• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 II or III

Anccert

Just got it firing!
I'm looking at purchasing my first Moto Guzzi in the V7 lineup. I have the option of picking up a new 2016 model V7 II Stone for a pretty good deal given that the dealer is trying to make room for 2017 lineup, and Moto Guzzi in addition has a promotion going on on last year's models to make head room for the new V7 III. I understand that the V7 II has only been in production a couple years before the V7 III's are coming out with several new updates, particularily engine components (crankshaft, oil sump, venting system, cylinder heads, pistons, etc.) which one article says the V7 III lineup is "guaranteeing higher performance and reliability".

The "higher performance" of the V7 III, though not what I'm looking for, is nominal in my opinion, in addition to the bike gaining roughly 50 more lbs. The reliability however does peak my interest. I wanted to get peoples opinion on if the improvements made to the V7III will likely create a more reliable bike as the article suggests, or should I grab up a 2016 model at a steal?

Have you ridden a V7? If you are happy with the power, and are happier spending less $, I would say grab a V7 II at a steal. The V7 II was only released here in the U.S. for 2016 with ABS and traction control. Also, I'm not sure where the 50 lbs is being stated, but the V9 @438 lbs vs. V7 II @417 lbs. I suspect the weight gain will be similar.
I offer a 820cc big bore kit for the V7 I & II if you really want more power down the road -OR- I can build you a 820cc 4V-head version -OR- I am working on converting a V9 to a V7, to offer for sale to those interested. It won't be cheap though.

I'm not concerned with more power. I'm more concerned with the availability of parts down the road since the V7 II only saw one year in the US. One of the articles, which I think has been copied a few times listed the new V7 III weight for the Special and above as 470 lbs. Also, I'm wondering if the V7 III changes to the engine components (crankshaft, ventilation, etc.) will likely yield better reliability than the V7 II? It seems Moto Guzzi is in a state of mid-life crisis with the V7 lineup. Maybe 2018 will see a V7 IV.

I'm not concerned with more power. I'm more concerned with the availability of parts down the road since the V7 II only saw one year in the US. One of the articles, which I think has been copied a few times listed the new V7 III weight for the Special and above as 470 lbs. Also, I'm wondering if the V7 III changes to the engine components (crankshaft, ventilation, etc.) will likely yield better reliability than the V7 II? It seems Moto Guzzi is in a state of mid-life crisis with the V7 lineup. Maybe 2018 will see a V7 IV.
I wouldn't worry too much about finding V7II parts. The great majority of the V7II parts are identical (with identical numbers) those on the earlier ('13-'15 USA) V7s. For that matter, many of the parts haven't changed since much earlier models. If you want to learn about parts, snag parts manuals for several models. They're immensely informative.

Good afternoon. For me it was a done deal to get the V7 II. I have been following these for many years and I felt that the 7 II is as close as you are going to get to perfection before any changes. They can tell you what they want to on the 3 but for me, the 2 has been tried and true to date. I think the savings alone would be the biggest incentive to go with the 2. It depends on what you are looking for in a bike. If you are looking for more punch, then maybe the CB1100 is for you. I was looking for something with a little more power than my Suzuki TU250. I believe I found the perfect bike in the V7 2. I would say, save the big money, purchase the 2 and let the 3 ride for a while. You can always trade up at a later date if it kills you but for me, I'm very happy getting the unchanged model. Besides, I like the older gauges.

