• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

v7 III rev limiter?

Honestly, I would put this on the dealer. If they can't fix it, they can replace it.
What do they, and Piaggio, plan to do next? I would swap out the ECU with a known good one. If it still does it, that removes the rev limiter as the culprit. There may be a mechanical issue, like what the OP ran into.

Happy ending! Finally got it back to the dealer. After an ECU re-flash I have 7,200rpm available to me.

it gets reset by the dealer at the first 900 mile service. it is in the book somewhere because i found it to reset my own.
might have been in the service manual found here. I did download the pages that I thought I might use someday.

Hi, can you upload the pages please?
Thanks

IMO, if you are riding along the freeway in 4th gear and the engine doesn't feel like it's strained or overrevving, then whatever rpm is being used is just fine. These V7III motors love to rev and make their best power (using my butt dyno :) ) between 3800 and 5500 rpm, or so. I often find myself moving at a good clip on the local highways in fourth or fifth gear, because that's where the engine is responsive and likes to be. Always shifting up to sixth gear isn't a necessity unless I'm traveling at a higher speed.
What speed are you travelling at where fourth or fifth gear is ok for highway?

No tacho on the Stone, but 4th gear takes me up to 55 mph, 5th gear 65 mph and probably redlining (flashing red light set at 4500 rpm) in the next 5 mph or so.

What speed are you travelling at where fourth or fifth gear is ok for highway?

Cruising on the local expressways (posted speed @ 50 mph), I'm usually in 4th unless traffic creeps up to 60mph when I shift to 5th. That means I'm cruising at about 4000-4500 rpm in these gears.

On faster roads (like the Interstate), I usually don't shift to 6th unless I'm cruising 60-65 rpm, and if I want good responsiveness at that speed for acceleration, I stay in 5th. 6th gear at 4500 rpm is over 70 mph (I think 75-80 mph).

Racer loves to spin up in the 5000-6000 range, and will regularly flicker the upshift light when I'm accelerating hard in the lower four gears (I have it set to 6500 rpm). It has bashed into the 7200 rpm limiter more than a few times when I'm riding in a spirited fashion. I'm very happy to have the limiter: I'd rather not bend a pushrod or valve... :D

Cruising on the local expressways (posted speed @ 50 mph), I'm usually in 4th unless traffic creeps up to 60mph when I shift to 5th. That means I'm cruising at about 4000-4500 rpm in these gears.

On faster roads (like the Interstate), I usually don't shift to 6th unless I'm cruising 60-65 rpm, and if I want good responsiveness at that speed for acceleration, I stay in 5th. 6th gear at 4500 rpm is over 70 mph (I think 75-80 mph).

Racer loves to spin up in the 5000-6000 range, and will regularly flicker the upshift light when I'm accelerating hard in the lower four gears (I have it set to 6500 rpm). It has bashed into the 7200 rpm limiter more than a few times when I'm riding in a spirited fashion. I'm very happy to have the limiter: I'd rather not bend a pushrod or valve... :D

Out of curiosity, do you set the limiter to: Lower = 6,500 rpm, upper = 7,200 rpm?

I'm going to do my first service next week and am thinking of adjusting the rev limiter. I think it blinks red when it hit the lower limit, and lights up constantly at upper limit.

Also, do you have other mods done on the racer? Like ECU remap or aftermarket exhaust? Thanks!

You mean the over-rev warning light. The actual rev limiter can ONLY be changed by editing the ECU map ... It's always at 7200 rpm unless you've had a map installed with it set to a different value.

I don't remember the upper and lower settings for the over-rev warning, frankly, and I'm not at home at present to look. I have it set so that it will illuminate at 6500 rpm ... whether it blinks or not I can't recall. Just illuminating is enough that I just shift and don't think about it... :)

My Racer has Agostini mufflers (db-killers in) and a custom ECU map installed by the GT-Rx ECU Flash Tool. I've also blocked the EVAP canister vacuum line, cut the tank breather connection so that the tank breathes to atmosphere, and removed the secondary air injection system, closing the ports in the heads with the GT blanking kit.

