• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 II ENGINE FAILURES & CLUTCH ADJUST NOTICE!

stick by your guns! It's about time Guzzi woke up to real world quality control.
It's strange but I don't really look at it as a Moto Guzzi quality control issue. My understanding is that it is a single part that is failing across a wide range. I would be more concerned if it was a multitude of different issues spread across all bikes. My problem with this whole ordeal has been a lack of transparency on the behalf of the dealer and starting the whole issue off blaming me for an action. If I pay a dealer 495 dollars to setup the bike plus 400 dollars for the 1k service then you can damn sure that the only one adjusting that clutch cable is going to be the dealer. I guess being new to bikes I'm just not sure if this "screw the customer" is something that is just this dealer or every powersports dealer. I'm not a fan of car dealers, however I know twice a year someone is going to call me to make sure I'm happy with my car, and if I would like them to bring something to my house to check out. It seems to work well for them I have bought three cars from them. I would not mind having a Stelvio or a Norge in my garage.

It's strange but I don't really look at it as a Moto Guzzi quality control issue. My understanding is that it is a single part that is failing across a wide range. I would be more concerned if it was a multitude of different issues spread across all bikes. My problem with this whole ordeal has been a lack of transparency on the behalf of the dealer and starting the whole issue off blaming me for an action. If I pay a dealer 495 dollars to setup the bike plus 400 dollars for the 1k service then you can damn sure that the only one adjusting that clutch cable is going to be the dealer. I guess being new to bikes I'm just not sure if this "screw the customer" is something that is just this dealer or every powersports dealer. I'm not a fan of car dealers, however I know twice a year someone is going to call me to make sure I'm happy with my car, and if I would like them to bring something to my house to check out. It seems to work well for them I have bought three cars from them. I would not mind having a Stelvio or a Norge in my garage.

I was wondering why I had not seen you on any recent rides with the group. Now I know. Bummer to hear that, man.

The previous dealership, before they were bought out by the current dealership now (equivalent to something like an Auto Nation for cars, in my opinion), made customer service a priority and they were taken care of as best as possible. They had a good reputation, overall, here in Vegas. A couple of my friends who were the previous dealership's customers expressed concern over how customer service would be once they were purchased by the new dealership. For me on one hand, they were the only place in town to help me get a bike. However, the Service Department seemed sketchy when I was quoted over the phone one price for the bike's first service but then the price went up dramatically when I actually got there. They were never able to give me a straight answer as to why it went up another $100 from the price quote over the phone. I'm already apprehensive of Service Departments at any dealership, and this did not ease my concerns.

I'm going to be making an appointment in the next few days with the dealership to have them look over and adjust my clutch cable. Todd was right, I usually don't find difficulty finding neutral at stoplights until after the bike had been running for a little while. Can I just do it myself? Yes. But I would rather have the dealership deal with it since the bike is under warranty and I will stress to them I have not touched or modified the bike, other than swap the seat out. We'll see what they say.

Love my Moto Guzzi and I get stopped and/or approached by people much more than when I was riding my Suzuki GSX650F. I want to see them grow in the US market. I just saw the MGX-21 Flying Fortress. I'm not old enough to ride a bagger/dresser yet (hehehe), but man, that is one sexy looking machine and I can see myself riding that!

Hi all, im very interest in this as I'm head over heels on a v7ii special - brand new 16plate model and I came across this issue. Do we know if this bearing and lack of washer issue is only isolated to engines / batch of engines that were used for state side guzzi's? Sorry "gootsi's

.... My understanding is that it is a single part that is failing across a wide range....
I'd like to know what that understanding is based on. My understanding is that it is NOT a part failure, but an assembly error where the part was omitted. I could be wrong, of course, and I agree that Moto Guzzi needs to be more transparent so we can determine which is the case and how many motorcycles it affects, as well as the serial number range.

Hi all, im very interest in this as I'm head over heels on a v7ii special - brand new 16plate model and I came across this issue. Do we know if this bearing and lack of washer issue is only isolated to engines / batch of engines that were used for state side guzzi's? Sorry "gootsi's
I can wager a guess as to say yes, this is likely the case. First post here looks to possibly be ~100 bikes/VIN range. Perhaps some there in Oz at the importer might be able to shed some light (with integrity). Let us know if anything surfaces.

My understanding is that it is NOT a part failure, but an assembly error where the part was omitted.
This is correct and I changed the post title to reflect.

I can wager a guess as to say yes, this is likely the case. First post here looks to possibly be ~100 bikes/VIN range. Perhaps some there in Oz at the importer might be able to shed some light (with integrity). Let us know if anything surfaces.

Hmmm that may be a problem. The importer for Guzzi's - or should say piaggio group has just changed hands so many of the dealers are in limbo on everything.

Unfortunately here down under it seems the guzzi network isn't very well supported - or shall we say not supported as good as it should and needs to be which from trolling the internet seems to be a common thing around the world - apart from Italy of coarse!!

Not that it's a massive issue for me - there is a dealer close by but many of guzzi dealers are flogging off the brand for some reason in quick fashion....but that combined with a pretty decent engine mishap from factory is adding up to be a little off putting!

But in saying all this, it could happen to any bike manufacturer and it has!!

Ugh, this is so unsettling because I spent the winter completely modifying my new 2016 V7II. I am trying to understand s/n's. Mine is
ZGULWUB07GM200339. This is very close to EMAB's 257.

EMAB, since I only have 200 miles on my bike, can you tell me if there were there any clues before the bike stalled?

I noticed that I had a hard time time finding neutral in the very beginning, and one time it popped out of gear while riding, but I assumed it was just breaking in.

Also, do you go by the last few numbers, or does the "07" before the GM mean anything? That seems to be changing from 05 to 06.