The unboxing

The new bike and the 2011 TU
jCkr_Mf6eUdAsMficL0dKfJ1imLD92m33DzER56MDjWVQZaLuWxCRi6Hgpmpa3fxbaEgL2ho-25Y_XYnb2iAC0GVxQ0hqc40BGWFMZiRMrjpe1GpHd49RRVeb2F5QszA6l0RoFW0NkF8iBoNOd0wKYmkwVvxJhsoobV-b_pbq4-9O9UJoW-ydgv52_8FrGIZOTOzJk9bzlIMLgHBFjKjPvG-vQwT7GkddAaVDlKGAjffXo3S84BgOcfzAX04M47fllMb4NwBbEsTfhf3UNp88zPNzd9oV9Nr0REnLtCoPL09TZ7myZphK_OgEDDweZjUvHuPHBd_qJEErwTcaF1uj2Covqqg8hLk5bbk1F-Gh1pV2PYqE9GrxmuC30TzFnKgpACk3_PCZvg5HxArhfY8gXmN3IIJ00T1NpsvfmDZxYGi49aqWdsdYyVJUUznUXWolEzl7WQy3WGWmVObMrpWkp4Wi-NrISnNvcW-De__VlNQZ0qJ0WU2A6pvjoyn_LySEIhGaSGVso29MnQ-LbdeCy9xb53ynX64jUP2bolgt0hoMiiSzNSQpACp8CsGgKw8ZyXzOaXZimFMl_H3Z2GKTybuIJiz_esUcHM59YLWYMCvB4yIKAOd=w988-h741-no

I'm out of room. The TU has to go.
pmt040OAtRSSpwSRJFJ3HQb6vwJqVZapo46Tqy9Ad2537qaAEyvKJoeu1H_AoylMsD96JLO6X8DCeZfBWD2fhsnV2qFPZ_qIbEBUpj8hKYWS6uWy9eI0msVaSv8aLxHqwQ6kqXQbQw-9fT3yP9B4TsHu3OQg9cl6She4t4WZ_zvXOQ2K9BtRC3Tz9r0qD6Bz22DxfmpIJQ_4L--Fl0ER3fm4OvXWIw_sbjxFqUbcMX2Hjd1Hwr8z2oopqmYgUzipqQZlIRnM6aBzPLsAdr0QLznkGQMa6YvIsMEqAJS3EWs-1x3IBQGGdER0DCUDByx3vwnGQQlgruDP4bsK_tYKrbz-fgQj-cXM-udBDb40K9AG0b5GVD_r6B3HKpJMWUmamUBblbS_114ymUXbsFlaRY6-IhYcZtsJenP6xUQxjU2PuDFpU5UJM6T9L9YGT20_P5H85CJhPQkHrey_8qywE1jLoZCE2qFZ6KY-MvAHYmC6BGEt7QndurORhsrbSjwFnF-NGpmstxHsP0xFB4xFiMUVBrzmrKrqtC1XIdyWigFqYuNWl-fdbkxa6yblvVcfPlROVcHXKEJSAt_m92QC7Ves8WQsFWqJ6Odj02JNQcLLnEznD_Oy=w988-h741-no

Out riding to the end of the world with a friend
S-2yvCW7FWwJ04VjU_7IZpLxWrdAhJd0HMWuJWqsuhrXh4MFnMHM-zhF-lN-3W45dyMmu_hzHyw639e6Lvi2TWnhha1ByQIieWrznTSUCh6XcJ_E4IWdEqvcpgF6IucK07DKs9rwa1oPEOOmjI7WbX20YOAttWH9tljZIuDjmTOpf7m3ACvXK2mlkmQsxdbnCYCniCGXR69yoVn4s87nfP4oUOElK0dp-sP7V0u0kR-qMjBQJLkqydfj7ndhHO5bNx6iYWR-CoRaw7xqgywfGKAoMaVbbF_wlUbu4XT553OkEdju8YgWKzfP4lg9SQu921mDp3q3WthrofnAF3RoQaYZhKI3enfkhONNa4GWSnWhtB1XivqSHri8B2XCdIdFmBwY6yMrp1tvTbyeTT3WRr52ppWV5xQdsZHmfBpmcztbc8bsRlpO-OG04eraxg9lB3KYnW1ashnajKl_KNSJgpw6FIVOQgQYU6z1-A6vbO_hxz7qNdMUQU-1QkOg6-tDWnYrc2TSoGdjxbvcnMrPqVdZ2-p4gCDh9g3qXvgBqRI4idVdmJNe10Xmh0My8D1-Vu8Ioh-2GPWGWzb0sOQAzaxKUahpG9EpHOuWrfyZ-r7u_nCmUdwZ=w1123-h741-no

Yeah I think I'm going to go with the V7 II. The price is just too good, and I'm used to having a tach, which the new Stone is missing. I'm simply looking for that comfortable, low maintenance (no more chains), all around bike with enough pep to keep up with highway traffic when needed. I'm moving from the Triumph modern classic realm into the Guzzi line. I sold my Thruxton because my back no longer agreed with the riding position.