I presume you mean the break-in service by "first service". Yes, that's the right time to revise the warning light upwards. By 900 miles or so, the engine should be nicely ready to rev into its full power band.

G

So past the break-in period of 900 miles, I adjusted the gear shift indicator to flash at 6,200 rpm (initially 4,500 rpm).

Does anyone know if this is too high? The bike is still on stock ECU and exhaust.

The brochure says 52 HP at 6,200 rpm and 60NM of torque at 4,900 rpm.

@Godfrey - I don’t think we can adjust the Gear Shift H, which is set at 8,000 rpm from factory... only the Gear Shift L

Attachments

• AE5B4165-FAFB-4D13-8E82-2C5E3D985C09.jpeg
    AE5B4165-FAFB-4D13-8E82-2C5E3D985C09.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Regardless of where you set the indicator to flash, don't rev the engine past where it is happy to pull. That's all. 6500 rpm seems perfectly safe as a top revs warning indicator, the ECU won't let you go past 7200 intentionally.

I have no idea why they'd set something at 8000 rpm. Makes no sense to me since the ECU won't let you get there anyway.

I did my break-in service a bit early, around 740 miles or so. Around about 900-1000 miles, over the course of about 30 miles, I felt the engine break in nicely and want to rev more freely. Since then, Racer wants to pull right to the rev limiter if I let it.

Thank you!

Having set the gear shift indicator to 6,500 rpm and with access to 4,000-5,000 range (I believe since theres no tach) make a whole of difference.

Just a little observation from riding in the city:

1st gear - 0 to 40 mph (0-30 mph is normal, really pulls from 30-35 mph, then dies down 35-40 mph where indicator light would come on; prior, rev light would come on at 25 mph)

2nd gear - 35 to 50 mph (30-40 mph is normal, pulls from 40-45 mph, and dies down 45-50 mph where indicator light would come on; previously, 35 mph)

Haven’t figured out the rest yet. But it seems that whatever speed limit I was used to for that gear, it is happy to pull 5-10 mph above that before having to shift up.

1st - 25 mph to 30-35 mph (gear light indicator set at 6,500 rpm lits up at 40 mph)
2nd - 35 mph to 40-45 mph (@50 mph)
3rd - 45 mph to 50-55 mph (60 mph?)
4th - 55 mph to 60-65 mph (70 mph?)
5th - 65 mph to 70-75 mph (80 mph?)
6th - do we need one?

Last edited:
Just a little hijack here:
On another forum a guy was complaining about the rev limiter being set at 4500 rpm IN NEUTRAL!!!!
Seems like he got embarrassed when he was at a bike show showing off his loud exhaust & hit the limiter.

Just a little hijack here:
On another forum a guy was complaining about the rev limiter being set at 4500 rpm IN NEUTRAL!!!!
Seems like he got embarrassed when he was at a bike show showing off his loud exhaust & hit the limiter.

I wonder if he could have shifted it to the first, then just hold the clutch and rev it up. Good to know though!

I wonder if he could have shifted it to the first, then just hold the clutch and rev it up. Good to know though!

I should clarify that this was on a Victory not a Guzzi.
Bar hopper / bike show rider.
4 year old bike with 5,000 miles.

Trout:
Perhaps it shows a certain prejudice on my part, but when I read your post I couldn't help that this refrain popped into my head...

Idiot wind
Blowing like a circle around my skull,
From the Grand Coulee Dam to the Capitol
Idiot wind
Blowing every time you move your teeth
You're an idiot, babe
It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe

from Idiot Wind by Bob Dylan

Thanks ye, there, Bob!

G

Sorry for a dumb question. But how the hell do you set the rpm limiter to 7200 rpm? My ECU is remapped from GT and evap canister is removed. I need a step by step procedure. I heard that its programmable in the ecu.

Back