• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7III Stone - Adding Tacho

Richard Ducati

Tuned and Synch'ed
I am trying to decide between a '14 Special or a '17 Stone....does the late model stone have all the wiring in place to readily add a tach?

Thanks,

--Rich

I am trying to decide between a '14 Special or a '17 Stone....does the late model stone have all the wiring in place to readily add a tach?
No. Different harness. Thanks Piaggio.
The older models had everything in place, regardless of model.

Thanks. Hard to believe that manufacturing efficiency would allow for a variant-specific harness....good to know. There's only a $1,200 price difference for the newer machine; but it is less visually appealing IMHO and doesn't have an easy solution for the tach. On the plus side, it has the later stuff (6 speed, abs, TC, more power) and also the cast wheels which I prefer. Decisions, decisions....

You can just shift point by feel. You don't really need to worry about a red line RPM since the ECU won't allow the engine to exceed it. Older bikes such as the 1100 Jackal didn't have a tachometer and there were no problems without it.

You can just shift point by feel. You don't really need to worry about a red line RPM since the ECU won't allow the engine to exceed it. Older bikes such as the 1100 Jackal didn't have a tachometer and there were no problems without it.

Agree, I have a 16 special and don’t really find myself looking at the tach too often. Visually I do prefer to have both however. It seems more complete

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm aware that you can simply rely on the limiter to keep you from over-revving, but I am with Chokoloso in that I like the completeness of the instrumentation and actually use the tach initially until I get a better feel for the machine. I have an '04 Triumph Thruxton that I've tuned extensively and find the tach a necessity when doing that work....though marking the throttle opening (1/8, 1/4, etc.) & watching the wideband gauge readings at each opening works. Probably a bit less important given these bikes are FI and I'd be relying on a canned map anyway.

As far as adding a tach goes where there isn't a stock, plug-n-play option on the harness, I like these units:

http://kullendesign.com/smithgaugewebsite/tachometers/race-tachometers/

Though for pushrod motors, 12K rpms is a bit of an overkill! The nice part is that you can just wrap the pickup wire around a spark plug lead and its good to go. Great for temporary installs for tuning, etc.

Cheers,

--Rich

Gotta agree with the visual aspect of two gauges.
If the manufacture is going to only use one then mount it centered not off to one side.
May sound stupid but it's one of the reasons I did not buy a Bonneville some years back.
I liked the bike, the price was right but every time I looked down at the speedo hanging off to the left it made me cringe.
I wasn't willing to spend the extra for the model with the twin gauges or add the cost of an "upgrade".
So now I have a Griso.

I've only owned one bike without a tachometer and I hated not having it. Turns out that I glance at the tachometer much more when riding than I ever look at the speedometer... :)

And I like a nice, big, analog tachometer with a sweep hand too. In my car I have nice big analog speedo and tach, but also a digital speedometer read out with big numbers on the central multi-function display when I choose that option. I'd never want a tach displayed that way, but that's my favorite display for the speedometer.

Not having a tachometer would push me to any other V7III model than the V7III Stone.

Not having a tachometer would push me to any other V7III model than the V7III Stone.

Word. I'm forgoing the extra power, 6 speed, and other modern conveniences of the V7III and am going to pick up the '14 V7 Special for this reason, along with the style points of the retro paint (black/orange Essetre graphic) and the $1,500 price difference. I'm a bit of a luddite, so passing on the ABS/TC doesn't bother me in the least. I'd prefer the cast wheels, though, but that is something I can change down the road if it bugs me that much. Hopefully the bike will be mine by the end of the weekend.

Cheers,

--Rich

Well, I just spoke with the seller and paypal-ed a deposit....so it looks like it will be coming home with me. It's located in Tennessee and I'm in Michigan, so I guess I get to have a nice drive down. Less than 2K miles on her and she's pretty much bone stock. I'll get her on the registry thread once I have the bike in my possession.

I guess I'll need to figure out a list of 'must do' changes to ensure good manners. From riding a few of these, I know the suspension is a bit underwhelming. Is there anything to do on the fueling right out of the gate? Triumph's Bonneville variants are notoriously lean from the factory to meet Euro emissions standards and I'd like to ensure this machine isn't running overly hot like those do. Lean conditions + air cooled motors = big problems down the road. Any input is appreciated.

From riding a few of these, I know the suspension is a bit underwhelming. Is there anything to do on the fueling right out of the gate? Triumph's Bonneville variants are notoriously lean from the factory to meet Euro emissions standards and I'd like to ensure this machine isn't running overly hot like those do. Lean conditions + air cooled motors = big problems down the road. Any input is appreciated.

Some claim that the stock suspension is sufficient, but the manner of the bike can be totally improved with suspension upgrades.
The thread has become a bit long, but there is some good information about available options here:
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7c-s-suspension-thread.12618/page-14

Fueling is more of a problem. The factory maps are for the most part lean.
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gt-v7-map-comparo.16786/
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/guzzitech-power-commander-v-information.2686/

I would start with fueling.

Or maybe with upgrading the voltage regulator:
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/13-15-v7-over-charging-please-read.15720/

Last edited:
I've never ridden a V7II, but I understand their fueling map is much poorer than the stock one that came with the V7III. And updating the map using the GT-Rx ECU Tool produced remarkable improvements in the V7III, with no other changes. So that would be the first thing I did with a V7 motorcycle.

After that, suspension is always the next best thing to consider. My bike (V7III Racer) came with the Öhlins rear suspension units so there's not much I can do to improve on that, other than adjust them properly (which I did) and maybe move up one notch on the spring rate (I'm a large guy). The other models, nearly all of them, could use improved rear suspension units.

All of the modern V7s have the same fork and, while it's "okay", it's nothing to shout about. Unfortunately, a good upgrade is pretty pricey... I'm salivating over the full 43mm Öhlins front end GT sells, but my bank account isn't up to that at the moment.

When I fall in love with a particular bike, I can always think of small details to improve it and make it more "mine". But the fueling re-map and the suspension upgrades probably net the most cost-effective and significant improvements to the V7.

Of course, I had to fit a set of pipes that give it the exhaust note that a Moto Guzzi should have. :D

I've never ridden a V7II, but I understand their fueling map is much poorer than the stock one that came with the V7III. And updating the map using the GT-Rx ECU Tool produced remarkab
It'd sure be difficult to imagine worse than a V7iii.

Back