• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Updated Griso parts?

mojohand

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi all,

Helping the new Guzzi dealer in Richmond, VA, suss out some stuff. Curious whether the 2015 Grisos have any fixes to these issues:
  • Spark plug boots crapping out
  • Speedo cable susceptible to waterlogging (and killing the speedo)
  • Oil pressure sensor still a crap part that can (and will) fail without warning
  • Sucky gas mileage
Not trying to be a troll or rabble-rouser--the Rosso looks stunning, and I might even be tempted to return to Guzzi myself (after a six-bike run since 2004). I wanted to find out from y'all, though, whether any of these previous issues have been fixed.

Also, regarding the spoked wheels: Have any reports of air leakage arisen? Any issues with the seal on these wheels?

Thanks!

• Spark plug boots crapping out
  • Speedo cable susceptible to waterlogging (and killing the speedo)
  • Oil pressure sensor still a crap part that can (and will) fail without warning
  • Sucky gas mileage
Per what Dave wrote, however this is likely the case...
1. Spark plug boots will likely be unchanged from '07.
2. Count on the speedo sensor being unchanged and simply needing the sensor cable inlet waterproofed with a dab of silicone/RTV.
3. Likely unchanged.
4. Status quo, especially when new with low miles. Fixing the fueling and adding miles helps immensely.

Per what Dave wrote, however this is likely the case...
1. Spark plug boots will likely be unchanged from '07.
2. Count on the speedo sensor being unchanged and simply needing the sensor cable inlet waterproofed with a dab of silicone/RTV.
3. Likely unchanged.
4. Status quo, especially when new with low miles. Fixing the fueling and adding miles helps immensely.
Thanks, Dave and Todd. Disappointing a bit, especially #3. That has left me stranded twice on my Norge and a pal once on his (we both don't own them). Still, I love the Griso. I don't like its lack of ABS (that's just me, no flame wars, y'all), but I fear that whatever makes it to the States post-EU ABS requirement won't be a Griso. And I would love to help Scoot Richmond out--great folks, and they've been a Piaggio dealer for years (so they know pluses and minuses there). While I was in there Saturday, a customer bought the first Guzzi they've sold since taking the brand on...in the past two weeks (he's buying a V7 Special).

They love the Griso, and have one as a demo, too. Pretty cool. If only Guzzi would fix these known-for-years issues...

Again, grazie!

Anyone have any info on the reliability of those sealed spoked wheels? And do I recall, Todd, that you're selling cast wheels that would swap out? Just looking to send business your way ;)

This entire thread is an example of why Moto Guzzi sells in such low volumes. A Japanese manufacturer seeing these niggling problems would fix them in a year or two. Why Guzzi does not is perplexing. The cost would be negligible and probably a savings in the long run due to reduced warranty claims. Plus their reputation would improve and sales would go up. I was talking to a friend tonight who wants to ride my California next summer to see what it is that makes me keep it after all the stupid stuff on it that Guzzi accepts as normal that cause problems and the fact that I bought another one after the problems my Norge gave me baffles him.
Lets see. The need to change suppliers or tell the one they have to seal a cable and produce a better sensor and this is beyond their ability? The current owners have already found a plug cap that works so they change it to that. Cost of the bike goes up $10. Yeah, that would break the deal.

If someone doesn't want a Guzzi because they can't put in the minor amount of money and effort required to fix a few easy to fix issues.....
Well it seems to me they really don't want a Guzzi. If those kinds of things are deal breakers to them I hate to think what would happen if they bought a Guzzi 20 or 30 years ago. I think their head would explode.

And I believe the oil sensor is pretty much the same parts as on Aprilia's. I have not had one on any of my Guzzi's fail but the one on my Ape failed, at about 100 miles.

It's about wanting to ride, and not wanting to tow their vehicles. To buy a new bike and then be told that you have to repair the failures of the manufacturer are not great sales techniques, IMHO.

I just wanted to know if Guzzi had addressed these issues recently. Apparently not. And the oil pressure sensor is a known fault item. I had two fail on my Norge in a year. My friend had one fail on his Norge in a year. And I have read of others, too, on this and other forums, whose sensors failed.

Regardless, and not wanting to move into a flame war, I was curious if changes had been made.

Thanks, Dave and Todd. Disappointing a bit, especially #3. That has left me stranded twice on my Norge and a pal once on his (we both don't own them). Still, I love the Griso. I don't like its lack of ABS (that's just me, no flame wars, y'all), but I fear that whatever makes it to the States post-EU ABS requirement won't be a Griso. And I would love to help Scoot Richmond out--great folks, and they've been a Piaggio dealer for years (so they know pluses and minuses there). While I was in there Saturday, a customer bought the first Guzzi they've sold since taking the brand on...in the past two weeks (he's buying a V7 Special).

