• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GPS Installation

roadventure

GT Reference
I have a Garmin Zumo 550. It is a great GPS that has served me well and I am going to mount the motorcycle cradle on my California. I know there is a pre-wired plug somewhere for the MG accessory GPS, but I'm not sure where I can find it.

If you have put a GPS on your California and can point me in the right direction for the plug I'd appreciate it!

(only six more weeks of winter.........:))

That GPS connector is zip tied to the frame under the left front section of the tank. Remove the plastic cover (in front of the tank) that hides the wires and cables as they emerge from under the tank. You should be able to see the GPS cable and fish it out with a tool.

CAUTION: This is not a generic power lead. It is specific to the newest generation TomTom Rider. You can't just plug your Garmin into it. I suppose you could use a circuit tester to determine which wire is power, ground, etc. and splice a Garmin-compatible connector into the cable.

Use PosiTaps (available on WebBikeWorld.com) to avoid cutting any wires. Just my personal preference; I hate cutting and splicing into factory wiring.

I installed the new TomTom Rider using the factory connector. Powers on and off with the ignition. Having previously owned the first generation Rider and a couple of Garmins, I love this new Rider. Glove-friendly, bright screen. Garmin partisans may not like the interface or that fact that it announces nearby distances in yards rather than feet.

I'm sure there are a lot of Garmin owners awaiting your installation. Please take pictures as you go. Good luck.

P.S. Only six more weeks until Daytona Bike Week. A good test ground for your GPS installation.

That GPS connector is zip tied to the frame under the left front section of the tank. Remove the plastic cover (in front of the tank) that hides the wires and cables as they emerge from under the tank. You should be able to see the GPS cable and fish it out with a tool.

CAUTION: This is not a generic power lead. It is specific to the newest generation TomTom Rider. You can't just plug your Garmin into it. I suppose you could use a circuit tester to determine which wire is power, ground, etc. and splice a Garmin-compatible connector into the cable.

Use PosiTaps (available on WebBikeWorld.com) to avoid cutting any wires. Just my personal preference; I hate cutting and splicing into factory wiring.

I installed the new TomTom Rider using the factory connector. Powers on and off with the ignition. Having previously owned the first generation Rider and a couple of Garmins, I love this new Rider. Glove-friendly, bright screen. Garmin partisans may not like the interface or that fact that it announces nearby distances in yards rather than feet.

I'm sure there are a lot of Garmin owners awaiting your installation. Please take pictures as you go. Good luck.

P.S. Only six more weeks until Daytona Bike Week. A good test ground for your GPS installation.
I, for one am a Garmin

Ok... I started this off wrong. :swear:
I, for one, am a Garmin user and I would like to install my Nuvi on my California. I have the AquaBox to keep it dry.

Please take some pictures of the plug and it's location and your install.
It would be appreciated and used by many.

Okay, that sounds somewhat simple and convenient. I do have a power lead that attaches to the Zumo. All it really needs is a switched power wire and the plug under the front of the gas tank will probably supply that for me.

On this subject, I found an "accessory" connector under the seat.

Upload 2015 2 3 17 45 52

What is this one supposed to be?

Last edited:
That is for a factory accessory heated seat that was never released (not in the USA at least, although it had a part number in MG-USA's accessory catalog when the 1400 was launched). Corbin uses that connector for their heated seat.

Before tapping into either connector, test the voltage to be sure it is compatible with your Garmin.

That is for a factory accessory heated seat that was never released (not in the USA at least, although it had a part number in MG-USA's accessory catalog when the 1400 was launched). Corbin uses that connector for their heated seat.

Before tapping into either connector, test the voltage to be sure it is compatible with your Garmin.

Ah ha! Very nice to have that heated seat plug there in case I ever get one.

I am pretty sure that the voltage for either plug will nominally be 12VDC, right? I am thinking this because the electrical system is 12VDC. Regardless I will check with my VOM to determine the hot wire. FYI, the ZUMO 550 is fused with a 2A fuse so it is a low power draw.

I am pretty sure that the voltage for either plug will nominally be 12VDC, right? I am thinking this because the electrical system is 12VDC.

Probably. I not an electrical engineer, but one told me that GPS are sometimes 5.5 volts. The cigarette lighter cable steps the voltage down somehow. I have no idea what the TomTom Rider requires, but Guzzi engineered that connector specifically for the Rider. If it were me, I would first test the 1400's GPS connector to see if it really is giving the twelve volts the Garmin presumably needs. Perhaps someone on this forum who has the appropriate technical qualifications can enlighten us.

Probably. I not an electrical engineer, but one told me that GPS are sometimes 5.5 volts. The cigarette lighter cable steps the voltage down somehow. I have no idea what the TomTom Rider requires, but Guzzi engineered that connector specifically for the Rider. If it were me, I would first test the 1400's GPS connector to see if it really is giving the twelve volts the Garmin presumably needs. Perhaps someone on this forum who has the appropriate technical qualifications can enlighten us.

