• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

T-3 EXTERNAL OIL FILTER SUMP EXTENDER, FILTER OUTSIDE

across

Just got it firing!
Hi, I am pretty new to the forum so I want to take a minute to reintroduce myself as a newer member joining in 2014 and have only owned 2 moto guzzles a 2009 v7 and now a T-3. I love my 1976 T3 and the moto guzzi community.
Recently I have decided to add the external oil filter sump extender for my t-3 and I purchased my kit from MG this week. I have searched for info on the oil capacity once the extender was added and could only find vague recommendations.
Should I keep the same capacity at 3 quarts or add more oil with the additional space with the sump extender?
Thank you to anyone who has knowledge or recommendations for this application.

Last edited:
Welcome and congrats on both bikes. Hope you'll add them to the Registry pages.
No instructions with the spacer regarding level? Always good to ask the people you buy it from, but as a general rule of thumb, always add enough to put it on the dipstick in the normal position/level as before. On the older big blocks, stock pan, is 3 qts.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a dip stick for a bike with the sump spacer to replace the current one. Lowering the oil level in the crankcase prevents the crankshaft from frothing oil. Yes the external spacer has a windage tray, but it is best not to over fill the crankcase.

I was always taught to maintain the original oil level. The engine is designed for a certain amount of splash and it will be the same if you use the original dipstick and level. One of the advantages of the lower sump is the increase in capacity which puts less stress on the oil and increases the cooling capacity. I would stick with stock oil level and rely on the fact the Guzzi Engineers had a clue what they were doing when they designed it. Unlike the new bikes where you can't fill them to the full mark unless you want to oil your air filter (my 2012 Norge).
Just my $0.02. These other guys have way more Guzzi experience. Most of mine is Jap bikes.

The main advantages of fitting a sump spacer are two fold.
Firstly it lowers the oil level below that of the crank and thus prevents the crank from churning through the oil.
Secondly, it adds air volume to the crankcases and helps prevent so much oil being chucked out of the breather.
The above post is the first time I've ever seen someone advise filling the oil level to the original level with a sump extension fitted...this
is NOT what you do. I fitted a sump extension to my LM2, and use a LM1 dipstick, re calibrated for the lower oil level.

I fitted a sump extension to my LM2, and use a LM1 dipstick, re calibrated for the lower oil level.
So then why wouldn't they supply one with it or at least advise on where it's to be set? This is the very stuff I get drug into the fire pit over on for my offerings.

I emailed MG cycle where I purchased the sump extender and they advised I keep the same capacity of 3 quarts and purchase a longer dipstick if I wanted. Thank you for those of you who replied. I will add to the thread if there are any important developments with this.

Last edited:
So then why wouldn't they supply one with it or at least advise on where it's to be set? This is the very stuff I get drug into the fire pit over on for my offerings.

To be honest, I thought this info was fairly wide spread amongst the Guzzista fraternity.
I bought my extension from these guys in the UK, and as you can see, they do say that you need a longer dipstick.
If you look here, 4th item down is the sump extension:
http://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheSh...ion&f=d&Model=7&search=SEARCH&spPage=2#topbar
and here is the dipstick needed, 2nd item down:
http://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?q=sump+extension&f=d&Model=7&search=SEARCH

Back