They love the Griso, and have one as a demo, too. Pretty cool. If only Guzzi would fix these known-for-years issues...

Again, grazie!

Anyone have any info on the reliability of those sealed spoked wheels? And do I recall, Todd, that you're selling cast wheels that would swap out? Just looking to send business your way ;)

I have a 2014 Griso with just under 2,000 miles. It has the spoked wheels. I check the tires each time before I ride (weekends only) and sometimes they are a few lbs low and sometimes they are fine. No big issues but they should be checked like any bike. Hope that helps.

I have a 2014 Griso with just under 2,000 miles. It has the spoked wheels. I check the tires each time before I ride (weekends only) and sometimes they are a few lbs low and sometimes they are fine. No big issues but they should be checked like any bike. Hope that helps.
Yes, atwelljk2 -- that answers a specific question. Good to know. Thx.

I am new to this forum and looking into buying my first Guzzi (a new Griso). Are the spoked wheels sealed like a BMW GS or tube rims?

Had the front tyre go flat on my new 2014 Griso only recently. Bike had less than 1,000kms on it. Reason was that one of the spokes had loosened, and the o-ring in the rim wasn't sealing. When I tried pumping it up again I could hear the air leaking out. Yep, it was that bad. Dealer tightened the spokes, and it's been ok since. I don't lose even a single psi over 2 weeks now.

So, moral of the story........check your spoke tension!

This entire thread is an example of why Moto Guzzi sells in such low volumes. A Japanese manufacturer seeing these niggling problems would fix them in a year or two. Why Guzzi does not is perplexing. The cost would be negligible and probably a savings in the long run due to reduced warranty claims. Plus their reputation would improve and sales would go up. I was talking to a friend tonight who wants to ride my California next summer to see what it is that makes me keep it after all the stupid stuff on it that Guzzi accepts as normal that cause problems and the fact that I bought another one after the problems my Norge gave me baffles him.
Lets see. The need to change suppliers or tell the one they have to seal a cable and produce a better sensor and this is beyond their ability? The current owners have already found a plug cap that works so they change it to that. Cost of the bike goes up $10. Yeah, that would break the deal.

The Italian companies never were very good at updating nor doing recalls. During the 60's, 70's & earlier 80's the Italian & British motorcycle attitude was, you don't like it buy something else. This is from a former dealer of Ducati, Guzzi, Triumph & Norton. They didn't care & the Italians still haven't learnt a lesson the the new Triumph Company did. That's why the Japanese will always out sell any Italian bike. It's sad really sad because I do like my Italian motorcycles. However I think my next is going to be KTM, Adventurer

The Italian companies never were very good at updating nor doing recalls. During the 60's, 70's & earlier 80's the Italian & British motorcycle attitude was, you don't like it buy something else. This is from a former dealer of Ducati, Guzzi, Triumph & Norton. They didn't care & the Italians still haven't learnt a lesson the the new Triumph Company did. That's why the Japanese will always out sell any Italian bike. It's sad really sad because I do like my Italian motorcycles. However I think my next is going to be KTM, Adventurer
That is somewhat true about the Italian brands of old. Especially Ducati. But that is not as much true now as it was back then. With MG it really depends on the dealer, but the same is true with any brand. I have seen horrible experiences with Honda, Suzuki, BMW, etc.. Much of it depends on your dealer. If you do not have a good local Guzzi dealer it is that much harder to have a happy Guzzi experience. My own experience, with my local dealer, was excellent.
As to the oil pressure switch being a "known issue" , maybe they are, but I have not heard of it being a common issue on Guzzi's. But since the same switch is used on Aprilia's, and it is a known issue there, it certainly could be more common than it is. But part of that is just that parts fail. And part of that is that when you are a little part buyer you don't have as much weight with your suppliers as a larger brand does. And part of it is how important is the part. A oil pressure switch is kinda important, but failure of that part isn't going to stop the motor from running or leave you stranded.
When you buy something out of the common like a Guzzi you do have to assume that you may run into things you wouldn't on a Honda. If you think Guzzi has the resources and might of Honda you are dreaming. Wake up. If dealing with a faulty oil pressure switch is enough to put you off from an Italian bike (not just Guzzi but Aprilia and Ducati would fall into that) then fine. Not much can be done about that. But to go from there to KTM, best of luck. They are really cool but they also do not have the resources of Honda and you need to be willing to accept some level of issues. In the end it comes down to what you are willing to put up with to ride the brand of your choice.
Guzzi will likely never be main stream and to expect them to is missing the point. But for those that get it they are the brand of choice. For everyone else, as officer Barbrady would say "nothing to see here, keep moving".

Back