• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Sato rearsets and brake return

yukonica

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Finally got around to installing a set of Sato rear-sets I bought from Todd last fall. Installation was straight forward. I took the bike for a short 20 km ride to feel-out the ergonomics then came back in to tighten and locktite each bolt to the torques specified. I set the brake pushrod to roughly the same amount of play as the stock unit (checked before I pulled it off).
Now, when I press the pedal down, the rear brake works but the piston in the slave cylinder doesn't push back hard enough to disengage the pedal. Brake light stays on, there's drag on the wheel, and I need to 'toe up' the pedal. Suggestions?

Both the Stone and Racer set up have a spring for the return. I haven't personally installed any yet, but I have had a Stone here that had them with no issue. I'll try to get him to check in here.

I'm going to pull, re-torque, remount the entire rear-set this weekend. If that doesn't work then I'll be looking at where/how to mount a small spring.
If you have any suggestions down that lane I'd be interested to hear them. Thanks. D.

Hey Yukonica, I'm the owner of the bike Todd is referring to. I have a '13 Stone and I replaced the stock controls for Satos. I never had any issues like the one you are mentioning, but I wonder if it has to do with the distance you are setting your control at. Did you try any of the multiple choices to set the main pedal on? Perhaps the piston's spring is weak for some reason, and if you are maxing out the leverage it may be getting stuck that way... may be worth a try. Also, did you check to make sure the piston is properly "greased"? It needs to be pretty loose in there.

Hi Aladino, thanks for the reply. Foot peg is furthest back and highest. Toe pedal is middle hole at maybe 20degree down. Hits the sole of my just in front of the ball of my foot when I press down and rides clear when I relax. Pretty much where I want it. If by piston you mean the connecting push rod I did dab a bit of grease on it before assembly. Maybe more is better. I think my best course of action is to pull it apart and start over. I either torqued something to the wrong spec (was watching MotoGP so that may have happened) or haven't set the pushrod correctly.

Yeah, that's what I meant, the connecting rod. The only other thing I can think about is the little rubber spring creating a bit of a vacuum inside the cylinder and preventing it from moving out. Perhaps you can check that and if needed, widen it out a little to allow some air in. Good luck and let us know how it pans out!

Thanks Aladino; I pulled the foot lever in prep to disassemble the whole rearset. I checked the return spring pressure and it worked properly so I put the gear lever back on... and it didn't work. Hmmmm? Loosened the gear lever bolt (almost out) and the spring worked.
I put a spacer between the rearset frame and the lever; everything was good until I torqued the bolt to spec. My solution, for now, was to back out the bolt, apply copious red locktite, reset the bolt by hand pressure until the spring didn't work then back the bolt out 1/4 turn. I think it is torqued to 3/4 spec or thereabouts.
Again, thank you for taking time to help me out. Cheers, Yukonica

Hmmmm, that's so strange. I had no issues at all installing those. Spacers would be the way I'd try to continue to test. The only other thing I can imagine is the rod being misaligned with the piston for whatever reason, so it rubs inside of it when torqued properly. By adding even more spacers (perhaps more than seems necessary) you may be able to align it. Who knows tho, I'm throwing things at the wall and see if something sticks (other than the piston!). Good luck and keep us posted!

Hmmmm, that's so strange. I had no issues at all installing those. Spacers would be the way I'd try to continue to test. The only other thing I can imagine is the rod being misaligned with the piston for whatever reason, so it rubs inside of it when torqued properly. By adding even more spacers (perhaps more than seems necessary) you may be able to align it. Who knows tho, I'm throwing things at the wall and see if something sticks (other than the piston!). Good luck and keep us posted!
It is definitely alignment. The problem seems to rest at the ball joint that retains the push rod. Rather than being more or less vertical, the ball is listing to its maximum lean angle. Looks like there will be two stages of spacers; one at the lever and a second at the bolt holding the ball joint. Should level everything up nicely.

Back