• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7Classic Maintenance

cvcaelen

Tuned and Synch'ed
While at it:
draining the fluid
front
Drainage voorrem

back:
the reservoir is hidden behind a panel

Achterrem reservoir

same technique as the front

Drainage achterrem

fresh fluid in the reservoir

Verse remolie achter

In the rear-system there was real brown brake-fluid,
so it was realy needed

Time to do the valves while the engine is cold!

Koude motor

remove plastic shields Allen-key 4mm

Plastic deksel

remove valve-cover (6 Allen 5mm)

Klepdeksel
There's a hose attached
but it's long enough to let it connected
just put aside

Klepdeksel aan darm
Spark-plugs out
alternator-cover removed
and with 24mm spanner I could turn the crank

Alternator

check clearances:
0.15mm inlet
0.20mm outlet
they were still good at both sides
didn't have to correct :)
Putting things back, I put oil on the seals

Ingeolied klepdekseldichting

Done :)
on to the 30000Km maintenance

Materials I used

Gebruikt materiaal

It took me 5 hours to complete the job (And I really enjoyed it a lot getting my fingers dirty)
And it costed me 150 Euro's

Also changed the bevel-box oil but I didn't take pictures of that. The oil temp gauge I've bought about 2 years ago on E-bay, but it isn't available any more :(
It has the correct dipstick-length - ah, MG Cycle part number 70030RR66 - $86

Christiaan

Last edited by a moderator:
22500Km and the little computer in the V7c told me it was time for a maintenance

Maint

At first it was the dealer who did it,
but now I figured it was time that I got my fingers dirty
so, I bought me some stuff:

engine-oil
gearbox-oil
brake-fluid
oil-filter
valve cover seals
air filter
brake pads front & rear

Gekocht materiaal

some disclaimer could be in order:
this is not intended to be a manual
just a description of how I did my maintenance

OK, let's get busy:

Well, I had to clean the bike first
As you'll know, it's my commuter-bike, so it gets dirty, a lot,...

Vuile motor1
Vuile motor2

and some time later: this is the bike I want to work on:

Gepoetst

Here's where the center stand comes in handy :)
let's start by draining the engine-oil:
two bolts (17mm & 19mm),but why couldn't Luigi use two of the same size?

Voorste aftapplug
Achterste aftapplug

Then the oil-filter (loosen the 13mm bolt)

Thanks to the Stucci-crossover I mounted some time ago
draining the Gearbox-oil is easy now

While the oils are dripping,
I've got time to change the air-filter.
First I've got to remove the fuel-tank by loosening the 10mm bolt

Bout benzinetank

Lifted tank a bit and put a bit of wood underneath so I coud reach the fuel-line connection

Snelkoppeling

remove fuel-line
remove drain-hose
disconnect contacts

Well,
it was supposed to be that way,
but I couldn't disconnect the fuel-line
no matter what I tried,
nothing moved.
It's supposed to be simple enough:
push fuel-line forward,
pull grey ring back
remove fuel-line.
I then called my dealer and he told me it was correct what I was trying to do,
but he also warned me not to break the red connector: that would cost me 700 Euro's to replace
(It comes as a set with the whole fuel-pump assembly)
So I had to figure a way to remove the air-filter without removing the tank

By that time it was noon
and having a good dinner can help setting the mind straight

After dinner I started filling the various oils back
Engine-oil:
first put the two bolts back
then fill with 1780ml

Maatbeker

Gearbox-oil:
put drain-plug back in
put bike on side-stand, 'cause the level-plug has to act as fill-plug.
fill with 1 liter of gearbox-oil

Versnellingsbak plug

Vulplug versnellingsbak

With that out of the way I could concentrate back on the fuel-line
but after some trying and thinking about the 700 Euro's
it was time for plan "B"
I could remove the 4 screws from the air box lid
It was a tight fit but I managed to wiggle the lid out of the way
(now you see why I moved the two horns to the front of the bike right after I bought it?)

Look What Luigi did:

Schuin luchtfilter

His filter wasn't placed right ):

Old and new filter:

Oud nieuw luchtfilter
New filter in,
but correct this time :)

Luchtfilter recht

Wiggle some to get the air box back together again
fuel tank back in place
done!

Now on to the brakes
Front brake first
A 7mm Allen-key removes the assembly

Haarspeldveren

pull out two pins
remove old pads

Oude nieuwe remvoering voor

Two spacers must not be forgotten

Afstandsrondellen voorrem
rear-brakes
removed by removing two 13mm bolts
and a stubborn pin holds the pads

Sluitpin

Old and new:

Oude nieuwe remschoenen achter

(Cont. Below)

sign216 said:
Nice work. Re the air filter. What did the factory do wrong in the installation? It's hard to see from the photos.
The filter wasn't placed correct in it's holder, unfiltered air could pass the filter.

