• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Turn ON/Off Traction control on V7?

On The V7-III models which I assume you have, you can toggle between setting level 1 (normal) and level 2 (more aggresive) by briefly pressing the starter button when the engine is running. The numeric display will show MGCT 1 or MGCT 2.

To disable the traction control, press and hold the starter button. The numeric display will show MGCT 0. Press and hold again to reactivate it.

Before you ask, I don't think there's any way of turning off the ABS. If there is, I haven't found it.

Is there a way to do this on the V7?

If you have a v7ii, there is only an on/off mode. You just hold the starter down for a few seconds while it's running. Nice & easy for when you want to rip that wheelie :)

Kiwi dave - I heard there is a way (to turn off ABS) that involves some odd pushing of buttons when you're going a very specific speed for a certain amount of time. Last I heard, this was still theory and hadn't been figured out by the forum post author

Not that I have a bike with ABS but does anyone know what it does when the wheel sensor is disconnected. I would assume the fail safe is that the brakes continue to work.
In that case you could either splice in a switch or find the proper connectors and make a switch wiring harness

At the risk of upsetting the electronics on the bike and getting a huge "SERVICE" on the dashboard. No thanks, I haven't thought of any reason why I would want to disable the ABS yet.

I can see the need to disable the rear ABS on for example a Stornello used off road. Not sure about Guzzi's service warnings and how to clear that from the dash.

Got this from the Kawasaki Versys forum:

Tried, tested, and confirmed:
"My fix: I simply unplug the ABS sensor for the rear wheel. The ABS still functions normally for the front wheel (I’ve tested it), but with the sensor unplugged the ABS will not function for the rear wheel."
ABS Kill Switch For Versys | GT-Rider.com

I have been told just pulling the fuse to the ABS system will do it with little drama.

Reactions: GR1
I haven't thought of any reason why I would want to disable the ABS yet.

I've had two bikes with ABS.
The first was a Cali1400 & the brakes on that bike were great!
Never knew when the ABS kicked in the bike just stopped like it had power brakes,

The 2nd bike a 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour & the ABS is disconnected. Worst brakes system I have ever seen.
Pulled into a gas station tried stopping at the pumps and the bike just kept on going. Thought i had forgot how to stop.
Sometimes in a parking lot the bike would "pulsate" that is surge when the brakes were applied.
The system was inconsistent & the dealer could not make it work correctly.

Some owners have had the same experience some have not, Polaris would not recognize the problem.
Even with the ABS disconnected Victory brakes still leave a lot to be desired.

On The V7-III models which I assume you have, you can toggle between setting level 1 (normal) and level 2 (more aggresive) by briefly pressing the starter button when the engine is running. The numeric display will show MGCT 1 or MGCT 2.

To disable the traction control, press and hold the starter button. The numeric display will show MGCT 0. Press and hold again to reactivate it.

Before you ask, I don't think there's any way of turning off the ABS. If there is, I haven't found it.
For the ABS you can pull the fuse, take the seat off, and it's the one that sits the highest, Guzzi probably did this on purpose to make it easy.

Why would anybody want to disable their ABS system? I cannot understand that at all. It’s a safety and control feature that is imperceptible unless it actually has to engage, which if it does engage, you needed it! 🙂

Many may think they are better at braking than they really are however no human on Earth can modulate and cycle the pressure in a brake system anywhere as quickly and efficiently as the ABS system.

Why would anybody want to disable their ABS system? I cannot understand that at all. It’s a safety and control feature that is imperceptible unless it actually has to engage, which if it does engage, you needed it! 🙂

Many may think they are better at braking than they really are however no human on Earth can modulate and cycle the pressure in a brake system anywhere as quickly and efficiently as the ABS system.
Off-road my friend!

I understand that but we aren’t on a dirt bike here are we? We were talking a V7 right?

Moto Guzzi offers this feature on the bikes it designed for occasional off-road use like my Stelvio NTX. Not sure if even the Stornello does or not. Cannot see it being a necessary feature of 99% of the V7 platform.

I have similar thoughts about traction control.
Surely if there is enough grip to wheelie, then the TC won't be triggered
Or am I missing something??

I honestly don’t know as I’ve never tried to wheelie an ABS street motorcycle.

I suspect the system might try and engage as the wheels go out of sync.

I gave up doing those types of antics long long ago along with riding in the dirt.

but do you think active TC limits engine performance a bit?

Of course.

Its function is to maintain wheel control and traction at all times so if you like to open the throttle very rapidly and all at once, I am very confident that the traction control will get involved and slow things down a bit.

yes, in fact, a slight decrease in torque is perceptible, I also have the rear tire to replace and this makes things worse I think

I wish that I could turn off the traction control permanently. At level 2 my V7 850 Special runs very badly. My brother’s V9 Roamer was the same. I leave mine on level 1, which the owner’s handbook states is for general roads anyway, simply because it remains set at that less intrusive level when the ignition has been turned off. Sadly if I want to run it without t/c I have to turn it off each time the ignition is turned off and put up with an annoying warning light. On a relatively low-powered bike like this I can see no point in t/c. I’ve had older much more powerful bikes without riding modes, traction control or ABS, though I’m fine with the latter - it’s just that I wouldn’t not buy a bike just because it lacks this safety aid (or dumbing down of rider skills).

unfortunately you have to deactivate it every time you turn the bike back on.
ABS will continue to work at all times, MGTC at zero only deactivates traction control.
It seems to me that if you want to accelerate hard it is better with level "0"

Back