• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Which wheel touches using a centre stand on a V7 Racer?

timothy st.john

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hello everyone,

Upon which wheel does the V7 Racer rest when placed on a centre stand, because I'm thinking of using a centre stand only. The risks are only risks if they are actual, and not just feared. What's your experience?

I've read the posts on centre stands for the V7 elsewhere in this forum, but its difficult to make any sense out of what was said; because kind people from different regions protested what appear to be differing results without recognizing the probable difference in their side stands.

As I understand it, the 'euro' stand is the only one designed to work with the OEM centre stand. The Stuchi seems to deploy with the American side stand, as long as you sequence the stands properly, but doesn't close completely. Is that correct?

However, my experience (advised by a science free of prejudice or fear) suggests that a centre stand is sufficient to protect against everything except malice. I applied my brain (physics and geometry) to a K75 with a centre stand that was my daily driver for ten years without incident.

Sufficient downhill lean will cause a bike to come of both types of stands. Admittedly, it takes less force to knock a bike off a side stand. However, people seem to sense less encouragement or invitation to throw their leg over another individuals bike when its on a centre stand.

Surely , its other people that drop your stationary bike! COME ON! (thank you Gob Bluth). Thank you!

Tim

Hello,

Thanks for posting and for that info. I'd wager that you are right about the way it comes to rest. By the way, which center stand do you have?

Timothy St. James

Thanks for replying! I got busy and failed in uptake of your response. I was wondering which brand of centre stand you had purchased. There seems to be 3: the OEM Guzzi, the Stucchi, and the Hepco and Becker. The first two I've already mentioned in passing.

I've just now asked Hepco & Becker if their centre stand works without interfering with the North American side stand and exhaust. I will post their reply as soon as I have it in hand. But my experience is that many manufacturers just can't be bothered to reply; we'll see in this case.

As I said, it seems that the Stucchi centre stand works as long as you are willing to deploy the side stand in consideration of it. That's not such an inconvenience for the advantage of having a centre stand, unless of course there are other issues, such as it not folding up out of the way completely due to interference.

Its one thing to sacrifice a painted black exhaust hanger for another painted black exhaust hanger, in order to enable this enterprise, but a slightly different one to remove a 'pretty' billet aluminium one on a Racer, whose aesthetic is intended to be registered, for a black one that is intended to disappear into the frame.

Does anybody have any information regarding this? I would still like to hear any valid justifications for retaining the centre stand, that don't include parking on hills or soft ground, because its ridiculous to spend over $400 to enjoy a centre stand that requires the purchase of a euro side stand; especially on an inexpensive bike like this.

Timothy St. John

Last edited:
I can't remember which center stand I got, I think it was from Stucchi. The "interference" with the side stand isn't an issue. Just deploy the side stand first so it's out of the way. No problem really.

Helloooooo out there?

Its been a while, and this centre stand post died before it got off the ground. I moved to wonder what most of you are doing for servicing situations if you don't have centre stands; I guess you all have work stands. I have three parking stalls in my townhouse complex, but no in-place storage in which to park tools or equipment, so I need this particular solution to work.

Maybe owners of V7 Racers don't use centre stands because the painted black stand 'stop' that comes with the Stucchi centre stand (that upon which it comes to rest when it is in the up position), and hangs, I think, from the two bolts that fasten the muffler hanger plate (not to be confused with the billet aluminum exhaust hanger) on the left side muffler, is too visually obtrusive. Thoughts?

Timothy St. John

P.S. Thanks warendt and sign216.

Helloooooo out there?

Its been a while, and this centre stand post died before it got off the ground. I moved to wonder what most of you are doing for servicing situations if you don't have centre stands; I guess you all have work stands. I have three parking stalls in my townhouse complex, but no in-place storage in which to park tools or equipment, so I need this particular solution to work.

Maybe owners of V7 Racers don't use centre stands because the painted black stand 'stop' that comes with the Stucchi centre stand (that upon which it comes to rest when it is in the up position), and hangs, I think, from the two bolts that fasten the muffler hanger plate (not to be confused with the billet aluminum exhaust hanger) on the left side muffler, is too visually obtrusive. Thoughts?

