• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

old stock new griso

PeteCRacer

Just got it firing!
Hi to all.
would it be any risk or disadvantages on buying a brand new griso 8v, never ridden, old stock that has been sitting for years.
And what maintenance or service would it require if any before regular use.
I would appreciate any input.
Thanks in advace

The bike look flawless shiny and new, been sitting in the showroom filed with oil and unused.
If that is a red light code for trouble than please stop me from buying it.

The bike will have a full warranty. If a flat tappet model, see it you can get it upgraded to the new roller arrangement before delivery. Once updated she should be as good as a current model. The only weak spot I can think of is if the battery was juiced, it may not last long in service if sitting for some time.

The bike will have a full warranty. If a flat tappet model, see it you can get it upgraded to the new roller arrangement before delivery. Once updated she should be as good as a current model. The only weak spot I can think of is if the battery was juiced, it may not last long in service if sitting for some time.
How can I tell if is a flat tappet model? The bike is a 2010 8v mode, and there is no warranty on it but i do have the option of buying warranty.

Thanks.
Is it an expensive upgrade to do?
Yes. The parts kit is like $1500. The heads have to be removed to shim the valves as well. So labor won't be cheap.

I asked on another forum about buying a 2010 or a 2013 and was advised to suck it up and get a 2013 for more $$$. Still haven't bought one though.

Bike has a significant discount would say 40% compared to a new one.
I think it's a rare opportunity.
Is it or I'm just blinded by the desire to own one?

Has this bike ever been titled? If not, then it comes with a full factory warranty -- 2 years unlimited miles plus one year of roadside assistance -- regardless of model year or price paid.

My 2008 Griso (two valve heads) was one of the most enjoyable and most reliable bikes I've ever owned. Sold it in 2014 to buy my California, but only because Sharon enforces a strict three bike rule in our garage.

My advice: buy it before someone else does. As for the extended warranty, it will "overlap" the two year factory warranty; therefore you're really only buying coverage after two years. Ask the dealer if you can delay buying the extended warranty until just before the factory warranty expires.

Yes, has been titled but never picked up. Dealer been storing it for the owner and now selling it on his behalf.
So no warranty.

I would happily buy a flat tappet motor Griso 1200 at 40% off if it is like new. The flat tappet motor doesn't always blow up. There was a recall/warranty issue with the tappets, and at the very least I would confirm that the original flat tappets have been replaced. But if they have been replaced with the revised flat tappets I would have no issues going that way. The factory switched to roller tappets but that was in response to re-occurring issues with the flat tappets that weren't necessarily related to it being a flat tappet motor. Clearly flat tappets work, and while so do roller tappets, the failures were likely from something other than being flat tappets. It has been suggested that the oil may not get hot enough to burn off condensation when ridden in cool climates or on short runs. That may have been causing issues with the flat tappets as they are less resistant to diluted oil (but so are all the plain bearings in the motor, water in oil is bad) . Roller tappets would work better with excessive water in the oil, while making a little less power, but I would suggest that the correct fix is to make sure the oil gets hot enough to burn of the water.

If you do buy it you may want to seriously consider the extended warranty after confirming that it would cover tappet failure, just in case.

Have you ridden it? Guzzi's are not for everyone, but for those that get them they are amazing. An Italian exotic that you can pile the miles on.

Isnt like new,its new. That's why is so tempting.
i haven't ridden it due to the weather.

Personally I'd pass unless a bike like this could be had for under $6.5K OTD or so. And would not plan on retrofitting roller tappets, as that would put it right into the current used model price range. 2013 Grisos can be found for 9K or so, and 2014 with plenty of warranty are starting to pop up here and there at 10-10.5 asking price, sometimes with some good extras.

I'd also not buy any extended warranties, as they are not from the manufacturer and function like bad insurance. Maybe someone can chime in with happy stories involving those; I have yet to hear one. I suppose it depends on the company underwriting that particular warranty plan -- at least research that carefully before making a purchase...

Personally I'd pass unless a bike like this could be had for under $6.5K OTD or so. And would not plan on retrofitting roller tappets, as that would put it right into the current used model price range. 2013 Grisos can be found for 9K or so, and 2014 with plenty of warranty are starting to pop up here and there at 10-10.5 asking price, sometimes with some good extras.

