• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Transkontinental Clutch

Tonerjockey

High Miler
GT Contributor
I picked up a Trankontinental clutch and like it!

TranskontinentalKlutch.jpg

Unfortunately I am not having any luck finding any info on it via the web.

Anybody know the history of this company, and/or where I might find another one?

Alex

I seem to remember something about them from the late 70s. I think it was also used for "race" applications due to the lighter mass. Also I think the design helped with the "My clutch won't disengage!!" syndrome common in that era. As for where to get a new one? I don't know. Possibly the 4mm spline development and lighter flywheels from the factory ended the popularity of this aftermarket item.

They aren't made anymore, for a long time. Parts come from a bmw k100 clutch. It was made in Switzerland.

Ah ha! Thanks for the infos.

This thing helped my Land Speed Racer to rev up. The push rod hadda be shortened a bit but it made a noticable difference.

Nice.

Alex

The spring fingers tend to work harden and the clutch becomes progressively harder and harder to use. They also tend to go through plates like a wino necking cheap flaggons!

Certainly not worth it on a road bike IMHO I'm also skeptical about teh RAM sisngle plate unit. FWIW I've never had any problems with the lightweight alloy flywheels and using a heavily lightened ring gear and I've installed a shitload of 'em.

pete

Pete, good to hear from you here, I used to quite regularly annoy you with questions on the Aus forum and much appreciate your help. Now I'll bother you some more, What's your problem with the RAM clutch, or do you just mean the factory one? I've had a RAM clutch in my LM1 since I rebuilt it and have been happy with it so far but have always had the idea that I should buy a spare clutch plate in case they dissapear off the net. Bear in mind that this bike is never going to do more than roughly 5000km per year, it's my weekend baby, should I buy a spare clutch plate while they are available?

Apologies to the OP if I'm hijacking your thread.

I used to run those in my Big Block racer (which I sold back in 94). I bought 2 and those lasted my through many years of racing, and a number of very hard starts. Only problems I ever had:

1) the ring gear bolts sheared off during practice at an AMA pro twins race back in 90 or 91. I pulled the tranny, and removed the now loose ring. Dr. John was there, and when he saw me do this, he removed the ring gear from his bike and switched to roller starters rather than plug in electric.
2) while doing a plug chop coming off the track at the end of practice, I welded the clutch push rod onto the throw out cup on the clutch, and the clutch engaged suddenly, locking the rear wheel. Only time I ever had a mechanical failure during all my years of racing guzzi, put me on the ground.
3) the plates (or pressure plates, I can't remember) used to get dished. I would have them dressed or replaced in the off season.

I consider these issues minor. Given how hard I abused them. At my peak, no one, and I mean no one, could beat me off the line. With these clutches, I could hold the revs at peak torque, feed the clutch and rocket off the line.

I tried once to bypass Manfred at Raceco, and go directly to the company in Switzerland. I have a second cousin that is swiss, and lived nearby the factory. They wouldn't sell to him, so I dropped that thought. Transkontinental later became TKN or some other 3 letter name that began with "T".

Mtiberio,

Great infos thanks!

I ran a Trankonental on a V7 Sport for an entire season at El Mirage and 2 sessions at Bonneville with no probs yet.

My use is different than yours, of course, due to the nature of the races involved. I doubt I shift 200 times a YEAR. As far as plug chop, I use the engine for braking after runs (I have never been real happy reading plugs).

I picked up a second unit from Scott in Sac Ca. and I think I'll replace the ring bolts as cheap insurance.

Thanks for the tips,

Al

Back