• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Wiring LED Brake Light on '14 V7 Stone

Phil Cappadona

Just got it firing!
Hello all,

First time post on the forum. Such a wealth of Guzzi knowledge on this site that Todd and everyone else has contributed over the years. Thanks!

I recently bought the V7 Fender Eliminator and LED Brake Light from GuzziTech and I am hoping there is at least one of you out there that have done the same and could offer some guidance on wiring the new brake light to the OEM wires. I have seen a few posts on here reference the OEM wiring guide but I that does not help me much.

Thanks for the help!

Phil, wiring for the LED is HERE.
On the bike, the three wire plug is what you'll use. One is running (green), one is brake (yellow/grey) and the other is ground (blue).

Thanks, Todd. On my V7 the wires from the original brake light are as follows: green, green/yellow and blue. All three of those wires were taken off of the OEM brake light that had connectors for a bulb. For the plate illuminator, there are two wires tied together, one yellow and one blue, leading into the same plug/connector piece (I assume these wires are no longer needed now that I have the tail tidy installed).

On the LED brake light, the three separate wires are yellow, blue and black. I assume I would attach yellow with yellow, blue with blue and then yellow/green with black. Correct?

Still, the one remaining issue I have is how to connect the LED wires to the existing V7 wires. There are no plugs or connectors already there that make the wires hook together. Does that mean I need to solder the wires together or obtain connectors for them? Sorry if I am missing something very obvious here. It is my first time doing anything electrical on my motorcycle.

Thanks, Todd. On my V7 the wires from the original brake light are as follows: green, green/yellow and blue. All three of those wires were taken off of the OEM brake light that had connectors for a bulb. For the plate illuminator, there are two wires tied together, one yellow and one blue, leading into the same plug/connector piece (I assume these wires are no longer needed now that I have the tail tidy installed).
On the LED brake light, the three separate wires are yellow, blue and black. I assume I would attach yellow with yellow, blue with blue and then yellow/green with black. Correct? Still, the one remaining issue I have is how to connect the LED wires to the existing V7 wires. There are no plugs or connectors already there that make the wires hook together.
You'll need to splice the blue off the LED to OEM green, LED RED to OEM green/yellow and LED black to OEM blue.
You can snip, soldier or mechanically fasten using a crimp connector (or posi-tap at most electrical warehouses) direct wire to wire or to the plug wires on the removed side.
You do not need the tag light circuit any longer. Just disconnect at the plug.

Todd, my 2014 V7 Stone OEM taillight wire colors are as follows: yellow, blue, yellow/green. LED taillight wire colors are as follows: blue, yellow, black. I have tried all possible connection combinations and the LED does not illumniate for ground, brake nor running. Could it be that a fuse is out? The directionals are working. Not sure if those are on the same fuse as taillight. Thanks for your advice.

Todd, my 2014 V7 Stone OEM taillight wire colors are as follows: yellow, blue, yellow/green. LED taillight wire colors are as follows: blue, yellow, black. I have tried all possible connection combinations and the LED does not illumniate for ground, brake nor running. Could it be that a fuse is out? The directionals are working. Not sure if those are on the same fuse as taillight. Thanks for your advice.
Hey Phil, I know this is an old thread but for anyone else out there who might need it....
The Yellow with Green stripe is the brake light, the Yellow is the running light, and he blue is ground. So if you're using the LED light, pair the wires this way:
Brown with Yellow/Green Stripe
Yellow with Yellow
Green with Blue

Hope this helps

Of note, the LED running light is not super bright with the smoke lens and if you throw out the spacers on the turn signals you'll need to get new bolts to attach them to the fender eliminator as the stock ones are too long

Hey Phil, I know this is an old thread but for anyone else out there who might need it....
The Yellow with Green stripe is the brake light, the Yellow is the running light, and he blue is ground. So if you're using the LED light, pair the wires this way:
Yellow with Yellow
Green with Blue

Hope this helps

Of note, the LED running light is not super bright with the smoke lens and if you throw out the spacers on the turn signals you'll need to get new bolts to attach them to the fender eliminator as the stock ones are too long

What size bolts would you need? I'm sure I'll figure it out once I take it apart but I want to have everything I need to do this in one sitting. I'm just waiting on my brake light to arrive, i went with a regular Lucas style non LED

What size bolts would you need? I'm sure I'll figure it out once I take it apart but I want to have everything I need to do this in one sitting. I'm just waiting on my brake light to arrive, i went with a regular Lucas style non LED

I bought 2 20mm M6 bolts from Lowe's and they worked for the turn signals. They don't have he same hex head as the OEM but are just as effective. You'll also want to get some connector pairs to splice wires together. Everything else I was able to reuse as far as wiring harness. Simple process but it does take time to remove from the OEM fender.

Yellow with Yellow
Green with Blue

Hope this helps

I'm kind of stuck on my project. I didn't go LED, I went with a regular incandescent in a lucas style light. So I have a red and black wire on the new light, only 2 wires.

What I have right now from the OEM harness is the yellow and yellow/green spliced together, and the blue on its own. When I connect them to the new twilight it's not getting brighter for braking, it turns on (and stays on) as a running light but when I hit he brakes it's stays the same level of brightness. What am I doing wrong? I'm calling it a night, god I hate wiring.

Any help is appreciated

If the wiring is the same as the 2013, the blue wire is a ground wire. The yellow/green is the brake signal, and green is the tail for the 2013. Since the colors appear to be different, get or make a test light and confirm the yellow/green is brake, and the yellow is tail on your machine. Looking at a schematic and using a test light can answer all your questions. Guessing and tying wires together never works.

If the wiring is the same as the 2013, the blue wire is a ground wire. The yellow/green is the brake signal, and green is the tail for the 2013. Since the colors appear to be different, get or make a test light and confirm the yellow/green is brake, and the yellow is tail on your machine. Looking at a schematic and using a test light can answer all your questions. Guessing and tying wires together never works.

I figured it out with some YouTube/googling. Thanks

Last edited:
What ever happened to using skill and and your brain to figure things out? If people don't learn these skills what will happen when folks need to figure out something for the first time?

I figured I could ask questions on the forum that's specific to the bike I own. I wasn't born a tradesman so I don't have the wiring skills that maybe you have. I wasn't taught how to be a mechanic or an electrician growing up so I learn as I go. I figured the internet is a modern tool that I could use to learn things or to answer questions I may have. Maybe you were also born more intelligent than I am. Congratulations on that and excuse me for using the forum to try and finish my project properly.

I figured I could ask questions on the forum that's specific to the bike I own. I wasn't born a tradesman so I don't have the wiring skills that maybe you have. I wasn't taught how to be a mechanic or an electrician growing up so I learn as I go. I figured the internet is a modern tool that I could use to learn things or to answer questions I may have. Maybe you were also born more intelligent than I am. Congratulations on that and excuse me for using the forum to try and finish my project properly.

Here is the thing, I provided a simple way for you to solve your issue with a simple tool called a test light. Nothing difficult in that. The purpose of forums is not just to provide answers, but to teach others how to solve problems as well.

Here is the thing, I provided a simple way for you to solve your issue with a simple tool called a test light. Nothing difficult in that. The purpose of forums is not just to provide answers, but to teach others how to solve problems as well.

Right, and I didn't have access to that tool. I thought maybe someone had been in my exact situation and could share the answer on this forum, typically that happens on some forums. I figured it out in my own way and now everything works properly. Thanks for the insight, replies, and sharing your knowledge mod. I won't continue adding useles replies to this thread, thanks.

Back