Thanks for all of the feedback. How many miles do you have on your Stone Darmie?

I'm at 424.
tnrwmWUUaF057Hpw99ioojmmlUth9vsZalYjQkf77AbA1FA9CghLN0j74Xgpij0MwwbHsHgoWviY2NP_1b0Agv6AwUP4Dagcm9scuv5XkBO-WBsQ18QWPL3Z5zRI5J9d6gyUVMoNcA9KW-JOwmu9s8dFgz41idyizKOyYtiS5RC9pMmNhDypHIyoJT_rVQTzmVeh4_O2J98R_nLsGwJ_LwdFuXfMUYqKkL4OFMcKGhcyhfHsb0TlMktS98y3pnIWmO3GxA_mECKbUREwAHwMc4ldQJzEfaOQxWu_vK1opM9XpegeHYUTUm5ONQE0kNmS78QFzSjUymUew9TUJhaSkRPXoy86QFe8Xm5-Kvvl5YnqNX0l8uHFEWeNeYnjtfzJHvt4DAthrUXGtvP8PrNmvHGqRSWWoajcY33QkMuWWg0fB1-T73Q35oTQmzWcov8rCVarxRJzRJeg5lxuCAOt_0UkxCPH87rvXpuQ4alw4XWpZ6tA-0RybQphrHvtRH_7jrYD9LIZIjkYU7WZHrWnd0VtMzZVogrQuQdZsNR_FYoHQlwzaEom8jR4-3i0fqiwUVpIseItCs1yoIEHJ1TyJCzfGrbDQLVPB2MQNGHnIH4m32ncO55H=w1316-h682-no

I"m getting all my stuff ready for the first service. When I purchased the bike, I picked up the oil and transmission oil and the final drive oil along with crush washers and valve cover gaskets and oil filter.

xBLlYox9jK8HvsA_toIezSkmnTlmtwEzOP83z7FPSw6qqj-cW6dcn3etMuv-qLQSgmBC8KZ7qes7ZpyF5wZqYxG6GWt3uKlpIkjW_Z9ZYgIObVMhi7h4n_EqdGU9qL7feIlaJuq-hYJoatCxA_f-gg9iViTqwa7H04BBI1TzIETUTcNAanfspG4NxGHWbUBSB00SM9K9qzx3AvTiPqkLQscckWUvBjfvi3s-0hBRZR711iT--o-K5zxUNgQbUw1AjzoC0qIrPil4L3ClTGpgmYnym8MDKcL36vL4NurOj9mD5ohe49y6U6QBvTGUCM8d-WnjcdaNyJuSR4r8fZnVJ8uRW1e4YIRvOUPPcspXpHdmAsTayd5lqhjgssXAeed0GL9nEcdyH0TehaX1n6XVCoBrjnswzSkiBRUxchTT9EmKNk-DXtvwk5qCxa-jvapXpa3picwjv_ts2sdUo9FmyJcjb0eCJHf3g_c2VgEeun-WydRa1P0WvFaUTynUAQUELnGEwSA21_JORwNKSs9O46dScQLWFdV9C2SjtmJ6iyQQtzGyScQBxLkePaboIauYUkaTLIkUzodd9ch4RH5PR7sRgOibkGBFMH2TuJ6Y-4QKDJy8fu3y=w923-h692-no

Don't think I'll do that again, That oil was a bit pricey.

I picked up over the weekend some hex drivers to use with my torque wrench. I need to get a new set of feeler gauges. Mainly I have a partial set I use for the TU.
I have been eyeing this jack for a few days now too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017IFQI5A?psc=1

All in all, I think I'm ready for the service.