Timothy St. John

P.S. Thanks warendt and sign216.

I have a V7Classic with just the side stand. I like it because it is quite a bit lighter, and as you state, not as obtrusive as the center stand. With that being said, the hinge point of the side stand seems to wear very rapidly. I have had to replace the pivot bolt and its accompanying bracket twice. The bike has 30,000 miles on it. I have managed to work around the limitations of the side stand whilst servicing, however I am seriously considering a center stand only approach.
At this point it seems to me that the functional aspects of the center stand outweigh the negative aspects of its appearance.

I have a V7Classic with just the side stand. I like it because it is quite a bit lighter, and as you state, not as obtrusive as the center stand. With that being said, the hinge point of the side stand seems to wear very rapidly. I have had to replace the pivot bolt and its accompanying bracket twice. The bike has 30,000 miles on it. I have managed to work around the limitations of the side stand whilst servicing, however I am seriously considering a center stand only approach.
At this point it seems to me that the functional aspects of the center stand outweigh the negative aspects of its appearance.

Hello!

Thanks for reviving interest in this thread mwrenn. As I said, my BMW K75 had only a centre stand, and I never missed the side stand. Its a very European way to go; wait, maybe that should read Germanic (includes Bavaria).

I hadn't really stopped to consider the aesthetic issues before. The Racer is so in your face, that I doubt anyone would even notice the centre stand. I feel that its only our advised anatomical view of it, as riders, that cause us to strip away, with our minds eye, all non-performance equipment, to look appreciatively at the meat of the machine, therefore viewing the centre stand as a blight on its grace, symmetry, poise, and profile.

Does anyone know if all centre stands are created equal, in terms of their structural integrity, sturdiness and stability? Two of us want to know. Soon two will become three, and we will become legion, and then Todd can do a bulk order for us through Todd's Moto Guzzi Parts Palace. We can work on that name. Just kidding; or not!

Timothy St. John

I do not know about the other center stand manufacturers, however I have determined to install the Moto Guzzi factory center stand on my machine.
I have fitted other aftermarket products in the past, and eventually became disappointed with them. This feeling was primarily based on the lack of longevity inherent in the design of said parts. I am speaking primarily of the Stucchi cafe fairing, also various mirrors, handlebars, headlamp assemblies etc.

I do not know about the other center stand manufacturers, however I have determined to install the Moto Guzzi factory center stand on my machine.
I have fitted other aftermarket products in the past, and eventually became disappointed with them. This feeling was primarily based on the lack of longevity inherent in the design of said parts. I am speaking primarily of the Stucchi cafe fairing, also various mirrors, handlebars, headlamp assemblies etc.

Thanks For posting again.

I wish I could compare them side by side. I'll troll some more and report back in case you haven't made your move yet.

Timothy St. John

Hi everyone,

Has any one noticed that the Stucchi centre stands have disappeared? All of them, gone from MG's website, and it seems the internet. Anyone know what happened? I had just gotten around to choosing a centre stand, and now it seem that the only on available is the OEM; which requires the euro side-stand that will set you back over $300 dollars for the pair.

Timothy St. John

Hi everyone,

Has any one noticed that the Stucchi centre stands have disappeared? All of them, gone from MG's website, and it seems the internet. Anyone know what happened? I had just gotten around to choosing a centre stand, and now it seem that the only on available is the OEM; which requires the euro side-stand that will set you back over $300 dollars for the pair.

Timothy St. John
I believe Stucchi has gone out of business.

Really!

I had no idea they were struggling. Too bad for the hobby. It always is when competition dies. I guess that's why the cost of the OEM centre stand went up so considerably.

Strange though that the stock would disappear off everyone's shelves in a heart beat, rather than slowly run out of stock. Thanks for the heads up.

Timothy St. John

Hi!

Thanks for the url. It looks a bit different though, but I'll do some research.

LGC is the company that vends the Stucchi crash bars I bought recently.

I'll post what I find out.

Timothy St. John

Back