:eek:

Very useful series of photos and so much clearer than the manual. Thanks for taking the trouble to do that. I know this has been asked before but I can't find it; how do you get the service light to go out? Cheers, Paxo

Paxo said:
Very useful series of photos and so much clearer than the manual. Thanks for taking the trouble to do that. I know this has been asked before but I can't find it; how do you get the service light to go out? Cheers, Paxo

with the ignition OFF;
push left button (trip/odo) and keep pushed;
switch ON ignition;
wait 'till the dials do there dance and the lights go out again
release button
switch ignition back OFF

next time you start the engine, the "maint"-thing will be gone :)

Christiaan

I thought about removing my tank the other day to route some wiring, but I realized with it being 20f, the plastic disconnect might break pretty easily.
I think I'm going to run an in-line fuel filter that will be easily accessible that I can use for my tank disconnect.
Anyone know the i.d. of the fuel line?

I don't think your filter was causing any real problems - the lighter coloured boarder area shows the air flow is going mostly in the middle area of the filter. If a side was unsealed, or even bouncing up and down (during a rough ride), I think there would be a big offset in the colour pattern.

Only if you never changed the filter, would that worry me! Relax!

(I'll check mine later this spring to see if how much wiggle the filter has in that (and other) misalignment. I'll report back if there is any gaps that could occur - best to know about the potential.)

The person who put that filter in wrong should not work on your bike every again.... Yikes! Imagine the damage they could have done to your engine, brakes and safety!? I do my own maintenance because of that reason... I got almost killed by a botched recall!

I've had my tank off to fix a corroded connector and that fuel line disconnect is....yes! so stupid! I kept at it for a long time and took a couple of time outs, until I did something right and it slid apart so easily and smoothly that I couldn’t believe I did it - stood there for minutes dumbfounded! Two very light pressures that have to be balanced and are yet totally COUNTER-INTUITIVE have to be mastered (or fumbled upon!). I hope my fingers remember.

maybe a fuel line QD would be a good buy...

!CBzg6-!EWk~$(KGrHqQOKm8Ez39zRQDRBNJEvESK3g~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QD-Quick-Disc...tEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item53e5917588

cvcaelen said:
The oil temp gauge I've bought about 2 years ago on E-bay,
but it isn't available any more :(
it has the correct dipstick-length

Christiaan

Actually, they are

http://www.louis.de/_301ed3dccb55b9c5cd ... =0&typ_id=

You'll need an M25 to M20 adapter though. Found at electrical wholesalers at a low cost.

- and what's more, the cheaper is the most accurate, according to tests. I've got one, and it IS very accurate, measured at 20* and 100* C.

Holt said:
cvcaelen said:
The oil temp gauge I've bought about 2 years ago on E-bay,
but it isn't available any more :(
it has the correct dipstick-length

Christiaan

Actually, they are

http://www.louis.de/_301ed3dccb55b9c5cd ... =0&typ_id=

You'll need an M25 to M20 adapter though. Found at electrical wholesalers at a low cost.

- and what's more, the cheaper is the most accurate, according to tests. I've got one, and it IS very accurate, measured at 20* and 100* C.

Thanks. Louis list dozens of different types, for lots of models, but no small block Guzzis. Do you remember which model yours is designated for?

There's also loads on ebay, but again none for small blocks...

I assume these things won't work unless the dipstick is in the oil. I wonder of one that's too long can be cut? One of the web sites calls it a "sensor" but I suspect this may overstate the complexity of the item!

icenian said:
... I wonder of one that's too long can be cut? ...

Yes, you can... once and then throw it away!
:cool:

It 's probably a 'bi-metal' thermometer, so you have to order the correct lenght
:D

icenian said:
Thanks. Louis list dozens of different types, for lots of models, but no small block Guzzis. Do you remember which model yours is designated for?

There's also loads on ebay, but again none for small blocks...

I assume these things won't work unless the dipstick is in the oil. I wonder of one that's too long can be cut? One of the web sites calls it a "sensor" but I suspect this may overstate the complexity of the item!

Yes, I do remember. Item # 10034310
The one thats quoted for the big blocks. That's why you need the adapter.
By simple Guzzilogic the big blocks, which contains double the oil volume compared to smallblocks, also have a smaller hole to pour it through. :mrgreen:
The length will be right. Just add marks by filing; copy from the original dipstick.

Back