• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 reliabilty

Sussex Rock

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi

My first social post, and unfortunately it's not as cheerful as I'd hoped.

I bought a used Bobber, with 1100 miles on the clock. So far it's done 300 more and spent 7 weeks in for repairs. The repairs are as follows:

1. Gear change rod snapped.
2. Rear end oil leak (seal and o-ring.)
3. Lambda sensor suspected to be coked up (CPU flashed) - wrong diagnosis.
4. Throttle body fail (linked to #3 repair) and hopefully this will fix it.

I am disappointed, it's my first 'big' bike, and it's only 1 year old.

Hope yours is nowhere near as temperamental!

Please excuse spelling I have been having some brain malfunctions this past week, been a few years since I've had an episode.

Hang in there. Guzzi's can be tempramental & aggravating to new owners but once the bugs are worked out: FANTASTIC!

Reading your post there is only one issue that is definetly a Guzzi issue & that is the rear end leak.

The gear change rod (shift linkage) may have been from the previous owner kicking shifter instead of gently changing gears.
Sometimes in the first few hundred miles the heim joint will loosen up & owners tend to get agressive instead of fixing.

Going over the bike & tightening bolts should be part of the first maintenance & done on a regular basis.

the O2 sensor & throttle body issues come from "people causing problems" rather than a defect machine.

So if we look at it in that perspective things are not really as bad as it might seem.

Once the bike is put back in shape you may want to consider having the factory fueling corrected.
Do a little research on this forum then contact Todd@guzzitech.com.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! This was just the advice I needed. I was hoping that these were just teething problems, and after this little run of bad luck I would be left with a pretty much overhauled Guzzi. I absolutely love the bike, I know it's not everyone's taste, but then you haven't seen some of my ex-girlfriends! It's an amazing piece of machinery, and I'm keeping it until it runs right and then for a few years or more. My next bike will also be a Guzzi! :)

I bought a used Bobber, with 1100 miles on the clock. So far it's done 300 more and spent 7 weeks in for repairs. The repairs are as follows:
1. Gear change rod snapped.
2. Rear end oil leak (seal and o-ring.)
3. Lambda sensor suspected to be coked up (CPU flashed) - wrong diagnosis.
4. Throttle body fail (linked to #3 repair) and hopefully this will fix it.
First, welcome to the GT Famiglia. So it sounds more like an improperly set up/abused bike than anything.
1. The shift linkage rod? Someone must've been stomping hard on it. I've NEVER seen one break!
2. A little more common. Dealer/warranty fix. Could just be loose (from the factory) inside the (wheel flange side) final drive bolts.
3. So the lambda needs to be replaced?
4. Throttle body would ONLY fail because someone did something they shouldn't. No way it would fail because of a lambda. Now if it were flashed by someone other than a dealer, then anything is possible. I can be of help there with the correct tool for DIY, and a ton of time and knowledge in fueling them as I hope you'll read here in this section.

Chin up, it only gets better from here.

First, welcome to the GT Famiglia. So it sounds more like an improperly set up/abused bike than anything.
1. The shift linkage rod? Someone must've been stomping hard on it. I've NEVER seen one break!
2. A little more common. Dealer/warranty fix. Could just be loose (from the factory) inside the (wheel flange side) final drive bolts.
3. So the lambda needs to be replaced?
4. Throttle body would ONLY fail because someone did something they shouldn't. No way it would fail because of a lambda. Now if it were flashed by someone other than a dealer, then anything is possible. I can be of help there with the correct tool for DIY, and a ton of time and knowledge in fueling them as I hope you'll read here in this section.

Chin up, it only gets better from here.

Thanks for the advice and knowledge! I'm a new Guzzi rider (but an old driver!) but I can honestly say it's had gentle gear changes - I used to ride a 400cc Honda in Thailand on a $2 licence for a couple of years - and it is definitely ridden the 300 miles I have done on it in a considerate way. I did think it was strange that the gear linkage and throttle body would go. I am no mechanic by a long shot, but these things are designed to last 10's of thousands of miles I'm sure. Looking forward to the dealer calling with an update now!

Was it your dealer's demonstrator? If so, it could well have had multiple riders, some of them less than gentle.

Latest update: throttle body replaced but it still has the same problem. So it's back on the ramp!

OHhhh I'm really hating to say this but I believe the dealer is "chasing it's tail" & starting to "throw parts" at the problem.

OHhhh I'm really hating to say this but I believe the dealer is "chasing it's tail" & starting to "throw parts" at the problem.

I definitely think it's been a guessing game, not just with the mechanic but also Guzzi. They have been aware and authorising the work. I'm not sure where this is going?!

Update: Guzzi think it's the catalytic converters and are replacing the exhausts. I must say the garage have been excellent in all if this, and it seems they are basically sent the fix after they are supplied the error codes. The mechanic must be getting annoyed with them!

It is getting worse.
Bikes may be different but my experience with cars & cat converters is this:
When they go bad they are getting plugged up which restricts the exhaust flow & will create abnormal high heat.

Signs of a bad cat on a car: The car will start fine, idle fine, will start moving normally BUT will not have power & will struggle to get to a higher speed almost like one foot on the brake & one on the gas.
In extreme cases I have seen inside floor carpet start to melt above the area the cat conv sits.

I feel for you, so sorry this is your first Guzzi experience.

It is getting worse.
Bikes may be different but my experience with cars & cat converters is this:
When they go bad they are getting plugged up which restricts the exhaust flow & will create abnormal high heat.

Signs of a bad cat on a car: The car will start fine, idle fine, will start moving normally BUT will not have power & will struggle to get to a higher speed almost like one foot on the brake & one on the gas.
In extreme cases I have seen inside floor carpet start to melt above the area the cat conv sits.

I feel for you, so sorry this is your first Guzzi experience.

Yeah it's been a frustrating time, having just passed my test and my bike is in the garage for a total of 8 weeks so far. I can't say I'm endeared to the brand, and the idea if some long distance travel over the next year are on the scrap pile. I'll be buying a Honda for that, understandably.

Nah, not mad Guzzi's can be a love/hate relationship.
I sure hope it all gets taken care of & you can get in some good riding.

Back