. Thanks !

I own a Moto Guzzi V7 racer with arrow exhaust. I'm considering to cut out the DB-killers but i'm afraid it will be too loud. Can You please post a sound clip. Thanks !
This is quiet a nice video to watch, it says he removed the baffles, I would assume entirely…but read his blurb…he has turned the sound up on editing.

I have not removed the baffles in my Arrows entirely, but drilled out the rivets and cut the baffle to about half. Then replaced the rivets with stainless steel rivets. I like the sound…its not too loud.
I shall see if I can find a good enough clip…without wind noise.

So glad I found this thread, been debating doing this mod. I ride into The city every day and while lane splitting I notice no one can hear me. Not the case when I'm behind some of the louder bikes that commute in.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,
I found the same thing with arrows. Too quite. if you remove them It is too noisy. But I still like the noisy one. Also I thought it is nice to have a removable baffle like some other brands. I really like arrow race pipes for the look it gives on my v7. I was little pissed off when I see Triumph boni with removable arrow pipes. So I did this...
Photo 1 1 Photo 2 1
I cut it opened and took the baffle out. Then I decided to convert it in to a removable baffle. So I made a ring with thread inside. The ring was wide about 1.5 inches which is exactly the same width between the edge of the metal part ( inside metal part with lot of holes on it) and the outer curvy edge of the exhaust.

Photo 3 1
That ring was put through the exhaust pipe until it hits the metal part with lot of holes on it. (Sorry don't know the exact english word for that part. English is my second language guys) Then it was welded only from two spots. It was pretty tight to slide through. But I welded two tacks incase if it is loosened with vibration.

After that below modifications were done for the baffle
IMG 1774 zpsb20cafd7 Photo 1 3 Photo 3 2 Photo 2 4

So it is basically I made another ring with the same width and wall thickness but out side thread to screw it through the other ring which is already in exhaust. Also I made two U shape serrated edges to screw it easily. And a little tool to screw it. Photo 1 5 Photo 4 Photo 2 5

This is how it looks like now... Photo 3 4

By the way.... their are number of reasons for me to do this modification. I realised engine is running lean when I ride without baffles. (pop noise was slight but obvious) I knew my EFIS need to be remapped to equalise air and gasoline ratio if the baffles are not used. I live about 1000kms away from my dealer. Norton and Enfield dealer was about half an hour away but didn't want them to touch my EFIs.

I felt like it gained more horse power without baffles. May be it is my mind (some times I felt like the that throaty noise encourages me to go faster and faster) Also it is nice to have this option as I enjoy quite rides some times. And noisy rides sometimes.
At the end of the day I needed the bike to run well. So no pop noise at all after I fixed the baffles again. I will not remove it again till I can get the EFI remapped. It would be a much better idea if more holes can be done on the baffle rather than removing the whole baffle out. Because the back pressure seems to be doing an important role.

Last edited:
I like your modification Chaminda, you have really used your head on this…with being able to remove and replace the baffle.
I could still do this to mine, as it is I only cut the baffle out not the centre piece, by drilling out the rivets, then doing what I needed and replacing the rivets with stainless steel ones (marine grade).
BY the way, I guzzi enthusiast here advised me to use 91 petrol….don't know what you put in your Guzzi…but it made a huge difference to back firing and stalling….for me.

Be great if you did a video sound clip …..if you have something decent to record the sound on …GoPro or similar.

I like your modification Chaminda, you have really used your head on this…with being able to remove and replace the baffle.
I could still do this to mine, as it is I only cut the baffle out not the centre piece, by drilling out the rivets, then doing what I needed and replacing the rivets with stainless steel ones (marine grade).
BY the way, I guzzi enthusiast here advised me to use 91 petrol….don't know what you put in your Guzzi…but it made a huge difference to back firing and stalling….for me.

Be great if you did a video sound clip …..if you have something decent to record the sound on …GoPro or similar.

Thanks McBean, Yep I used mostly 95 Sometimes even 96. I thought 95 is better. I will try 91. Thanks.

Resurrecting a very old thread. Any updates or video footage of arrows with the baffles removed? Did you have to get the ecu re-mapped?

Todd, would the guzzitech remap solve decel popping?

Resurrecting a very old thread. Any updates or video footage of arrows with the baffles removed? Did you have to get the ecu re-mapped?

I didn't try guzzi tech remap. But I remapped from the dealer. It got better but not completely fixed. My decel popping happened only on down the hill. It was not major at all. My suggestion is if you want to remove it then do it. If you can't fix the decal popping then modify the baffle and put it back like I did above. Honestly you don't even notice it is modified by looking at it.Will try to upload a video about it in next week.

Hey Trialsn, Just check this video. I didn't have the best camera to record but you might be able to get an idea. if you use a head set...it might be sounding bit better

Last edited:
I'll have a V7 in house tomorrow that I can record for you, and yes it sure will.

I didn't try guzzi tech remap. But I remapped from the dealer. It got better but not completely fixed.
Almost all dealers cannot upload any maps outside of stock bike parameters unless they are willing to risk losing their dealer license and enduring huge fines. There are a few that do.

Chaminda, thanks for the clip! the removable baffles are pure genius, however I'm not sure I can do that here.

Todd, I'd love to see a sound clip if it's not too much trouble.

Hey all,

So I just received my gift from Piaggio (refer to my other thread for past issues). I'm planning on cutting out the baffles this weekend. Is a 2" whole saw really all that's needed? Just want to make sure I don't run into any snags.

Another probably stupid question. In the original post, it was mentioned that a lot of the baffle was removed. How is that done? Do you just drill out the centre within the baffle itself (see picture). Just curious here.

Attachments

• IMG_3386.JPG
    IMG_3386.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3385.JPG
    IMG_3385.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 27
My opinion is that it seems like a waste to destroy the brand new Arrows, but that's your call. You could get good money for them, and then buy a set of Mistrals with removable baffles...just saying.

Also, my experience with free flow exhaust (which was probably freer flowing than the modified Arrows) was not only decel popping, but backfiring during warm up, sometimes loudly. Also, there was a noticable flat spot between 4-5K.

With a re-map (Todd's), the bike runs like the engineers intended it to. And cooler too. So plan on that if you are doing exhaust. If not, it will only run worse than it did stock.

You probably know the market for MG accessories in Toronto isn't the best, and I'm really not willing to go through the hassle of posting them on Ebay...hence my current position.

There are two members on this site (see above) who have actually performed this modification with positive results. I do plan on getting Todd's remap at some point next year.

Back