• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 classic bigger oil pan?

1st guzzi

Just got it firing!
Is the 1qt. bigger oil pan really needed or is just for those who ride and corner hard racing to help with oil starvation in really tight G-forces at very high speeds. I,m thinking for my sedate senior riding it is over kill. I plan to change oil every 3k with syn. oil. What is a good syn. Guzzi oil?? Luv this machine it looks great sitting still. And it sounds like Italian angels playing trumpets in heaven. Hooked in Medina Ohio.

1st guzzi said:
Is the 1qt. bigger oil pan really needed or is just for those who ride and corner hard racing to help with oil starvation in really tight G-forces at very high speeds. I,m thinking for my sedate senior riding it is over kill. I plan to change oil every 3k with syn. oil. What is a good syn. Guzzi oil?? Luv this machine it looks great sitting still. And it sounds like Italian angels playing trumpets in heaven. Hooked in Medina Ohio.

Actually the larger pan is cheap insurance. The 750 engine doesn't hold much oil and a loss of some of it can lead to catastrophic engine failure. This type of engine failure was fairly common on the early 750s before people knew to watch the oil level closely in new engines as their consumption rate was fairly high. If you don't take any long trips (say over 500 miles) only ride 25 miles at a time, and check the oil lever before every ride, then the pan may be overkill.

The smallblocks gets HOT, and do need a good oil. Stick to the Guzzi recs as found in your manual, a synthetic 10W-60. You will find a suitable oil fullfilling the specs at Agip, Motorex, Silkolene and Penrite. As I know of.

As John said, a sumpspacer gives some more leeway.

I forgot to mention, I use Mobil1 15W50 in these small blocks, and also in big blocks. Seems to hold up just fine. Also easier to find in the US. 10W60 is something you have to mail order and stock yourself. Not available at the usual supply houses on this side of the pond.

john zibell said:
Not available at the usual supply houses on this side of the pond.

Neither on this side. But BMW (car) dealers/shops usually have it, as it's the oil recommended for the "M"-series.

I don't have the extended pan, and am comfortable without it. I have it on a BMW, and find it just adds weight and more oil to deal with during changes.

I trust the Guzzi engineers (oh no!) regarding the oil capacity and check the oil frequently. Checking often is the best advice overall, but you go your own way.

Joe

I believe better safe than sorry. I have ordered the sump extender from Guzzi Tech, and am waiting patiently :woohoo: for it to show up. :whistle: Hmmmm I believe it is over three weeks now :angry:

sign216 said:
I don't have the extended pan, and am comfortable without it. I have it on a BMW, and find it just adds weight and more oil to deal with during changes.

I trust the Guzzi engineers (oh no!) regarding the oil capacity and check the oil frequently. Checking often is the best advice overall, but you go your own way.

Joe

Would this be the same Guzzi engineers who designed the valves on the Lario? :lol:

Having said that, I have checked my oil regularly since buying the bike. I topped it up a bit after a two up ride to Wollemi and back soon after I bought it and haven't needed to add any since.

I still check it before every ride though, just in case. I may well get a sump extension, but I'm waiting until the exchange rate improves again for the South Pacific Peso.

rossw said:
I'm waiting until the exchange rate improves again for the South Pacific Peso.

:( it has been good recently too.

I got a bit of a scare on my 750 Breva as she did chew through some oil recently, 250ml It can disappear quick. I guess too many excursions to the rev limiter recently :woohoo: oops. But I did leave the dipstick “just” done up too. I think she needs really tight as there was some oil spill on the outside of the dipstick hole and the o-ring on mine is also rather 2nd hand.

Do the 750’s discolour oil? Mine is looking a touch dirtier that I would have expected at it’s age.

Mal said:
rossw said:
I'm waiting until the exchange rate improves again for the South Pacific Peso.

:( it has been good recently too.

I got a bit of a scare on my 750 Breva as she did chew through some oil recently, 250ml It can disappear quick. I guess too many excursions to the rev limiter recently :woohoo: oops. But I did leave the dipstick “just” done up too. I think she needs really tight as there was some oil spill on the outside of the dipstick hole and the o-ring on mine is also rather 2nd hand.

Do the 750’s discolour oil? Mine is looking a touch dirtier that I would have expected at it’s age.

Mine doesn't seem to. I think the dealer changed it before I bought it so it was pretty clean. The time to tell would be after I get home again and I'm commuting every day. Right now, it's only weekends when I'm home. I only rode it in the rain for the first time on Saturday (and nothing stopped working :cool: )

Maybe yours needs some more running in before achieving a good ring to bore seal? And yes it's apparently important to do the dipstick up tight. I haven't had mine come loose, and I found out on Sunday that if there is a rev limiter, it is well beyond the limit shown on the tacho. Perhaps the rev limiter was the valves bouncing :lol: ?

The exchange rate was good a couple of weeks ago. Then Greece couldn't pay their bills... I'm thinking after that crisis and the next Federal election (regardless of who wins) it should go back up and my sump spacer will be a bit cheaper.

oldmanjob said:
I believe better safe than sorry. I have ordered the sump extender from Guzzi Tech, and am waiting patiently :woohoo: for it to show up. :whistle: Hmmmm I believe it is over three weeks now :angry:

You know, Ed's crafting those spacers by hand. His knife has prolly gone dull :mrgreen:
I think he's doing a lot at a time, so they are not necessarely on the shelf when orders come in.

Mal said:

Yes they do.
But dirty looking oil is a good sign. It just shows that the oil's doing a part of what it's there for; keeping the engine clean.
Though it can also give a hint of what temperatures the oil has reached. I used to go with an easy accessable 10W-50 oil, but the texture looked like molasses when drained, suggesting that the oil partly was resinated.
Doesn't happen with the proper quality.

The engine oil gets dark, but what surprises me is the final drive oil. That comes out dark as well, and that's just from gears gnashing. No combustion there.

Joe

My oil level cap has not backed out and 400 miles no oil use. Back 3-4 decades we use to race aircooled Vw beetles. Going from 1600cc to 1850 cc with near triple the HP. Because of the HP increase and displacement increase we would add oil cooler ,high volume oil pump and bigger sump pan with baffle to keep oil from foaming. We were putiing out 130-140hp compared to the 58 stock h.p. But my stock VW 1300cc never had no problems driven as transportation with stock hp and oil pan. I think the same of the Guzzi V7 keep it stock and don,t race it. If not broken don,t fix it,just mantain it and drive it like your pet baby and use it don,t abuse it. You will be fine. Ciao!!

john zibell said:
I forgot to mention, I use Mobil1 15W50 in these small blocks, and also in big blocks. Seems to hold up just fine. Also easier to find in the US. 10W60 is something you have to mail order and stock yourself. Not available at the usual supply houses on this side of the pond.

I found Motorex 10w60 at a local KTM dealer. It is specified for some of their models and they keep it in stock.

Ed, thanks my sump extender is in the PO and because Post master O'BamBam :evil: shut the windows on Saturdays I will have to pick it up Monday :(

Bill

Back