• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stutter problem on my B1100

actwin

Just got it firing!
My o6 Breva 1100 with 59,500 miles is giving me fits. At times it will act as if it is losing spark or fuel but only for an instant than it's fine. It does this in hot or cold conditions some times once in 20 miles other times 2-3 times in 20 miles. I have only been riding it to work and close to home as I don't trust it for longer rides. I'm the only owner, I checked the battery connections and cleaned them but no change. I'm ready to pull the tank and start looking for anything that looks wrong. Any help would be great, I need a long ride.

Does this happen at constant throttle or hard acceleration?

It does it under acceleration and constant throttle. I have the tank off but can't see anything like bare wires or loose connections anywhere, I have pulled on any wires that I can get my fingers on hoping to find something not quite right. I checked the ground, it's good and tight.

Same happened to my Breva 1100 a few years ago. Turned out the drain pipe that clears the water around the fuel cap was blocked, so water especially after washing, made its way into the fuel tank. The motor would occasionally momentarily die, and the lights would die with it.

While you have the tank off, trying blowing air back up the drain pipe and make sure it is clear. If you have to clear it, chances are you have water in the fuel. After a refuel, my problem went away never to return.

I wish that was it but I have refueled several times since it first started but I will check the drain pipe as you suggested. Could the fuel sensor have anything to do with it possibly? If I can't find the problem soon It will have to go to the shop $$. Thanks!

If the 1100 has dual plugs, the inner plug on one of the cylinders is possibly loose or off. Mine did this once, with the same symptoms, and it was a right royal pain in the arse to get it back on without removing the tank - doable though - you need good light and plenty of patience, if this is the culprit

Thanks I'll try that but now I have the tank back on! I'm gonna try some Chevron Injector cleaner too, I here it's good stuff so it can't hurt. May even get better mileage. Thanks guys for all the suggestions

I have an update that may lead to somebody helping me. Since adding the Techron inj. cleaner it has made the studder milder or maybe it has just changed on it's own. I have also pinned down when it does it the most, between 3000 and 4000 RPM. It seems it does it when I'm in a higher gear in this RPM range but not lugging it. Yesterday it did it a lot in mid 60 degree temps but today it never did it in mid 50 degree temps. Both rides were in the 25 to 30 mile ranges. Just a shot in the dark here... could the stepper motor have something to do with this or even maybe the Cat. Converter being plugged. It does have almost 60,000 miles on it now.

Yea I took the air hose and blew it back towards the tank but it didn't seem to help.

there have been reports of the air stepper motor sticking. if you can get some trumpet lubricant (used for lubing the slides on brass musical instruments) squirt some in the hose that goes from the airbox to the stepper. I read somewhere (maybe even here) of some other spray for the stepper - anyone remember?

Where exactly is the stepper motor located? I'm guessing the oil your referring to is a light weight oil so I could try cable lube to see if it helps. Thanks sooo much.

Where exactly is the stepper motor located? I'm guessing the oil your referring to is a light weight oil so I could try cable lube to see if it helps. Thanks sooo much.

Cable lube is too sticky, use the lube Tony suggested. It may be labeled valve oil. A good music shop should carry it.

I have exactly the same problem described here, and I know my drain pipe is blocked. Going to remove the tank and clean drain and check fuel for water. I will try to lube the stepper motor valve too.

Sometime later...
Emptied the tank and there was a lot of contaminate in there. The gauze filter for the pump inlet was covered in slime. I cleaned it all and put back together. The drain hole had blocked at the point underneath the tank, where the plastic pipe slips on to a metal nipple/tube.
Gave the bike a quick test ride and all seemed well It has a more positive engine beat at low revs. It felt quite different.

Last edited:
Back