• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Which TomTom?

Flipdog

Just got it firing!
Hi there! I am a Brit newby to MG but bought a 2013 Cal 1400 Custom just before I had to come to Florida for a few weeks :)
Well, the wife wants to surprise me with a TomTom gps for the OEM holder I ordered so the question is, --which one fits the holder? The blurb said it is for the 'latest' TomTom and the connection is wound up under the tank. Guess I will find out how to remove the tank later.
Can anyone throw a little light on this? Thanks.

Hi there! I am a Brit newby to MG but bought a 2013 Cal 1400 Custom just before I had to come to Florida for a few weeks :)
Well, the wife wants to surprise me with a TomTom gps for the OEM holder I ordered so the question is, --which one fits the holder? The blurb said it is for the 'latest' TomTom and the connection is wound up under the tank. Guess I will find out how to remove the tank later.
Can anyone throw a little light on this? Thanks.

Hi Flipdog, I bought a Tom Tom rider a couple of years ago but the connection was different to the Guzzi one so I just cut the connectors off and joined the wires direct, maybe the later ones have the right connector. You don't have to take the tank off to get to the connector, just remove the plastic cover on the left hand side at the front of the tank and go fishing for the green connector amongst the wiring there. If you search this forum under 'GPS' I it's all explained there.

Many thanks for the tank tip, John! -and it does make sense just to cut and connect the wires.
I guess I will look at the OEM holder when I get back to Blighty and check out the TomTom site for a match.
Two brains are betterer than one.

I'm curious as to how folks who bought the factory GPS setup like it, and if it all works in a sensible fashion. I guess the real question is if the system has any added value/advantages over just using my normal 6" screen cellphone's Goggle Maps??? TIA...

Reactions: Uss
I fitted my Garmin Zumo 660 to the 'Tom Tom OEM bracket' - some washers as spacers; using two mounting holes instead of four...all invisible. 32,000km later, solid as.

Stephen

Image Image Here are a couple of photos of mine installed on the bike with the lockable mount. I don't know if the OEM mount will accept the latest generation Rider 450 model or even if the electrical hook up is the same. Mine is perfectly adequate for my needs and if you are not fussed about having the latest model these can be picked up relatively cheap.
Also there isn't a lot of free cable to play with, as you can see from the photo. I can't see it being too difficult to modify the mount and splice the cables, or fit a Garmin as others have done. Personal choice at the end of the day.

This is the one I have which I believe was the last incarnation of the Urban Rider. There are a couple of units on eBay UK at the moment with all the mounts etc. On occasion I Bluetooth mine to my Schuberth helmet alternatively you could connect to a Cardo scala rider (which was included with the Urban Rider Pro), or similar.
There is also a car mount available which enables you to hear voice directions as there is no in built speaker.
All down to how much you would use it and cost I suppose.

I'm curious as to how folks who bought the factory GPS setup like it, and if it all works in a sensible fashion. I guess the real question is if the system has any added value/advantages over just using my normal 6" screen cellphone's Goggle Maps??? TIA...
Thanks for bringing this up James....I have been wondering about this exact same thing too....with the mobile phones today and softwares like Google maps & Calimoto etc what real advantage do these navigators have over mobiles? They were great when they came out but since then I see the benefits eroding. One of the added advantages I see is that one doesn't have to look after/lug another piece of equipment around each time you park or leave your machine unattended.

It would be great if we could have some thoughts on the subject.....

Cheers

In my opinion cell phone apps today are as good as any GPS device. I used to use HERE Maps (free) on my Android cell which is my first choice when come to navigation apps. Route 66 is good too but you need to pay for full version.
The reason I bought Tom Tom Rider 400 is that none of cell apps supports route importing, at least I couldn't find any. Some of them provided some hacks designed by end user to import .itn or .gpx formated files but it was real pain in the back to actually do it. With Tom Tom Rider 400 I use MyRoute.app for designing / saving my routes and it take couple clicks and route is uploaded to my GPS unit. Another advantages of GPS unit vs cell is waterproof, ability to use touch screen wearing gloves. Some people prefer Garmin GPS units but I hate their GUI, and the route designing software (BaseCamp) is not my cup of tea, runs very slow on my laptop with I7 processor and 32 GB of RAM.
I think that cell phone with good app will do just fine if one just needs navigation instructions how to get from point A to point B, no need to spend extra cash on GPS. If one wants to design routes and share with other people the Tom Tom or Garmin GPS unit would be the way to go.

For those of us living in Europe, it used to be that if you used data roaming (depending on contract) on your mobile phone outside your country of residence the costs could be astronomical. It was not uncommon for people to receive three and four figure bills on return from holiday. I still tend to use the TomTom when visiting relatives in the UK or transiting through Europe, and certainly when on holiday in the States. Also my GPS has a larger screen than my iPhone 5s and is lockable to the bike so for me win win.

Back