• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Throttle Lag...

I had one of my spark plugs separate from the plug threads when removing. Everything porcelain came out and just the plug threads stayed in the head. Used a easy out inserted in the plug and screwed right out easy.

Has happened to some stelvio owners also. The torque spec in the manual was wrong and they were over tightening them. They would be riding along and all of a sudden one cylinder would go dead.

Ok so the shop picked up my bike and kept it for a couple of days to re-create the issue. Just go the call...the issue was one of the valves was too tight, causing the engine to misfire when at extreme temperatures. Engine was scoped and no damage was done. O2 sensor will be replaced as well, which will fix the high idle.

Hopefully that's that!

I will report back as soon as he drops off my bike (hopefully in a couple of days) as he mentioned he was going to wet sand some scuffs out of the paint. My parking spot looks empty with just a car parked in it...

That would be the properly adjusted valve clearances. As the saying goes…a tappy tappet is a happy tappet. It is when it is quiet that you have an issue. Suggest u grab a manual and any necessary tools and learn how to do the adjustment. Will give you peace of mind knowing it is done properly. Glad it worked out for you. Just in time for the snow.

I'm slowly learning. I'll study the manual over the winter months.

Still time left for riding, 12 degrees next week!

Well it seems it's a little more complicated than re-adjusting the valves.

The bike is being picked up again to replace wiring that holds the spark plugs and whatever else may be causing the issue.

Glad this is happening now and not during peak riding season. I'll keep people posted as this thread should house the complete compendium of throttle issues haha.

Well it seems it's a little more complicated than re-adjusting the valves.

The bike is being picked up again to replace wiring that holds the spark plugs and whatever else may be causing the issue.

Glad this is happening now and not during peak riding season. I'll keep people posted as this thread should house the complete compendium of throttle issues haha.

Usually a bad plug wire will result in cutting out of one cylinder or skipping in the engine. Again, I hope this is the issue but it does not really fit your symptoms.

When they replace the plug wires, have them also replace the sparkplugs (and make sure they are the right temperature range/spec for the bike). If they damaged the plugs (ie. dropped) a mis-gapped plug will give you your lags in throttle. Don't have them re-gap the plug, ask for new ones. Failing that, may be a coil starting to go or the last suspect, a bad ECU/TPS. Would not be the first ECU that has been bricked. All it takes is a bad ground or someone hooking something up incorrectly or a bad map upload/check.

Thanks for the tips. I told them to not return the bike until it's 100% fixed. The big thing is having them recreate the issue.

Man, I hope they can get to the bottom of it soon! I hate that you took it in for the first service, and wound up with this problem. Hopefully it is a simple fix. A spark plug wire or loose connector. Appreciate your continued posts, best of luck on a successful resolution.

At the very least, there will be a single thread with every conceivable option to resolve throttle lag.

The bike is being picked up tomorrow at noon. I'll provide updates as I get the information. Thanks to everyone who has helped out!

The shop still has my bike. Told them to keep it until they are certain it's fixed (which is almost going on a month). I suspect that the length of time they've had the bike is due to the weather we've recently had (freezing temperatures and snow).

I had a similar symptom happen to my bike when I first got it. I had the crazy bog/surge feeling on the way home. It was a plug wire cap. It was a loose connection, and I would go from running on one cylinder and then suddenly back to two. It had recently been serviced, and I'm guessing they were a little rough pulling the wires. The stock pieces are pretty fragile.

This is taking a long time to figure out the issue. If they can't figure it out this time, I would think the lemon law should kick in?

As stated above, we do not have a lemon law. Regardless, I really don't think that it's at that point.

I did however manage to pop into the shop yesterday. I was pleased to see that my bike was stripped down to the frame. They are thoroughly checking everything...and I mean everything. Just waiting for warmer weather so they can take the bike out and ensure everything has been resolved (major reason why it's taking so long...winter in Canada).

I'm told the lambda sensors were replaced as they were deemed the cause of all the issues I've experienced. Additionally, the "emissions stuff" (for a better lack of words) fell off during the time my bike was away. Runs perfectly now. Still not entirely sure how the lambda sensors caused the issue, but I'm told something was reading the temperature incorrectly, therefore starving the engine of fuel or dumping too much in.

Anyways, I'm glad that's over!

I'm told the lambda sensors were replaced as they were deemed the cause of all the issues I've experienced. Additionally, the "emissions stuff" (for a better lack of words) fell off during the time my bike was away. Runs perfectly now. Still not entirely sure how the lambda sensors caused the issue, but I'm told something was reading the temperature incorrectly, therefore starving the engine of fuel or dumping too much in.

Anyways, I'm glad that's over!

Hey Chris,

I'm new to this and been getting the same issues as you, how is your bike now? Also when this was all happening, did you also notice that your bike not feeling like it had its full potential power in general? For me it just seems like it's gotten tame, struggling and stuttering after every gear change. Hope all is well now.

Back