• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

RideMalibu - Rent A Guzzi coming to an end

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
So it looks like I'm going to have to wind the rental business down. We had a strong run for the last ~5 years, but these private owner/user phone apps are killing the business. Zero support from Guzzi and local dealers is painful as well. Also in watching the social media sites over the last year or so where people ask where to rent Guzzis, and hardly anyone (many of whom visit here), almost seem afraid to post a link to the RideMalibu.com website - it's been quite baffling.
Based on what I've seen in person as to user-owned bike rental condition (cord exposed tires and worn out chains and sprockets to name two), and how owners and customers treat the rental app bikes and the super-low rental cost is a losing proposition all the way around for me. How people would let others ride their bikes, or people trusting random owners as the bikes service and safety is mind boggling. I suspect I can re-investigate this in another year or so, but for now... business is dead dead.

Also, I didn't see anywhere near the local support I had hoped in the last 5 years, so that is a bit of a bummer as well.

All good though... This will allow me to focus more energy on the GTM side of things.

Thanks to all who actually rented from us over the years. It was fun meeting everyone, and allowing people to sample my work in person.

Hello everyone,

I must say that GT had provided me an outstanding riding experience while my wife and I were in LA for a 10 day vacation. My experience was with the V7 racer that had amazing suspension, both front and rear. Race quality 1 finger braking. And a perfectly fueling mapped engine. I own a 2010 Cafe Classic with a power commander 5 which i purchased from GuzziTech. The V7 offered here for rent at guzzitech far exceeded my expectations and I highly recommend trying out one of these bikes. Many thanks Guzzitech!

Do it folks!

I rented Todd's V7R for two days and had an absolute blast. I can guarantee you that this it not your typical bike rental experience. All current machines with Todd's full range of tuning and suspension magic applied -- no beat up or poorly maintained bikes here. Plus, there aren't many riding areas that can rival Malibu/SoCal.

The only downside of my rental experience is now wanting GuzziTech to upgrade the suspension on my B11 (intake, fueling, and exhaust already done). Saving my pennies.... :)

Just got back from riding Todd's hopped up Griso. Great rental experience, and the bike was sheer perfection! I'm glad it's cold and snowy here, because I'm sure getting on my Griso in comparison so soon after Todd's would be a huge disappointment! Likewise saving my pennies for the dual sensor, dynamic map treatment... it must be ridden to be believed.

My plan is to fly out in June, I've reserved a week at the guest house and am renting the Stelvio and Griso for the week. I'm also bringing my V7 ECU to get remapped while out there but I need to know if you can remap it in the week i'm there or should I send it out earlier?

My plan is to fly out in June, I've reserved a week at the guest house and am renting the Stelvio and Griso for the week. I'm also bringing my V7 ECU to get remapped while out there but I need to know if you can remap it in the week i'm there or should I send it out earlier?
Look forward to your visit. Yes, I can take care of the flash while you are here, not a problem.

Wow, you are going to have an awesome time! Make sure you get the lowdown on the good roads from Todd. With a week and a Stelvio, I'd be tempted to do a two day loop up to the high Sierras, especially in June, for the cooler temps!

Well, it's been an ultra-fast few years since I launched RentAGuzzi/RideMalibu. Interestingly enough, and despite what the poll above says, V7's win the rental count by a large margin. I have now shifted primarily to a V7-V9/7 line. My 820-4V went out once in over a year... yes, just once(!) and is now for sale. I just landed the new Racer III, which I've now made 820cc.
Aside from the fact that I think I can count on one hand those who said they would come ride from the site here, business has been slow and steady thanks to Google (mostly) and Yelp (very little). My '14 1400 Custom went out less than 6 times in 1.5 years, and the Stelvio even less. The Griso went out more often because the bookings where both riders wanted V7s, one of them ended up on the Griso. That said, I am considering adding another 1400 like the Eldo, but if it doesn't go out once or twice a month, it won't stay long.
Any input from those who will actually book and ride?

Appreciate the support and business from those who have linked here from this page (banner ad above).

