RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - Happy New Year. We’ve added a ‘Ask the wrench’ section for those who have made a donation to the site, for fast and effective help from the most experienced and knowledgeable here. Be sure to click on the Store link/tab above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GT products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. You will get shipping info when your order goes out. PLEASE refrain from using the Contact form here to ask about your order Status, or questions best posted to the Forum. Be sure to try a search; Most questions are well covered here already. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something you’ve purchased from us. We do not have a phone number; We are online only. You will find us highly responsive via the Contact form with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future.

Rollerization

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by j duncan cooper, Jan 21, 2016.

1. j duncan cooper

j duncan cooper Tuned and Synch'ed

I have the "C" kit in-hand to mod my A5 engine to rollers. I've read the excellent how-to thread on another site. Now the dilemma....

I think I would like a competent mech to install the kit....but....
    Guzzi dealers come in many levels of competence. Before I turn my bike over to some unknown mech to perform major 'surgery' , it would be really nice to know if he had done this operation before. So...

Does anyone know of a mech East of the Mississippi who has done the mod ? A "referral" if you will.
    I live in Cleveland, OH, and mid winter is the prime bike-maintenance season.

If you know of a place or a gent who has done this before, would you please pass it on. Thanx !

2. abbienormal

abbienormal High Miler GT Famiglia

Unless Aaron has returned to All Seasons in Wooster as far as I know they don't have a wrench that knows Guzzis. You have Pride of Cleveland scooters two stores that I know zero about since one salesman/owner/whoever he is made me mad enough to stop going there. I have stopped at the dealer outside of Pittsburgh and it looked like a nice shop but no idea how service is. I think Jason Speaker is still wrenching down in Stuebenville. He was a dealer for Guzzi. No idea if he has done the roller conversion but I have heard and my experience dealing with him was he is a good wrench and a decent guy to deal with. Only problem is his work area looks like a bomb went off but it works for him. If you look up Speakers Cycle he still comes up.

3. j duncan cooper

You are correct about All seasons. They told me they don't have their Guzzi-guy any more. Prie of CLE is a new-to-Guzzi dealership, and I have heard nothing about their competence. I spoke to the Pittsburgh dealer and they had no idea what "rollerization" was: so much for them. I'll call Jason Speaker and check him out. Thanks for the info !
    Coop

4. j duncan cooper

I spoke with Jason Speaker this morning. He's out of the MG business altogether, and is in another line of work which leaves him no time to take customers. Such is life with a rare brand.....

5. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

There is Guzzi Steve near Atlanta Georgia. East of the Mississippi as you mentioned, but a heck of a long haul.

Getting it in is not too bad. But yours involves the C kit. That means pulling the heads, a bit more involved. I did mine in my garage, with no special tools. I just took my time. If you can rent/buy/borrow the PROPER spring compressor it would help a lot.

6. j duncan cooper

Swallowed hard and went with the local Guzzi dealer, Cleveland Moto. They opened her up to inspect the tappet faces. It wasn't pretty. The right cam box:
    Tappet face.jpg

OK...now the left
    Tappet face 2.jpg
    The left cam.....
    cam face.jpg

Having owned a KLR in my sordid past, I felt the tappet issue to be a little like the doohicky problem: isolated and over hyped by the Internet's connectivity. Not now. Pete in Oz is right.

I HAVE to comment on CLE Moto. They have been exceptional. The technician texted the pix to me, called me, and was VERY helpful and customer oriented. I am impressed. Kudos to these gents !

7. brlawson

brlawson Cruisin' Guzzisti

Fortunately, you caught it before any major damage was done.

I was not so lucky. 60,000 miles

[​IMG]

8. j duncan cooper

Did you flush the oil system out after rollerization (is that even word......) ?? Also I'm considering cutting the oil filter open to see if there's any DLC chips captured there....

9. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

You'll not see it. It doesn't really 'chip' off. What comes off, is coming off in microscopic bits, so it is more like a powder. I couldn't tell if the slight amount of black power I found in my sump was DLC, or just carbon.

Good to hear about the Cleveland dealer.

10. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

Bruce, it looks like your photo is on a secure Google site, and we can't see it.

11. brlawson

How about now?

DSCN1252.JPG

12. j duncan cooper

So.....not to start another oil war....but...
    What oil is used AFTER the rollerization is complete??
    Are most folks staying w the pre-roller 60 weight AGIP stuff??

13. brlawson

It's as good as anything else on the market.

14. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

I'll stick with it myself.
    Well, actually I'll be switching from Agip/Eni to Liqui-Moly because it is a bit cheaper.

Bruce, yes that photo works. Lots of wear there.

15. abbienormal

I PM'd you Mr. Cooper. I was wondering how much it cost to get the rollerization done and which Cleveland shop you used. Hopefully Mentor as Lakewood is a bit farther from me.

16. j duncan cooper

Abbie
    I used the Lakewood branch of Cleveland Moto. The tech's name is Johnny; and he seems VERY conscientious. I spoke to him for about an hour while he was in-work. I don't have the bike back yet because I gave them the incorrect fork seals to replace, and they had to order the correct size: my bad. I expect I'll have it back next week, so I'll PM you then.

OBTW... CLE Moto is moving their shop fairly soon. Don't know the exact date, but they're moving to Kamm's Corners, to a much larger facility. This may factor in to when they can do yours.
    Regards
    Duncan

17. abbienormal

A call to Cleveland Moto and I was told to change the oil. ride it for the summer and bring it in in November. Of course spring work is hitting them hard and they have a few more waiting for the rollerization job. The alternative is to take it in and get it back many months later. Since I plan on a long trip, over 4,000 miles I hope, this summer I think I prefer to have my bike. I see guys on here with many thousands of miles on their bikes before it is done so I am guessing this is a safe bet. He wants photos to determine what kit it needs so I am waiting to hear what photos he needs before I bolt the valve covers back on. I checked the tappets and clearances were reasonable. With my low mileage, 2,900, it was only out by 0.001" on the 2 inlets on the left and one exhaust on the right. That could just be how whoever set them last did it. I learned on the Honda V-Fours that when both are on one rocker you insert a feeler gage under them both at once or you can get a false reading. That was their initial claim before they finally fessed up to inadequate oiling.

18. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

Sadly, when it starts to go, it goes fast. Check the clearances often until it get rollered.

19. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    http://rosefarmclassics.com

Not next door for you, but I trailered my Griso 1400 miles r/t to have Jim Barron do it.

Bill

20. abbienormal

Is that round trip? Did he do it in one day and you just stayed over and waited for it? That is 465 miles from my house. I won't mind drive over, drop it off, kill a day or 2 and drive back. But to drive over, back, over, back is a bit much. I keep looking at this and wondering if I should do it. I would love to enter riding season with this thing ready to go and be able to trust it. Lack of trust is why the 2007 Norge went away.