• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Source for V1000 G5 fuel flap part

Frey

Tuned and Synch'ed
Bongiorno.

I've been working at snails pace -- or rather, infrequently when I have time -- on a ' 79 G5 restoration project. I can't seem to find for sale the little red jobbie that holds the lock core for the fuel cap flap. The flap itself is serviceable. See pic. Anybody know where to source one of these bad boys, or have one lying around from when you upgraded to a LeMans style tank? I wonder if I could come up with a 3d file and have one 3d printed.
IMG 1155

Thanks!

Frey

Excellent idea, Charlie, but it looks to be a different part and would not work. The V50 version actually flips up, whereas the G5 version, I believe, is immobile -- turning the key turns a latch ("clamp") beneath. Other ideas?

Excellent idea, Charlie, but it looks to be a different part and would not work. The V50 version actually flips up, whereas the G5 version, I believe, is immobile -- turning the key turns a latch ("clamp") beneath. Other ideas?

It's been 26 years since I had my G5, but I remember it "flipping up" just like the V50 one. In any case, check with Harper's concerning availability.

Anybody with a '79 G5 out there? I'd love to see a pic of your gas flap. Here's the parts catalog diagram picture:
Spare parts catalogue fuel flap close up
As I make it out, the core is held by this little (red) mount in the plastic flap and, beneath, part 46 ("clamp") swivels to latch with the tank ring.

Incidentally, the dimensions of the rectangular hole in the flap are roughly 20mm x 50mm.

Also, here's a pic of the underside of my flap:
IMG 1156
This looks somewhat different from the V50 version, and, again, doesn't seem to have any features to indicate that the mount thingy is a lever.

Given my broken piece and my assumptions about how the thing works and its relative symmetry, I spent last night learning the basics of SketchUp, and this evening generating an electronic 3D model. Before I find somebody with a 3D printer, it'd be nice to know that I've not deluded myself and wasted my time. Here's a screen shot of the model:
Moto Guzzi V1000 G5 fuel tank flap lock core mount SketchUp image
This should work, no?

Again, if anyone out there has the whole reference part, please shoot us a pic, or me some confirmation.

Cheers,

Frey

Back