Prior to booking with RideMalibu I did a Google search for Moto Guzzi rentals and the personal service combined with the lodging option that you offered, for me as an overseas customer ticked all the boxes. The V7 that we rented for three days was a superbly set up machine and a excellent advertising platform for the modifications that that GuzziTech has to offer. As a couple renting I would have personally preferred a physically larger machine (maybe the V9/7 fits the bill) as my wife felt a little vulnerable on the V7, but then she is accustomed to the Cali. with a top box. Its a difficult one Todd, had a 1400 been available, would I have rented it? Yes, whereas if the majority of clients are one day rentals, is it because they want a rental bike just to tour the local area irrespective of the brand or are they existing Guzzi owners or prospective buyers. If that is the case maybe a 1400 wouldn't have much appeal, with that said I am sure there are some forum members that would be interested to see what you would do with an Eldo.
My final word would be if you own a V9 or V7, try one of Todd's offerings first hand, great roads through the hills and canyons surrounding Malibu. Speak to the man in person, you will not be disappointed.

A great notion! Since I live in California, the likelihood that I'll rent a motorcycle is low ... but, I have friends in England who have often said they'd like to visit for a motorcycle vacation. I'll send them the link. :)

A great notion! Since I live in California, the likelihood that I'll rent a motorcycle is low ... but, I have friends in England who have often said they'd like to visit for a motorcycle vacation. I'll send them the link. :)
I would be more than happy to provide a phone number or email if anyone wanted unbiased first hand info.
Also I would not let the fact that that you live in California put you off from renting one of Todd's bikes, if only to experience the GT improvements.

Last edited:
So it looks like I'm going to have to wind the rental business down. We had a strong run for the last ~5 years, but these private owner/user phone apps are killing the business. Zero support from Guzzi and local dealers is painful as well. Also in watching the social media sites over the last year or so where people ask where to rent Guzzis, and hardly anyone (many of whom visit here), almost seem afraid to post a link to the RideMalibu.com website - it's been quite baffling.

Based on what I've seen in person as to user-owned bike rental condition (cord exposed tires and worn out chains and sprockets to name two), and how owners and customers treat the rental app bikes and the super-low rental cost is a losing proposition all the way around for me. How people would let others ride their bikes, or people trusting random owners as the bikes service and safety is mind boggling. I suspect I can re-investigate this in another year or so, but for now... business is dead dead.

Also, I didn't see anywhere near the local support I had hoped in the last 5 years, so that is a bit of a bummer as well.

All good though... This will allow me to focus more energy on the GTM side of things.

Thanks to all who actually rented from us over the years. It was fun meeting everyone, and allowing people to sample my work in person.
Sorry to hear that Todd. If I ever needed to rent a bike, I would have been knocking on your door.

Todd, you provided my wife and I with truly unforgettable holiday experience that we will always remember, not only for the bike that you supplied but also for the hospitality from yourself and Gretchen.
Some thing aren’t fully appreciated until they are gone. Hopefully RideMalibu will live to ride another day.

I hate to read this. I really do.

However, I totally understand. People just don't give a shit about anything or anybody at all. I don't recognize society anymore.

I'm amazed that you can stomach GTM at all sometimes. Pleople have the idea that they should be able to buy and get everything they want, for next to no money at all, and that it should be handed to them on a silver plate. It's ridiculous.

I hear it frequently when people come to me to work on their motorcycles. First off, I don't advertise, it's only word of mouth and you have to be recommended by an existing client to even get to me most times. I'm very picky because I don't suffer fools, whiners, or complainers at all. However, if you give me the "I can get that for XYZ $ at blah blah blah", in about 2 seconds, your bike will be rolled out of my garage, onto the driveway, and I'll bid you farewell.

Price is not the most important criteria in any business transaction. Relationships and trust are. People have forgotten this.

In my lifetime, I have learned that "Discount" is not a word I want in front of Surgeon, Lawyer, Tax Attorney, Tax Accountant, Mechanic, Plumber, Mason, Contractor, etc...the list goes on and on.

Again Todd, so sorry to read this. Good luck with GTM! You make beautiful stuff and you know your stuff cold. People should be grateful to get access to you in the first place!

Last edited:
I am also sorry to hear.
I also have no idea how and why people either rent motorized vehicles from people they do not know or worse yet rent their own motorized vehicles to people they do not know.
The legalities baffle me, but it is even harder to comprehend from a gear head perspective. There are very few people people who I would let ride one of my motorcycles.
Renting from a business, from professionals, is one thing. I have done that once while in the UK.
I don't even ride in UBER's.

I don't go out to the west coast / LA area. But if I had I would happily have rented from you. I am sorry that opportunity has faded.

Bugger. Just back from my first visit to the USA during which I visited Todd's shop to pick up my fuelling kit. Wish I had now taken the chance to sample one of his ride malibu machines. An opportunity missed I fear. On the plus side if there is the chance of more GTM offerings then that can only be a good thing. Best wishes for all future endeavours.

Back