On other bikes I have had the Zumo on I tapped into a switched 12V wire. I am confident that the GPS plug that Moto Guzzi has supplied will work just fine.

On other bikes I have had the Zumo on I tapped into a switched 12V wire. I am confident that the GPS plug that Moto Guzzi has supplied will work just fine.

It is, albeit the TomTom connector is as useless as tits on a bull, (unless you own a TomTom). I cut the connector off, and wired an SAE connector on instead. This connector is sorta the de facto standard for motorcycles in my opinion, with battery chargers, inflators, and other devices employing this connector.

The green/orange wire is +12v, the blue is chassis (0v).

Okay, that sounds somewhat simple and convenient. I do have a power lead that attaches to the Zumo. All it really needs is a switched power wire and the plug under the front of the gas tank will probably supply that for me.

View attachment 7881

That connector is for a battery tender. I am wanting to connect a garmin havent done it yet, i did read somewhere that the connector for the TomTom GPS is under the gas tank. Haven't looked into it as of yet.

It is, albeit the TomTom connector is as useless as tits on a bull, (unless you own a TomTom). I cut the connector off, and wired an SAE connector on instead. This connector is sorta the de facto standard for motorcycles in my opinion, with battery chargers, inflators, and other devices employing this connector.

The green/orange wire is +12v, the blue is chassis (0v).

Thanks Kiwi Dave. I do have a few SAE connectors in my random parts box. That's a good use for one set!

Thanks guys, i had a look today and found the heated-seat connector, it was behind the battery. My bike had a battery tender connection also installed from the dealership.

Thanks guys, i had a look today and found the heated-seat connector, it was behind the battery.

Now you can attach it to the handy clip that was designed for it! I must say, I have become impressed with the attention to detail on the California now that it is waiting out the winter in the basement. I keep finding little things that demonstrate the level of thought that went into designing this bike.

I finally got around to installing my Zumo yesterday.

866.jpg

A couple of things were holding me up.

• laziness
  • waiting on a GXM 30 antenna/receiver that I had bought via eBay
D0312_Original_Garmin_GXM30_XM_GPS_Antenna_GXM_30_Satellite_Weather_Traffic_Rece.jpg

D0312_Original_Garmin_GXM30_XM_GPS_Antenna_GXM_30_Satellite_Weather_Traffic_Rece.jpg

Upload 2015 2 15 10 56 4

Okay, that's three things, but it's not all that important to get the count right.

Here is what I ended up doing. I received the GXM 30 and next needed to get appropriate screws to attach it to a mount. They are, if you need to know, M3X.50X12LG. I found a Pan Head Slotted Machine Screw at my local LOWE'S that worked. In case you can't find any locally you can also order from McMaster-Carr ( http://www.mcmaster.com/#91200a118/=vx5v8w ). I may order a different screw in the future ( http://www.mcmaster.com/#90317a121/=vx5x8j ) but what I found at LOWE'S worked for now.

That was all the parts I needed because I already had the Ram Mount parts from using the Zumo motorcycle mount on previous bikes. I re-used the handlebar mount with the u-bolt to attach the whole assembly similar to what is shown in the generic picture of Zumo.

The only unknown was switched power for Zumo. Based on advice from you all, I found the pre-wired power line under the left side of the tank. Since it had a connector that would not work for me I just cut it off and spliced my "+" and ground wires from Zumo into them. I then tucked the excess wiring length back under the left side of the gas tank and replaced the left-hand black plastic cover.

Now Zumo is mounted, powered by the switched accessory power line and ready to run with Sirius/XM Radio.

If you're interested in seeing a pictures of my actual installation, say so. Positioning of the GPS is subject to personal preferences so where I put mine may not work for you...

Hope this is helpful!

I have a Garmin 60CS that I use on my trail bike. Being a cheap skate and not wanting to buy another GPS. I did some research and found the mating connector for the 12V power harness Guzzi was kind enough to provide.

Turns out that BMW uses the same connector for some lighting and offers a premade pig tail harness part number 83300402344. I ordered one online from a BMW dealer. Plugged right in!!

For anyone that doesn't want to cut or splice the factory wiring, this is the way to go!

Untitled1 Untitled Untitled2

Turns out that BMW uses the same connector for some lighting and offers a premade pig tail harness part number 83300402344. I ordered one online from a BMW dealer. Plugged right in!!

For anyone that doesn't want to cut or splice the factory wiring, this is the way to go!

Great tip. Thanks!

I have a Garmin 60CS that I use on my trail bike. Being a cheap skate and not wanting to buy another GPS. I did some research and found the mating connector for the 12V power harness Guzzi was kind enough to provide.

View attachment 7991 View attachment 7992 View attachment 7993
Hi, i have seen the BMW part in person and have ordered one. Question to you, did you crimp the wires to garmin outlet plugin? or, how did the garmin connect to the other end of the BMW part? loose wires?

Back