• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

v7 drive shaft grease

elkgrichard

High Miler
Is it ok to use a multi purpose marine grease on those splines?

Or would it be better to use high pressure wheel bearing grease?

Reason I ask is because I've noticed or have found a little bit of water penetrates into that shaft housing because the lack of a seal on the joint, metal to metal situation going on. So water will get in there. I use grease on both facing surfaces which probablu helps a bit with water intro.

On BMWs, the splines are lubed with high content moly, such as Honda Moly 60, Guard Dog GD-525 or Starburgs. The M-G won't be any different. The carrier on any grease will be thrown off, so its important that lubricant remains on the splines once the carrier has disappeared. The moly bonds with the metal in the splines and continues to work. Any of these lubricants I would recommend.

We've always used the Honda Moly 60 on out Triumph Rocket 3 splines with good results.
My was dyno'd at over 140 ft pounds of torque. Rear is still good. 2009 bike

I recently did some research on premium greases with extreme pressure additives and found AeroShell 33MS aviation-grade lubricant.

shell.com/global/products-services/solutions-for-businesses/aviation/aeroshell/products/greases/grease-33ms.html

It's wicked expensive if you buy a whole tube (~$30/14 oz.), but you don't need a whole tube during a normal lifetime. Smaller quantities can be found on ebay.

The splines are often ungreased from the factory, so any lubricant is a huge improvement. Honda and BMW both made spline lube at one time. You could also use any "open gear lube" with its good cling qualities.

It's bugging me there is no seal between those matting parts on that drive shaft.

Thinking about making my own seal next time I have it apart with my up-coming rear tire change.

Maybe some waxed meat cutter paper would work. Don't want anything too thick and it needs to repel water.

I'll see how my greasing on those two mating surfaces worked in keeping water out of there when I get this thing apart. If I find water again I'm trying the meat cutter waxed paper home made gasket.

I can't believe they mated two metal surfaces together without a gasket of some type.

I've found so many things on this bike that drop my jaw. Continuous work in progress.

It's bugging me there is no seal between those matting parts on that drive shaft.

Thinking about making my own seal next time I have it apart with my up-coming rear tire change.

Maybe some waxed meat cutter paper would work. Don't want anything too thick and it needs to repel water.

I'll see how my greasing on those two mating surfaces worked in keeping water out of there when I get this thing apart. If I find water again I'm trying the meat cutter waxed paper home made gasket.

I can't believe they mated two metal surfaces together without a gasket of some type.

I've found so many things on this bike that drop my jaw. Continuous work in progress.
It is a bit strange, especially considering that other MG models do have a gasket there. MG has two part numbers for these gaskets, 12352600 and 12352900. Maybe one of them would fit. They're pretty cheap, you could buy both, see if either fits, and report back to this forum so the rest of us can benefit.

Back