• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Torque Wrench Range

Mayakovski

GT Reference
GT Famiglia
Hey All;

I will be picking up my Anniversario in a week or two (3 at the most) and am getting a few tools together to ensure I can take good care of her. I plan to get a torque wrench but am wondering what torque range will be suit her.

Below are the range options. Which is best for the Anniversario?

10-80 ft.-lb
10-150 in.-lb
20-200 in.-lb
25-250 ft.-lb
50-300 ft.-lb

Thanks
Maya

Best thing to do is to scan through the V7 service manual and look at the range of torques required. It's so much easier to think in Newton-meters than lbs-inch and lbs-ft ...

Most of what you see fit in the ranges between 3-25 Nm and then 25-60 Nm, with a few items (like axle nuts) going up as high as 80-90 Nm. Torque wrenches, like most measuring instruments, tend to be the most accurate in the middle 90% of their stated range, so buy accordingly. 1/4" drive for the low range and 3/8" drive for the high range. Be sure to get good quality allen and Torx drivers too, that fit in the space you need to work in.

And for torque wrenches in particular, and particularly in the LOW range, be willing to pay a good bit for good quality. No tool can cause more damage than an inaccurate torque wrench! Both Snap-On and MAC sell excellent torque wrenches; there are others as well.

My low and middle range torque wrenches are lovely, accurate and reliable pieces from Park Tools (3 to 15 Nm, 10 to 60 Nm), who service primarily the bicycle tools industry. The high range is a little short for the highest torques needed on the Guzzi, but I haven't run into needing any of the high torque points as yet. I'll buy a Snap-On in that range when the time comes.

I have a Snap on, covers 0-75ftlbs then you are good for all the 6mm threads that are 7ftlbs not much on bike bigger unless you are inside. I hardly use my big one for service work. Many have a cross reference right on the handle or digital readout that switch over from nm to ftlbs it is good to have a chart for kgm's also, if you are working on models that used that info.

Good day Maya,

All the torque values are called out in the v7 III ABS workshop manual (presuming you're getting a v7 III). If you haven't obtained one yet, it's a good resource. Note that all torque values are noted in Nm (with lb ft conversions).

You'll want at least two different sized torque wrenches, and I'd advise that you select the wrench that's nearest its mid to upper range of its rated scale for a given bolt size/torque value... Meaning, try avoiding using a larger wrench on a smaller bolt where the torque value for that bolt is at the bottom ~20% of that wrench's range.

So, continuing with the two wrench recommendation; you might consider the first wrench with a 1/4" drive in the ~30-200 inch-lb range, the other with a 3/8" drive in the ~20-100 ft-lb range.

Here's what I've been using the past few years:
#1; 1/4" drive 30-200 inch-lb micrometer clicker (for comparison; that's in the 2.5 ft-lb - 16.67 ft-lb range)
#2; 3/8" drive 20-100 ft-lb split beam or micrometer clicker

Specifically, my tool box has Precision Instruments wrenches (with an 3/8" Snap-on 5-75 lf-lb micrometer):
1/4" micrometer click: http://www.torqwrench.com/tools/item.php?StockCode=M1F200HXB
3/8" split beam: http://www.torqwrench.com/tools/item.php?StockCode=C2R100F

Regards,
Jake

I have a Snap on, covers 0-75ftlbs then you are good for all the 6mm threads that are 7ftlbs not much on bike bigger unless you are inside. I hardly use my big one for service work. Many have a cross reference right on the handle or digital readout that switch over from nm to ftlbs it is good to have a chart for kgm's also, if you are working on models that used that info.

How do you find such a tool?
The only 0 to 80 lbs ones I can find at beam type, and I have used them before and not been happy with them.

