• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Start-up button

Michael Bray

Just got it firing!
Faulty start-up button issues. I would like to hear back about the ways various folks dealt with this problem. In my case, the spring is no longer engaged. I can depress the button manually, and pull it back by hand because it won't spring back. Thankfully it does not stay engaged in the starting process, grinding away on the starter. However, lately, I simply pull in the clutch, and it starts. I have used contact cleaner and that helps. Unfortunately I only have a rainproof cover, but no indoor storage. This wet Pacific climate is penetrating and it can effect my electric contacts fer sure. The point is though, I have not replaced the starter button system because, ...well, heck. It just keeps on ticking. The barber where I get my haircut told a joke about Moto Guzzi's that all the other barbers laughed hysterically at. The barber said, "two fishermen found a moto-guzzi at the bottom of the pond recently. Old one. From the fifty's.". He fills in a bunch of the details to the joke and delivers the punch line, "one fisherman said: what's that flashing I see? The other fisherman shouted: it's the indicator!" Now, all the barbers working there (5 in row), all laughed so hard, they seemed to love it. I don't understand it, but feel free to discuss. Start up button

OK, So contact cleaner didn't work. You could try to find a spring that might work in place of the stock one but that will be difficult. Just replacing the switch assembly is the best course of action.

The barber said, "two fishermen found a moto-guzzi at the bottom of the pond recently. Old one. From the fifty's.". He fills in a bunch of the details to the joke and delivers the punch line, "one fisherman said: what's that flashing I see? The other fisherman shouted: it's the indicator!" Now, all the barbers working there (5 in row), all laughed so hard, they seemed to love it. I don't understand it, but feel free to discuss.

The flashers are still flashing, meaning that the rider (possibly the first fisherman even) just ran the thing off into the pond moments earlier. :D

Can I suggest that you remove the switch and see what is behind it. Many switches have a simple cover inside or are open to the handle bar area. Then you can see if it is simply a spring out of place or broken. Dont be afraid of your Guzzi as most things are fairly simple to diagnose and correct if required.

I used electrical cleaner on my switch gear once, freed all buttons up once dried - but since CARC bikes have Finicky wiring I did install a "Just in case" momentary button under the seat from the solonoid to the battery for a quick start. Not saying you need to do that.

Faulty start-up button issues. I would like to hear back about the ways various folks dealt with this problem. In my case, the spring is no longer engaged. I can depress the button manually, and pull it back by hand because it won't spring back. Thankfully it does not stay engaged in the starting process, grinding away on the starter. However, lately, I simply pull in the clutch, and it starts. I have used contact cleaner and that helps. Unfortunately I only have a rainproof cover, but no indoor storage. This wet Pacific climate is penetrating and it can effect my electric contacts fer sure. The point is though, I have not replaced the starter button system because, ...well, heck. It just keeps on ticking. The barber where I get my haircut told a joke about Moto Guzzi's that all the other barbers laughed hysterically at. The barber said, "two fishermen found a moto-guzzi at the bottom of the pond recently. Old one. From the fifty's.". He fills in a bunch of the details to the joke and delivers the punch line, "one fisherman said: what's that flashing I see? The other fisherman shouted: it's the indicator!" Now, all the barbers working there (5 in row), all laughed so hard, they seemed to love it. I don't understand it, but feel free to discuss.View attachment 35627
hey, what barbershop do you go where they're telling moto guzzi jokes ?

I used electrical cleaner on my switch gear once, freed all buttons up once dried - but since CARC bikes have Finicky wiring I did install a "Just in case" momentary button under the seat from the solonoid to the battery for a quick start. Not saying you need to do that.
I thought about installing a "work around" switch. you obviously had some success with that? Im not very savvy electrically or mechanically. I would think that "interrupting" any electrical currents could cause some havoc elsewhere in the bike.

Back