• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Took the Barn Door Windshield Off...

Dropinparts

Tuned and Synch'ed
When I bought my Custom, I had the stealer add the OEM Touring Windshield because I thought I would need it. Coming off a Griso I was used to not having a windshield, but this bike has seemed a bit hard to handle to me. I've owned plenty of big bikes, but this one was bugging me.

Today I took off the big windshield and took a ride. It's like I have a different motorcycle.
My confidence level went through the roof! I would have never guessed the windshield was that big of an issue, but it was for me.

Just thought I'd share. ;)
Rear_zpsuolpimhp.jpg

Funny, I haven't ever ridden the Touring, so I've only ever known the Custom with a small fly screen (one of my designs), and I find the bike to be quite remarkable... so interesting for you to note. Fun. Enjoy.

Funny, I haven't ever ridden the Touring, so I've only ever known the Custom with a small fly screen (one of my designs), and I find the bike to be quite remarkable... so interesting for you to note. Fun. Enjoy.

I would really like to see what you are using for a small fly screen. I had one on my Rocket III that was made by Triumph. Looked really good on the bike.
image.jpg1_zps5ouh4eeq.jpg

When I bought my Custom, I had the stealer add the OEM Touring Windshield because I thought I would need it. Coming off a Griso I was used to not having a windshield, but this bike has seemed a bit hard to handle to me. I've owned plenty of big bikes, but this one was bugging me.

Today I took off the big windshield and took a ride. It's like I have a different motorcycle.
My confidence level went through the roof! I would have never guessed the windshield was that big of an issue, but it was for me.

Just thought I'd share. ;)
Rear_zpsuolpimhp.jpg
Like your way of thinking, even a small fly screen effects the handling and feel of any bike, I defiantly wont be fitting one to Audace

Got up to 65 degrees here today, so I got out for a couple of hours.
I'm so impressed how much better this motorcycle is without the windshield.

I have the factory fly screen installed on my Custom. No effect on the handling that I can detect.
I had a fly screen fitted on my previous Griso and noticed a remarkable difference, not saying it was making for ill handling just a noticeable difference to totally naked, much prefer the look of C1400 with flyscreen than large tourer, but that's my personal view. My Stelvio had the standard screen set in lowest position which suited me, where as my mate with his opted for the larger screen fitted on highest settings, each to our own, personally didn't like looking through the screen

Hey Kiwidave,
Would you please post a few pictures of your Custom with the Sport Screen?
Inquiring minds want to know what it looks like on the bike.

Here's one I already have, taken recently at the bottom of the South Island of NZ. You can see the size from this photograph, the top of the screen is only about 20mm above the speedometer.

I like the way it mounts, using supplied brackets that attach inside the brackets that hold the headlight. I always wondered the purpose of those tapped holes; now I know. I can easily remove the screen by undoing four screws, leaving the brackets in place. The barn door screen can then be quickly attached using mounting grommets and a plate under the steering head (triple trees). Not that I want to do this, but if the weather was shite and I needed to ride, I might consider it.

Cali 1400  Bluff

Thanks kiwi dave. I ordered one from AF1 Racing today.
What pipes are those? I have Mistrals on mine. They sound awesome!

They're Mistrals too, carbon fiber slipons, from AF1.
Don't appear to be available anymore. I have trouble with the bracket that holds the chrome over near the front breaking. After I received the map update, I was hoping that this wouldn't happen anymore, but it did. Fast self taught lesson in stainless steel TIG welding has fixed it for now.

Large fork/bar mounted screens really do mess up the handling. Last time I used them was on Honda CB750s back in the 70s. I'd pop it off occasionally and what difference in handling I would experience.

I tried a cut down aftermarket full sized screen on my Cali last year. After several attempts I finally gave up. I couldn't get a lower screen to work without unbearable buffeting. Finally I found an OEM sport screen, mounted it and have been reasonably happy with it.

Several personal observations on riding the Cali Custom:
  • Extended high speed riding (75 mph and above) with nothing to break the wind is very fatiguing. You will find yourself hanging on for dear life.
  • Getting a screen to fit your personal style can be a challenge. Buffeting can be a real issue.
  • With no screen your head is in clear air. Interestingly enough you don't always experience this on all naked bikes. I found that my Griso and my Cali Custom (with no screen) put my head in clear air (I'm 5'10"). This is a very pleasant way to ride in that it's relatively quiet.
  • A fly/sport screen on the Cali Custom solves the high speed riding problem. I did a 570 mile blast back from West Texas two weeks ago, much of it at or above 80 mph with no issues. HOWEVER, any fly/sport screen will increase the wind noise level from air turbulence - no buffeting but increased noise.

Here's one I already have, taken recently at the bottom of the South Island of NZ. You can see the size from this photograph, the top of the screen is only about 20mm above the speedometer.

I like the way it mounts, using supplied brackets that attach inside the brackets that hold the headlight. I always wondered the purpose of those tapped holes; now I know. I can easily remove the screen by undoing four screws, leaving the brackets in place. The barn door screen can then be quickly attached using mounting grommets and a plate under the steering head (triple trees). Not that I want to do this, but if the weather was shite and I needed to ride, I might consider it.

View attachment 8132

Got mine on today. I painted the inside of the screen and it looks bad ass. :cool: IMHO...
Installed%20Painted_zpsqv9ppjdo.jpg

Logo_zpshpwllea3.jpg

I like the look of the back painted. Did you just spray it with a gloss black or did you have to rough up the back.

A friend of mine in the automotive paint business told me how to do this. Worked perfectly.
Clean the inside of the flyscreen. Do not rough it up. There is a Moto Guzzi decal inside that needs no attention either. It shows up better after painting.
Carefully tape the edges with painters tape. Comes off easy when you are done.
Taped%20Edges_zpsjhmyj8ln.jpg

Now, finish covering the front of the flyscreen with tape.
Completely%20Taped_zpsmjyjan4i.jpg

Spray paint the inside of the screen with satin black lacquer, NOT enamel. I got it at Home Depot. As long as it says on the can that it is for plastic, you're good. The outside becomes gloss black once the inside is painted. Looks like a factory piece.
NOTE: Do several light coats. One light coat, wait 20 minutes and do another. I did four light coats and it came out perfect. You don't want runs in it.
Spraying_zpskmh9xzsf.jpg

Last edited:
Since I took those pictures, I took the four screws back off that hold the screen on and painted them with the same black paint. Looks much better now. Stick the screws into a piece of cardboard, leaving the heads off the cardboard a tiny bit. Give them a few light coats and let them dry for a couple of hours. Mo better. ;)
IMG_1472_zpsisivnwzb.jpg

Last edited:
Back