Thanks!

Last edited:
the "0" and the "7" in "07" have different meanings. The "0" is part of the 3-character code "UB0" which means model variant "Stone ABS". The "7" is a checksum digit that is determined by a complex formula and has to match the rest of the whole VIN.

I would worry about your bike popping out of gear, but that's probably not directly related to the missing engine bushing problem. A hard time finding neutral could indicate a rapidly changing clutch adjustment, which in turn could be an indicator of the missing bushing. Because the 6-sp gearbox has a much shorter throw between 1st and 2nd than the 5-sp box, it can be hard to find neutral until you get used to it. If the problem goes away after you've properly adjusted the clutch, and then returns a hundred miles later, I'd be very concerned.

Good luck.

So I'm considering a 2016 leftover Stornello and found this thread. I couldn't see if there were any specific ranges of VINs associated with this potential problem, is that correct? I can check the VIN of the new bike I'm considering is that's the case.

Thanks for the info SIB. For reference to possible ranges with this problem, should I be looking that the VIN or the number that's stamped on the motor?

So an update on my bike. Over the three week mark of them identifying the problem and parts being on order. Went in today and had a discussion with the dealership. Explained to the them with Nevada statutes in hand that once they had possession of the bike for 30 days I have a number of options that will cost them a not insignificant amount of money. I also explained that I would be in a better mood if the service department had not at first accused me of "over-tightening the clutch cable" and bothered to call me with any kind of status updates during this whole ordeal. Apparently they are now motivated to call MG on Monday and get a firm date on when they can expect the new motor in so I know when I get my bike back. Also it seemed to them to be a good idea to give me a loaner bike after 22 days, and they also agreed that I probably should not have to pay for the 1K service on the new engine since I just paid for one. Hopefully I will get my beloved "Goose" back soon and the dealership understands that treating customers as partners instead of adversaries usually works better. Irregardless I'm not looking forward to getting my work done in Malibu :), canyons here I come.

So, I finally made a stop at the dealership earlier today and dropped off my bike to have them look at the issue with my bike being difficult to find neutral at stoplights after the bike had been running for a while. They did a quick check and looks to be a cable adjustment. I'm also having an issue with excess oil leaking from the breather cap or around it. I had not noticed anything until just a few days ago when I saw a little bit of oil around the breather cap. I wiped it off then rode out from Vegas to Shoshone, CA the next day. When we stopped at Shoshone, one of my riding buddies pointed out how much oil had leaked on the right side. He believed that the bike was over-filled with oil. I got the bike serviced at 600 miles at the beginning of February and have put on over 1900 miles since then, but never noticed any type of leak until now. So, the dealer is looking into that as well.

I just happened to see Mark's bike in the garage and it was being prepped to have the new engine put in that just arrived today. I asked the guys if that was Mark's bike and they said yes. I told them I was aware of what happened. They then took me over to show me the new engine that was still sitting in the crate. Hopefully they can get that put in and get Mark's bike back to him soon. However, I am hoping there are no similar issues they find when they look into my clutch a little further as well as that oil leak. They sounded like it wasn't too big a deal after doing their initial visual inspection. I guess I'll find out in the next day or two. The dealership is claiming they only know of two V7 II's that have had to get the engine replaced due to similar issues, Mark's bike and one other one in Reno.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the info SIB. For reference to possible ranges with this problem, should I be looking that the VIN or the number that's stamped on the motor?
Well, we don't really know, since Moto Guzzi has been conspicuously silent about this issue. FWIW, my VIN is ZGULWUB04GM200024 and my engine number is 011725. So far, no issues at ~14,000 mi.

Ugh, this is so unsettling because I spent the winter completely modifying my new 2016 V7II. I am trying to understand s/n's. Mine is
ZGULWUB07GM200339. This is very close to EMAB's 257.

EMAB, since I only have 200 miles on my bike, can you tell me if there were there any clues before the bike stalled?

I noticed that I had a hard time time finding neutral in the very beginning, and one time it popped out of gear while riding, but I assumed it was just breaking in.

Also, do you go by the last few numbers, or does the "07" before the GM mean anything? That seems to be changing from 05 to 06.

Thanks!

My bike actually ran great until the day it stalled when pulling in the clutch. When up shifting it was as if I was dumping the clutch although I was not. The new motor is installed and there is a big difference when shifting- a lot smoother. Maybe I had gotten used to the way it felt before. The bike had about 4600 miles when this happened.

Great...I was hoping it would show up early with fewer miles...I have about 5000 mi and no apparent trouble...yet. I do plan to run it hard this season while it is still under warranty.

I contacted my dealer about this issue; even though I haven't seen any problems yet at 1000 miles, my VIN is just below the range seen at the start of this thread. He responded that the factory recently issued a new service procedure and tool for checking crankshaft endplay, and his factory service rep told him that the only way to know for sure is to perform the endplay check. A new procedure for adjusting clutch cable tension was also issued, to be communicated to owners, which emphasized adjusting the cable only from the handlebar end. He provided copies of both procedures for me to see, but the endplay check requires a special service tool, so it's not one I could do on my own. He offered to perform the check for free, so the next time I am in his area I plan to stop in.

sure would like to see that in print. it has to involve removing the alternator then checking the end play in the crank.
I think it could also be done by removing the starter and checking the play at the flywheel. That would be easier.

Yes, the procedure involves removing the starter motor and checking endplay on the flywheel. The special tool clamps to the flywheel and fits over the starter motor opening, holding a dial indicator. The clutch lever is pulled in all the way, and if the flywheel moves more than a certain amount, that's bad. There's a little more to it, but that's the general gist. In any case, it's good that there's a way to check besides riding for a few thousand miles and waiting to see if your clutch and shifter suddenly stop working.

Back