RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - Welcome to the GT Forum. Posts here are to help with issues and questions related to your Guzzi & GT products - However, always use the Search feature first, as most topics have been well covered. Please see our store tab above; Off-site hyperlinks for competing products/companies will be deleted. Note we are still largely a one man operation; We are NOT Amazon, so do not expect that level of service. Orders can take a week or more to ship, and PLEASE refrain from using the Contact form here to ask about your order status OR questions best posted to the Forum. If you must reach out, reply on the actual order email with number. Refunds can take 5-45 days after processed in our system... we have no control over this. We cannot offer personal support to your questions, problems or issues unless related to a product you bought from us here. NO phone calls can be made - please do not ask. We are online ONLY. Thank you for your understanding and business, past and future. In SoCal? Visit GTMotocycles.com for all of your Service needs, or click the Service tab above.

Solve Aux Light Short Circuit with Rubber Cable Ties?

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by Bonaventure, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Bonaventure

Bonaventure Tuned and Synch'ed GT Site Contributor!

As I learn about this awesome new machine in my garage, I remain aware of an issue with the auxilliary driving lights where the wires become cut through by apparent abrasion caused from vibration. I can only see where this can happen as being where the wires to the lights run along the crash bars and are secured to same by plastic zip ties. I immediately understood the potential risk and I noticed the protective sheathing of the starboard light's wire already showing signs of abrasion where it contacts one of the zip ties. So, while I intend to spend the $15/ea or thereabouts cost to upgrade the wiring harness of each light to the fused version, as sold by AF1 or, if sold here, then here.

But I thought of something else. Could the entire issue also be solved by swapping out the hard plastic zip ties with soft rubber cable ties? I see where those could be of benefit in a high vibration environment.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  2. canuck1969

canuck1969 GT Reference GT Contributor

That is only one spot and usually not an issue unless the tie is too tight. The rubbing happens inside the light. If the wire touch the side of the housing they run and then short from the vibrations. You can try and coil them in the boot but eventually the come out and rub. If the wiring does not get us eventually the stock bracket will break. There are better solutions to the lighting if needed. You can get the stock to work but will just take a lot of tlc.

3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

It's a frequency vibration issue, all lights mounted on the paint-shaker engine mounted crashbar will come apart at some point in time. My suggestion is to remove them from that location... I am working on a frame mount to offer on the online Store here soon.

RUFULUS and decotriumph like this.
  4. RUFULUS

RUFULUS Tuned and Synch'ed GT Founder!

I can attest that my engine guards LOOK much better after GTMotoCycles.com removed the stock OEM Aux driving lights shaved down the tabs and re-powder coat it. As soon as Todd has the bracket I will be installing the Rizoma Aux Lights which are far better than stock. Yes a little pricey Rizoma is, but you get what you pay for. Go to the Guzzitech Store or PM Todd (GT-Rx) for more info on ordering Rizoma products.
    http://www.rizoma.com/universal/light-kits/ee140/en