• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Speedo Inaccuracy Fix

stinga

Tuned and Synch'ed
G'day all just wondering has anyone got any ideas on how to fix the - 8% inaccuracy displayed by my 1200 8V Sports speedo compared to a GPS.
Was wondering why me riding mates on rides always complained that I was going to slow so I checked it against a GPS and at a display 110ks I was only doin 102ks according to the GPS, no wonder the cops waved a smiled at me when I was doin 120ks (110.4), looks like it's a 130ks.
This means under controlled condition:cool::cool: with the throttle pinned hard against it's stop I'm only doin 220.8ks :(:(:mad::mad:, but the10000ks service interval are only 9200ks which can only be a good thing. And not to mention the false fuel economy figures
I know you can get a electronic device from S&S to go between the gearbox and speedo on Harley's to alter the pulse the speedo receives after gearing changes BUT is there such a beast for these Spaghetti slugs.
What with the amount of money you have to pour into correcting the fuelling, computer failures, cam followers (next service) and now speedo fixes gee wiz a Ducati Multistrada seem OK price wise.

Check your odometer against the GPS. While the speedometer is off the odometer is normally close or spot on. I haven't checked the odometer on my 2012 Norge but on my 2007 it was spot on. The speedo is slightly optimistic, I think 60 mph (96.6 kph) shows 61 (98.2) or 62 (99.8). Now if you are going to complain about that try a Japanese bike. Again I don't know about my odometer on my Suzuki 650 V-Strom but an indicated 80 mph is 72 or 73. My Brother's Yamaha FJR1300 has an odometer that is over 10% off. We checked it on a trip when my Norge said one mileage and his bike said another when we had ridden the same roads. That is why I know my 2007 was right. Manufacturers error on the high side of speedometers so they are not liable if a bunch of their customers get speeding tickets and they group lawsuit as it was the vehicle's fault.
Of course my 2007 fuel mileage was spot on also while my 2012 is about 30% optimistic showing 45-46mpg while the bike gets 34-35mpg.

FWIW, Stinga, my Norgeis also "optimistic," as is my Ducati ST3s (about 5 mph over actual). Elsewhere I read about discussion on this in the book Guzziology, and apparently it "could" be fixed... but might be just as easy to live with it and factor it in to your speed. Here's the gist from that thread...
----
"Thanks for the comments and, uh... thread drift.

Guzziology, in the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "Doh!"

One is holding down my coffee table. Sure enough, Dave Richardson had it pegged (pun intended). Some early EVs had the wrong driven gear. The correct gear should be available. He also suggests buying both the driving and driven gears as a set and when replacing the speedometer cable buy the inner and outer together and do not merely replace the cable.

There is quite an extensive write up on speedometers with tables of gears and speedos. He also mentions that a speedometer shop can correct speedometer error. But of course you would want to wait until you have the new bits installed first.

And Charlie B, he also says that Moto International has some replacement speedometers in 80 and 120 mph at reasonable prices. I have to give the man a plug. He wrote the book!"

Have a look at 12oclocklabs speedoDRD. They don't list a plug'n play solution for that specific bike, but they do have a 'universal' model. I have a plug'n play from them on my enduro that works well. Mostly to correct a gearing change (larger rear sprocket), but also a small speedo error. The good news is that I can make the speedo accurate. The bad news is that you can typically correct either the odo or the speedo but not both.

Easy fix! In the ECU, there is a setting for the calibration of the speedo. What you will need, is some software to be able to access it, change it, and rewrite the map back to the ECU. There are a number of values that are used as a baseline:
- No ABS or Conti ABS - 1547;
- Later N/B/S 2V no ABS - 13044;
- Stelvio Bosch ABS - 11811;
- Breva/Norge/Sport 1200 no ABS - 1630;

You will need to work out which way you need to adjust these numbers, using basic math, change them, upload your "new" map and go for a test ride.

TunerPro free is a package to allow you to see the mapping parameters, including the "Speedo Correction" table, this will require an XDF for the bike you have (1 or 2 lambda). You will also need some software to download your current map and then to rewrite it after you do these adjustments.

Hope this helps

Stinga,

I have a vague recollection that the ADRs were changed some years ago. Speedos used to have to be accurate within certain tolerances. Now they are not allowed to under-read but can over-read (by 10% I think). i.e. displaying 110kmh but actually doing 102.

How's the wheat crop looking out there?

- No ABS or Conti ABS - 1547;
- Later N/B/S 2V no ABS - 13044;
- Stelvio Bosch ABS - 11811;
- Breva/Norge/Sport 1200 no ABS - 1630;

Shouldn't the second line read with ABS Tony? That's the current value on my 2006 Norge 2V, which I've been trying to slip a remapped 1200 Sport map without success, even when I tweak this parameter back to 13044.

could be. I am simply quoting what is in TunerPro, presumably form the XDF file.

****Update - I sit corrected (too lazy to stand).****

Dave is on the money: 13044 is for N/B/S WITH ABS.

I was looking at Version 1.27 of the XDF - Version 1.29 has the right numbers...

My apologies everyone.

Actually, it really depends on the ABS type you have, so the model specific info may be a bit off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I havethe same accuracy problem on a G5 with a mechanical speedo. Just about 10% optimistic. Reading 65 is doin' almost 60 MPH.
I've chalked it up to "Italian Marketing."

Alex

Thanks Tony but that sounds a bit scary, had a 1100 sport that I put a MyECU into and what a headf*&k that was to try and get that thing to start properly and run clean.
My Sport is the poverty pack so no ABS but shit it needs it, so easy to lock the back wheel up during Volvo avoiding moments.

My Sport is the poverty pack so no ABS but shit it needs it, so easy to lock the back wheel up during Volvo avoiding moments.

I replace the rear brake pads with organic type, Premier PBP114 is what I'm able to get, but there may be others. Woefully pathetic braking is preferred to lockups.

Variables are tyre size and tyre wear. it would be expected that with original new tyres fitted, things would be fairly close to accurate. As things wear, variables do com into play...

Stinga,

I have a vague recollection that the ADRs were changed some years ago. Speedos used to have to be accurate within certain tolerances. Now they are not allowed to under-read but can over-read (by 10% I think). i.e. displaying 110kmh but actually doing 102.

How's the wheat crop looking out there?
Frigging awesome looks like some new Mercedes and holiday homes coming up, then again nothings changed lol

Variables are tyre size and tyre wear. it would be expected that with original new tyres fitted, things would be fairly close to accurate. As things wear, variables do com into play...
Was gunna see if there is a tyre with a greater side wall but then again that might effect the handling to much, you know that thing silk purse out of a pigs ear lol

I have the Technoresearch Centurian Diagnostic Kit for my 2012 8V Norge. The software has (among many other features) a tab to correct speedo error to GPS indicated input.

I have the same Centurion Software and have had it since 2012. I have never seen this option in the tabs with the 2012 version or the newer version. Where is it and have you used it? Pretty sure it will only work on Harley's as per the manual. It will not even show as an option once it knows your ECU.

Last edited:
I also have had my Centurian since 2012, and the original software did not have the Speed Cal tab. I downloaded the latest version, and viola there it was under the "Active Settings" (screw driver icon)

My Norge reads 100 KPH with a GPS actual of 97 KPH. Because the difference is so small, I have not bothered to correct the error. However, next time I have the Centurian hooked up I will see how well it works.

Go to the Technoreasearch website, and download the latest version. If you have any difficulty, their tech support is excellent.

Cheers
Walter

Back