• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Stone smooth out the ride tips wanted

No, you misunderstood.

The reading is what is shown. If it is thought the units are MPG Imperial, then the equivalent in MPG USA is higher. What you say is true, you get more miles with an imperial gallon than you would with a USA gallon. But calculating the MPG from what is shown on the dashboard, the lower consumption would be if USA MPG units are assumed.

Repeating what I said above, the miles stay the same, but you've managed it with less fuel. Dududucking thought his MPG had deteriorated because he assumed that the MPG was in Imperial Units, but if this was the case, it would be more generous in USA units, i.e. roughly 63 MPG USA.

I still reckon that is bike is showing USA units, so the calculations are unnecessary.

No, you misunderstood.

The reading is what is shown. If it is thought the units are MPG Imperial, then the equivalent in MPG USA is higher. What you say is true, you get more miles with an imperial gallon than you would with a USA gallon. But calculating the MPG from what is shown on the dashboard, the lower consumption would be if USA MPG units are assumed.

Repeating what I said above, the miles stay the same, but you've managed it with less fuel. Dududucking thought his MPG had deteriorated because he assumed that the MPG was in Imperial Units, but if this was the case, it would be more generous in USA units, i.e. roughly 63 MPG USA.

I still reckon that is bike is showing USA units, so the calculations are unnecessary.

Hi Dave,

My initial reading was 50 MPG, which I later found out was in Imperial MPG. Thats the way it came from the factory. Upon switching to US MPG in MODE, the new reading is shown to be 35-40 MPG, which is about right when I compare distance travelled/gallon of gas pumped at the pump.

1 imperial gallon is more than us gallon and assuming the same miles covered, you will get higher number in imp mpg than in us mpg.

1 imp mpg = 0.83 us mpg

Hi dududuckling

I agree with everything you've stated above.

But I still maintain what I was saying too. If you thought the display was in US MPG, and then found out it was in Imperial MPG, then the MPG in USA units would be higher.

Incidentally, I can't change my units on my V7-III Stone. Are you also able to show Liters/100kM, or is your dashboard strictly MPG capable?

Incidentally, I can't change my units on my V7-III Stone. Are you also able to show Liters/100kM, or is your dashboard strictly MPG capable?

Yes I have the option to switch between Imp mpg to US mpg to km/L to L/100km

Its in the submenu:

Turn key to ON > make sure you are in ODO > long hold MODE > will get you to the submenu > short press MODE until you get to select unit (mpg, after mi/km and before C/F) > long hold MODE to switch unit from imp mpg to us mpg to km/l to l/100km > short press MODE to go back to ODO

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tutorial.

In hindsight, I do remember being in this menu before. When I used your guidance to go back there, I remember that km/liter is also offered which I'd never seen on any bike previous. What a shame that Guzzi didn't offer these features to the Cali 1400 dashboard.

Following this topic as well - I am thinking of riding up to the bay area, which is about 4.5 hours by car... so probably close to 6 hours if I take it slow on the bike.

Without the windshield, how do you guys ride long distance? Do you bend with head tucked in, or sit upright and take it like a man? Both the wind and bugs and what not. I do the latter, but gets my head tossed around all the time, but getting used to it now. Aside from gears, I find adding scarves help protect my neck from being “slapped” by the wind, and then I continue on to cruise around 55-60 mph.

Hoping to stop every 150 miles to fuel up, maybe sooner. Any advice is most welcome.

Yes, I am taking the US101 from Santa Barbara up to San Jose, possibly start early on a Saturday morning before traffic builds up, if it does.

Did you see our Laguna Seca thread? (https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/wsbk-laguna-seca-2018-roll-call.18564/)
You might as well ride up with us if you plan on heading up to the Bay Area this weekend.
We're heading right through Santa Barbara on the way up. You could join along the way.

No, you misunderstood.

This makes no sense. Switching from Imperial Gallons to US Gallons does not change the miles ridden, or the absolute quantity of fuel the engine is using any different. It simply makes the physical size of the number represented by the divisor smaller so the economy numbers are lower.

Regardless, you mean you're reading MPG off the dashboard's readout and expecting it to be accurate? For me, that's a complete waste of time ... those things are only very rarely accurate and are usually not.

The MPG numbers I quote are from measuring how much fuel was restored to the tank when it needs filling. I subtract the odometer reading when I last filled the tank from the odometer reading when I fill it again, then divide that by the number of gallons that were required to fill the tank again. I save these values and calculations, plot it on a graph including the average from all cumulative fillings of the tank as well as the + and - 1 standard deviation lines, like this:

42192080774_1dab2b282b_o.png

Red are the actual MPG numbers, blue is the cumulative average MPG line, and the other two lines are the cumulative average +1 STDV and -1 STDV. This is a heck of a lot more accurate and informative.

Personally, I wish they wouldn't waste the ECU programming on things like miles per gallon. I click right through those things on my display mode ... All I'm interested in are odometer, trip odometer, ambient temperature, the clock, and the 'low fuel' trip odometer.

Back