Well, mine clicks, been buying off Snap On tool trucks now over 30yrs since I started working on Guzzi/BMW/Ducati/HD professionally in shops. Just retired a year ago cause I don't want to be a dash mechanic or deal w/all the lectrics. My newest is a 98EV and I don't do gadgets or lectrical stuff I don't need, read paper maps & put on layers for cold weather. Got to be age I agreed to w/govmt and quit. Never made any $ but had a blast. I give back on forums cause the old guys now gone showed me.

Last edited:
How do you find such a tool?
The only 0 to 80 lbs ones I can find at beam type, and I have used them before and not been happy with them.

My torque wrenches are not Snap-on (wish they are sometimes), but they are Tekton. One of those bang for the buck, "not super high end but great result" type of torque wrench.

You can get them on Amazon.ca and not super expensive either.

My torque wrenches are not Snap-on (wish they are sometimes), but they are Tekton. One of those bang for the buck, "not super high end but great result" type of torque wrench.

You can get them on Amazon.ca and not super expensive either.

Actually that is what I had originally decided on but none of them are rated below 10lbs. Would that mean I could not use it on a fastener that called for 7lbs for torque?

Actually that is what I had originally decided on but none of them are rated below 10lbs. Would that mean I could not use it on a fastener that called for 7lbs for torque?
most of the 1/4" drive torque wrenches are rated in in-lb

Like the Pro-tip interchangeable one I have is rated from 40~200 in-lb. It is equate to 3.33 ft-lb to 16.67 ft-lb

or the Tekton 1/4" drive is from 10 in-lb to 150 in-lb (0.83 ft-lb to 12.5 ft-lb)

1 ft-lb = 12 in-lb

But overall, for these 10 lb and below torque, most of them are just "snug tight" and good enough.

The lbs-inch vs lbs-foot business is why it is so much easier to just go with Newton-meters (Nm). Besides, all the Guzzi torque numbers for the V7III are listed in Nm and translated to SAE values now ... Using Nm values has to be more accurate, as well as easier.

If you're buying tools for that, might as well get the Nm calibrated torque wrenches. Most have equivalence charts printed right on the tool.

G

OK, maybe I do not have it.
Example in the shop manual it specs 10Nm (7.38 lb ft) for the screws fastening the mudguard to the stabilizer.
But the closest I can find in this Torque Wrench which only goes down to 13.6 Mn (10 ft bs). So is that close enough, or are there really click Torque Wrenches out there tat go this low?

Example in the shop manual it specs 10Nm (7.38 lb ft) for the screws fastening the mudguard to the stabilizer.
But the closest I can find in this Torque Wrench which only goes down to 13.6 Mn (10 ft bs). So is that close enough, or are there really click Torque Wrenches out there tat go this low?

If you wish to stick to Tekton, here you go buddy

https://www.amazon.ca/TEKTON-24320-...5620&sr=8-1&keywords=tekton+torque+wrench+1/4 <--Sorry Todd!

If not, you can look for similar range with other brand but I do not have experience with other brands.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a Tekton torque wrench for accuracy just the way I wouldn't trust a Craftsman torque wrench. I've had bad experiences with cheap torque wrenches like that.

My Park Tools low range torque wrench is a 2 to 14 Nm (17.7 to 123.0 lbs-inch) click style tool which takes quarter inch drive sockets and drivers:
https://www.parktool.com/product/ratcheting-click-type-torque-wrench-tw-5-2?category=Torque Tools
US $111

The Park Tools middle range torque wrench handles 10 to 60 Nm (7.38 to 44.25 lbs-ft) and is three-eighths inch drive:
https://www.parktool.com/product/ratcheting-click-type-torque-wrench-tw-6-2?category=Torque Tools
US $127

A high range torque wrench (that I haven't needed yet) should be around 50-200 Nm. MAC, Snap-On, etc all make good ones in this range. Park Tools does not; they produce tools specific to bicycle mechanicals where wrenches in this range are usually suitable for motorcycle and automobile applications.

My advice would be to buy what you need as you find you need it rather than try to buy everything to cover all bases up front.

Some stuff you just use feel in your hand tightness and common sense tightness. Don't over think it

Back