• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Starter motor for 2013 griso

Michael ring

Just got it firing!
hi all , I'm new to guzzi ownership and have just got myself a griso with a bit of work needed as the carc casing shattered and bike went on its side, so I'm starting with the starter , forgive the irony . The securing lugs have broken off so I need a new unit , is there anywhere I can source a second Hand or new one but with a better build quality , mine is a Chinese built one

Out of interest, how old is the Griso? A friend of mine was knocked off his by a blind car driver on Christmas Eve, and his CARC casting was smashed. His left leg was smashed too.

Hi , it's a 2013 , I bought it from a insurance auction , I hope he's ok ! It looks like it took a hit from back and went down on side , is he back up and about now , hope it doesn't put him off bikes
Mike

That'll be his, it took a smash from the left side, he was on a mini roundabout and a Honda CRV driver went straight across from his left. His left leg took the full force, and obviously also smashed the starter motor. He's back on his feet, but all braced up. At 67 you don't heal as quickly.
If I were you I would get the frame checked too.

Also try TLM in Holland for second hand parts. Anything from the US will cost you an extra 20% in duty and another £8 for Royal Mail in admin.
http://www.tlm.nl/en/

Also try Ribblesdale auto in Preston, they sorted a start on a boxer twin BMW for me years ago and are capable of fixing anything electrical off any vehicle. They have new and recon units in stock.
http://www.ribblesdale.co.uk/

Last edited:
Oh god ! I hope it gets better for him soon , buying a cat c bike isn't a pleasant thing in a few ways I had a picture from the damage which wasn't that bad when you look close , I thought , well hoped it was only a little hit from back , when you get the real story it hits you , I don't relish in the fact that it's an accident damaged bike but it's about all I can afford , the frame is fine just starter , Swingarm , and cylinder head case and few cosmetic bits , oh and headlight , but got it stopped to check just to make doublet sure , like I say hope he gets up and about soon , give him my best , I would put pics up but might be bit insensitive
Mike

Last edited:
Also try TLM in Holland for second hand parts. Anything from the US will cost you an extra 20% in duty and another £8 for Royal Mail in admin.
http://www.tlm.nl/en/

Also try Ribblesdale auto in Preston, they sorted a start on a boxer twin BMW for me years ago and are capable of fixing anything electrical off any vehicle. They have new and recon units in stock.
http://www.ribblesdale.co.uk/
Thanks for info but getting it fixed is a big no , the case is snapped at both fixings , it started bike fine if you clamped it on bike , I wonder if any older model starters will fit ?

Cheers Mike

Thanks for info but getting it fixed is a big no , the case is snapped at both fixings , it started bike fine if you clamped it on bike , I wonder if any older model starters will fit ?

Cheers Mike

Anything from an 850 T up will fit. It is just the old Bosch starters draw a considerable amount of amps.

The original owner is not a member of this forum, he only knows what I have told him. He is making a good recovery, it could have been so much worse. He actually asked the insurance co to write it off, he didn't want it back.

I thought Guzzi had changed the lug position on the later CARC models, the starter on my Norge doesn't look like the one on my earlier SPIII (I'm talking about the lugs to fit on the clutch housing, not the overall shape of the starter). However I could be wrong. But I would doubt the ability of one of the early Bosch motors to turn over a 1200 engine, the later starters are much more powerful.

Also to answer your other question, AFAIK all the swinging arms and CARCs on the new models are the same, just painted different colours. But if you contact someone like Pete at Reboot, he will know.

The original owner is not a member of this forum, he only knows what I have told him. He is making a good recovery, it could have been so much worse. He actually asked the insurance co to write it off, he didn't want it back.

I thought Guzzi had changed the lug position on the later CARC models, the starter on my Norge doesn't look like the one on my earlier SPIII (I'm talking about the lugs to fit on the clutch housing, not the overall shape of the starter). However I could be wrong. But I would doubt the ability of one of the early Bosch motors to turn over a 1200 engine, the later starters are much more powerful.

Also to answer your other question, AFAIK all the swinging arms and CARCs on the new models are the same, just painted different colours. But if you contact someone like Pete at Reboot, he will know.
Cheers for the reply , I've contacted Pete at reboot about starter , I'll ring him again about Swingarm just as there are loads out there for everything but the Griso , just wondered if he had kept any of the paperwork as the bike needs a code to get a new key , the one I've got is snapped but works
Thanks

Just had the information from James, the original owner. He says both keys went to the insurance co. He does have the owners handbook which he could send on to you, still waiting on the security code. You probably know the service code 12425.

Just had the information from James, the original owner. He says both keys went to the insurance co. He does have the owners handbook which he could send on to you, still waiting on the security code. You probably know the service code 12425.
That's great Brian I'll send pics or post them on forum , cheers for all your help , I see from your profile your only up the road from me in addlestone , I'm in godstone area , if I get done I can shoot over and show it finished ( to a fashion ) to you both
My address is 2 Sandhills cottages
Outwood lane
Bletchingley rh14nl
If he sends I can pay him for it I don't want him out of pocket

Thanks Mike

Back