I'm wanting to do some aftermarket exhaust as well.
I've been eyeing this tank back too.
http://www.rapid-transit.com/Products/Recon19.htm

Faced the same "dilemma". Ended up grabbing a V7II Special. Quite honestly, given the choice between the V7II and V7III at the same price point, I would still go with the II. I like the analog gauges, and not a fan of the fact that the III has a lot more electronics stuffed into it. When you consider the fact that the V7II was priced so well, it was a no brainer.

Yes, I'm with you on the electronics. I've been following this 7v for a while now and I also think that the 3 looks to modern. Now for someone that's just coming to the arena, I'm sure the 3 will age well. Yes, that blue does look sharp. I'm thinking a wrap may be in my future. Besides, that wrapping does look fun.

I thought the V7IIIs are going to be "fly by wire" instead of the traditional cables.
Where are you getting this info? Assuming it also uses the same MIU TB/ECU, that all V7 from 2013 to current and V9s use, it is not designed for RBW (Ride By Wire).

Honestly, if you can get your hands on a leftover V7, go for it! I absolutely LOVE mine... and undoubtedly you can get one at an absolute steal. There are some left out there waiting for a lucky owner... I have never found myself wanting for extra power even two up... either way, a V7 is forever... :cool:

IMG_0206.jpg

There's been some confusion over the throttle control on the MIU control unit since the introduction of the 1TB V7s. Part of it was probably the early reports that the throttle assembly seemed to be capable of a non-linear relationship to the cables.

If accurate the Marelli website may shed some light on the subject and at the same time suggest how the TC functions were likely Incorporated:

http://www.magnetimarelli.com/business_areas/powertrain/motorbikes/ecu

The control unit pilots up to 2 injection channels and 2 independent ignition channels, DC-motor for throttle movement and for those versions that require it, the traction control management is integrated at the logic level.

I've seen some partial RBW applications similar to this in the marine industry where cables run to a potentiometer on the motor and the throttle is still electrically controlled by a motor.

In this case it sounds like the throttle is fully mechanically controlled (heck it's in the control unit name) on models without TC or mechanically controlled but electronically altered on models wth TC.

I'm just guessing but it sounds like the DC motor can alter throttle plate relationship to the cables via a variable cam connection or the like. Which would be a simple way to incorporate TC function to an otherwise mechanical throttle.

As I understand it, the throttle IS mechanical, BUT there is a stepper motor-controlled idle adjustment for cold starting, that works in conjunction with the O2 sensors, to (try to) keep the cold idle high enough to not die while complying with emission rules. Also, as I understand it, neither the O2 sensors nor the motor-controlled idle adjustment have any function once the engine is warm.

I have a PDF in the Resources section that talks in depth about the ECU/T-B. There is an ECU controlled valve that uses an extra air channel around the throttle plate that is used to handle cold idle. The 02's are always being used below ~30% throttle.

As I understand it, the throttle IS mechanical, BUT there is a stepper motor-controlled idle adjustment for cold starting, that works in conjunction with the O2 sensors, to (try to) keep the cold idle high enough to not die while complying with emission rules. Also, as I understand it, neither the O2 sensors nor the motor-controlled idle adjustment have any function once the engine is warm.

I think it was Pete Roper who mentioned the throttle cables attached to a plate that had a non-fixed position to the throttle plate (as in the throttle plate could be varied by the referenced DC motor).

I believe that was separate from the stepper motor which is listed in that link I provided as being for "minimum control management" i.e. idle speed, and not "throttle movement" as stated about the DC motor.

So I'm thinking the motor is to close the throttle slightly (in reference to the cable controlled position), thereby helping to regain traction from over-throttle.

As such one could argue it's a "partial RBW" as the ECU has SOME control of the throttle plate electronically.

Pete Roper who mentioned the throttle cables attached to a plate that had a non-fixed position to the throttle plate
Well clearly he has no idea WTF he's talking about. TC is 100% spark control based on the wheel rotation to RPM table.
Why do I even bother posting...

Back