• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT Oil pan seeping leak

Anyone seen any minor oil leaks on new V85TT bikes?

• Yes

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
I recently discovered oil seeping from the generator cover and oil pan on my 21 with 8K miles. Torqued up all of the bolts, a number were not close to spec, and cleaned everything. Seems to have stopped. Looks like I lost about 100 ml since the last change about 2K miles ago. I bought a tube of that blue stuff for the future.

🔨🔨

I've recently run into a leak of my own, I've looked into the Hylomar and I'm sold on its ability to seal a gasket. Until I get to my next oil change to inspect and seal, I'm curious if anyone has been experiencing such a leak.

To start, I noticed oil on the back of the oil pan bolt thread holes on the right side of the engine and only the right side.
From inspecting, it appeared to be coming from the level/drain bolt on the front right of the engine block, not the one in the front of the oil pan. Inspecting the area more, it looked like the oil was then coming from the gap between the cooling fins below the timing cover and at the front of the oil pan where they meet the block. Thinking it was the oil pan I tightened the oil pan bolts and the exposed bolts on the timing cover to the 9 lb-ft at the higher end of the factory torque spec.

20231022 133447
20231022 133505

I then de-greased the side, front, bottom of the engine, and the bottom engine guard. I washed the whole bike while I was at it. Seeing it clean, I rode it around the block and let it sit for a few minutes and no oil, nothing on the engine guard either. The next day I go for a ride, gentle for the warm up, then at the end of the 10 mile warm up I check and BAM: OIL!

20231024 173303
20231024 173311

BUT FROM WHERE???!

The oil appears to be coming from the bolt ends! When it's cooled the oil goes away as if there were nothing there, not even a drop on the engine guard!

Perhaps oil pressure is pushing it through the oil pan gasket and a flaw is letting it ride up the bolt ends??

I did not see any oil glistening from the bolt in the front of the block after it was cleaned.
The first day I saw the leak I doubled checked the bolt to the 22 lb-ft spec and it was fine.

Has anyone else experienced this and found the source? If I'm missing the obvious and it is the engine block bolt or oil pan/timing gasket as originally suspected, please tell me.

Both of those large plugs require NEW CRUSH WASHERS every time. The crush washer is designed to be “crushed” 1 time. It seals perfectly that 1 time. Then, you throw it away and replace with a new one.

You can measure its dimensions and buy generic crush washers cheap on Amazon.

Steve gave you the old mechanic guys trick.

Clean and meticulously dry the engine.

Get baby powder and puff it out of the bottle onto the area where the leak appears.

You don’t have to douse it, you just want a nice dusting.

Take her for your brief ride again. I emphasize brief here. Just long enough to generate the leaking but not long enough to make a lot of oil leak out!

The freshly leaked oil will pass right through the powder dust and leave a very visible trail. You will then know exactly where it is coming from.

This is why I emphasized “brief ride”.

When diagnosing oil leaks in this manner with baby powder, less oil is more better than more oil. Easier to see the point of origin! 😁

Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll get to it when I have the ability.

I recently did the not smart thing and rode it a few hundred miles with several hard pulls with frequent stops to check the leak, it ran wonderfully. I did notice on inspection after that the oil filter cover has a minor dab coming from it as well, so looks like I'll be doing an early oil change and I'll address the issues.

The leak seemed to be no better or worse and I have not lost much if any oil in my sight glass on level ground, it's still at the top line, so the leak is minor for now.

The left cylinder did end up making a clapping noise when pulling from a stop after sitting in traffic for a while. Like something was lose, but after a cool down it went away.....😅

Hello everyone,

Here is an update that I resolved a bit ago and kept forgetting to post:

The oil leak was coming from the oil pan seal. After my initial tightening of the oil pan bolts the leak stopped.

The reason the oil was coming up from the thread ends was because there was oil hanging out on the threads. As the bike heated up it pushed the oil out of the top threads creating a pool on the thread holes and the wind splashing it about. After cleaning off the oil from the 3 bolts the oil "leak" I was having has disappeared.

The big bolt was not the cause. Just excess oil. After cleaning the bolts and topping off the oil everything has stayed fine for nearly 2 months.

20231104 104920

Back