I'd also not buy any extended warranties, as they are not from the manufacturer and function like bad insurance. Maybe someone can chime in with happy stories involving those; I have yet to hear one. I suppose it depends on the company underwriting that particular warranty plan -- at least research that carefully before making a purchase...

I appreciate your opinion, you do have a point i know, however used grisos around here rarely come up for sale, owners seem to hang on to theme.
As for the price I do have a number in mind will see and find out if will happen.

My experience is that I bought a 2007 Griso in 2010 brand new (untitled) from Moto International. Love it and have had no problems. Just make sure all the fluids are checked/changed, have a close look at the tires to make sure they haven't aged badly. All rubber compounds harden as they age, some faster than others.

I'm not sold on the warranty either, like you said third party not manufacturers.
What other updates or recals should I ask questions about? Ecu apdates maybe?

I'm not sold on the warranty either, like you said third party not manufacturers.
What other updates or recals should I ask questions about? Ecu apdates maybe?

There really haven't been any updates on the [atrocious -- IMHO] ECU maps in the 2009-2010 bikes. That's something easily addressed --with the expert help of our host, for instance.

The only big thing to check on is the service communication 002-2009 (camshaft and tappet replacement) and technical bulletin 014-2010 (excessive camshaft end float), if applicable. A 2010 bike should be well out of range for the former and not subject to the latter, I THINK but may be worth checking...

There really haven't been any updates on the [atrocious -- IMHO] ECU maps in the 2009-2010 bikes. That's something easily addressed --with the expert help of our host, for instance.

The only big thing to check on is the service communication 002-2009 (camshaft and tappet replacement) and technical bulletin 014-2010 (excessive camshaft end float), if applicable. A 2010 bike should be well out of range for the former and not subject to the latter, I THINK but may be worth checking...
Thanks, appreciated

Lots of good advice in these posts. One thing I would add is flushing the brake and clutch lines. Condensation can form while the bike sat for so long. It should be done as part of periodic maintenance in any case. If the '10 Griso does not have bleed nipples at the master cylinders -- my '08 did not -- it is good to add them before loading the new fluid. Makes future maintenance a lot easier.

Broadly speaking, there are two types of extended warranties: "named component" and "named exclusion". Stay away from "named component". The brochure will have a long list of stuff that is covered, but the thing that fails may not be on that list. A "named excusion" warranty tells you what is not covered; typically, tires, batteries and things that get replaced as part of routine maintenance. If not specifically excluded, then It is covered. That is the coverage to buy if you buy an extended warranty.

Whether to buy an extended warranty depends on how much you ride and how long you keep the bike. My '08 Griso and '08 California Vintage were both "keepers" on which I put a lot of miles. I deferred the extended warranty decision until near the end of the factory warranties. The Griso never needed anything (extended warranty = no return) whereas the Cal Vin had a major fuel injection failure (extended warranty = more than paid for itself).

Personally, I would buy a new old stock bike over a pristine looking used one any day. A low mileage used one may seem like a good idea, but it is subject to the same concerns as this new one that has been sitting for so long. With the new one, you don't have to worry about what the seller is not telling you.

As the bike has close to zero miles even though it has been sold i would take a photo of the odometer with a date on it when you buy it. The title should also show the mileage and sale date to back you up. If you are like me I suspect you will buy it. If something major happens and you did not buy the extended warranty at least you can ask MG if they will cover. The worst they can do is say no. I would not even want to test ride it if I was serious about buying it without all the oils changed. Then, as Longrider said, change the brake and clutch fluids when you get it home or pay the dealer to do it. If you are unsure you will like a Griso ask if they have another one to ride if they don't want to change the oil first. If it is used you take a chance to save the depriciation money. I have purchased cars and bikes sight unseen over the internet. It's a crapshoot but you take the chance. Everybody told me a Mini Cooper S model was unreliable and a fortune to drive. I bought one used, 5 years and 53,000 miles old, from a car dealer out of Texas with a lot of pictures to look at. I have had it 4 years, 20,000+ miles and it has been great fun with almost no problems. (It will probably make a mushroom cloud when I start it in the spring having said that!)
If the price is right Pull the trigger. :clap:
Just my $0.02.

Oh yea. I forgot to add I bought my 1400 California Tour off the web, out of KY, and paid for it before I ever saw the bike based on the recommendation of another Guzzi owner online who I never met.

Back