• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Solve Aux Light Short Circuit with Rubber Cable Ties?

Bonaventure

Cruisin' Guzzisti
As I learn about this awesome new machine in my garage, I remain aware of an issue with the auxilliary driving lights where the wires become cut through by apparent abrasion caused from vibration. I can only see where this can happen as being where the wires to the lights run along the crash bars and are secured to same by plastic zip ties. I immediately understood the potential risk and I noticed the protective sheathing of the starboard light's wire already showing signs of abrasion where it contacts one of the zip ties. So, while I intend to spend the $15/ea or thereabouts cost to upgrade the wiring harness of each light to the fused version, as sold by AF1 or, if sold here, then here.

But I thought of something else. Could the entire issue also be solved by swapping out the hard plastic zip ties with soft rubber cable ties? I see where those could be of benefit in a high vibration environment.

rubber%20clamp%202%20-%20large.jpg

Last edited:
That is only one spot and usually not an issue unless the tie is too tight. The rubbing happens inside the light. If the wire touch the side of the housing they run and then short from the vibrations. You can try and coil them in the boot but eventually the come out and rub. If the wiring does not get us eventually the stock bracket will break. There are better solutions to the lighting if needed. You can get the stock to work but will just take a lot of tlc.

It's a frequency vibration issue, all lights mounted on the paint-shaker engine mounted crashbar will come apart at some point in time. My suggestion is to remove them from that location... I am working on a frame mount to offer on the online Store here soon.

I can attest that my engine guards LOOK much better after GTMotoCycles.com removed the stock OEM Aux driving lights shaved down the tabs and re-powder coat it. As soon as Todd has the bracket I will be installing the Rizoma Aux Lights which are far better than stock. Yes a little pricey Rizoma is, but you get what you pay for. Go to the Guzzitech Store or PM Todd (GT-Rx) for more info on ordering Rizoma products.
http://www.rizoma.com/universal/light-kits/ee140/en

Back