• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 OEM crash bar vibration issue

elkgrichard

High Miler
Purchased and installed OEM crash bar from AF1 since they had them on sale cheap.

Got the thing installed and noticed a weird vibration into my handle bars and foot pegs at various RPM's. It was really bad at 70 mph and then went away about 75 mph. Lower RPM's it feels as if I have more vibration then usual. Removed the bars with concerns this vibration could crack the frame or something else on the bike.

Is this just me and my bike or anybody else notice this with the OEM crash bars?

Other thing I noticed they do not appear to protect the new larger head all that good, could have been why they sell them for like $69.00 bucks. I almost knew the price was too good to be true. So they now hang on the wall like a prized set of deer antlers along with all the other stupid-purchased items for motorcycles through the years.

Wonder if I can do anything to contain this vibration or eliminate it.

Those jugs being un-protected not a good thing.

Great...I have a set on order!
I will line them up before purchase and if they don't protect the heads they are useless.
I tried to find a pair of the alloy plate 'crash protectors' to bolt to the heads but they do not seem to be available for the later V7 models - or are they available your side of the pond?
AndyB

Interesting post. I have had one '13 V7S here with the cross plate connector on the frame, that this crash bar bolts to, which has cracked. I have had zero seat time on it, but I'll try to get the owner to check in here to see if he noticed the same thing about the vibration.
I bought one of the stock versions to bolt to my RentAGuzzi V7R, and there was no way it was going to fit correctly without putting stress on something. I instead installed the Agostini version, which mimics the old V7 Sport bend.

When I was on the freeway at about 70 I reached down and grab on to that bar and the vibration was so bad it stung my hand. When I got to 75 it was OK or less so that it did not sting my hand so much. But my concern was that this vibration was going to crack my freaking frame. I'm thinking rubber mounting somehow but if this other frame cracked at that yoke crossover this is getting a little too dangerous to mess with for me. All my years of riding I've never had anything that bolted to a frame that turn into a tuning fork like this.

I have the OEM crash bars on my '13 V7Stone and the bracket did indeed crack (see the 2 photos below). I never really experienced any extreme vibration. On longer highway rides (2 or more hours at 75+) my hands would go numb. Perhaps that was attributed to the crash bars? I rode with the crack for about 5 months (mostly waiting for the warranty claim to be accepted) and I want to believe that the numb hand sensation was gone on longer, faster rides but I can't remember for certain if the crack and vibration coincided. The bracket was replaced and re-welded (photo also below) to the frame and the crash bars are back on. I have been riding for about a month now with the newly welded bracket. Not very scientific but I hope the story helps!
bVHWjMG.jpg

7OMhkor.jpg

pVhAPt6.jpg

I don't think I'll be putting those crazy things back on my bike. I would be concern if it cracked the yoke up above that bracket.

I installed an OEM crash bar (part GU973217200008) on my '13 V7 Stone and I haven't had any vibration or fitting problems. However, my crash bar came with a couple of spacers that fit between the upper mounting holes and the frame cross piece. The spacers are part number GU91180913. I suspect that if these spacers are not used, the angle mismatch will cause high stress on the cross piece, enough to break it. Here's a pic of my installation with the spacers.

Attachments

• IMG_1922.jpg
    IMG_1922.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Sib, be aware I mounted using those spacers and it still put vibration into my frame.

Run that bike up to 70 mph and above and then put your hand on that bar, you can then feel the force of that vibration, pretty strong vibration, enough to crack that frame.

I'd return them to AF1. They are very good with customer service. I have the one-piece Agostini. Very sturdy, and no issues. Guess you get what you pay for,

Down the road I may try and figure out some type of rubber mount vibration isolation system for these crash bars. Rain day project. Something similar to the Norton engine mount system. Only just have the crash bars isolated.

Sib, be aware I mounted using those spacers and it still put vibration into my frame.

Run that bike up to 70 mph and above and then put your hand on that bar, you can then feel the force of that vibration, pretty strong vibration, enough to crack that frame.
That's not my experience. I've been riding for over 10K miles since putting the bar on my V7 Stone, and I've never felt excess vibration. In fact, for a bike with two cylinders and no engine isolation, there's surprisingly little vibration at any speed.

WOW,I believe you, wonder why my crash bars act like a tuning fork.

Did you tighten those two top crossover frame bolts very tight or just snug them down? Because I tighten those down as tight as I could get them.

WOW,I believe you, wonder why my crash bars act like a tuning fork.

Did you tighten those two top crossover frame bolts very tight or just snug them down? Because I tighten those down as tight as I could get them.
I followed the tightening torques indicated on the parts pic: 30 Nm for the top bolts, 50 Nm for the bottom bolts. I used Loctite on all bolts. For those who need to get or fabricate upper spacers, the dimensions are 9 mm ID, 18 OD, 20 mm thick. As I mentioned previously, the OEM part number of the spacers is GU91180913.

I have the OEM crash bars on my '13 V7Stone and the bracket did indeed crack (see the 2 photos below). I never really experienced any extreme vibration. On longer highway rides (2 or more hours at 75+) my hands would go numb. Perhaps that was attributed to the crash bars? I rode with the crack for about 5 months (mostly waiting for the warranty claim to be accepted) and I want to believe that the numb hand sensation was gone on longer, faster rides but I can't remember for certain if the crack and vibration coincided. The bracket was replaced and re-welded (photo also below) to the frame and the crash bars are back on. I have been riding for about a month now with the newly welded bracket. Not very scientific but I hope the story helps!
bVHWjMG.jpg

7OMhkor.jpg

pVhAPt6.jpg
Who did the re-welding for you..?? was it at a Guzzi dealership.?

Only just noticed this post regarding the engine guards. Last weekend I just installed the Stucchi engine guards from AF1 Racing in Texas. They are of the wrap around type in Black chrome. Bolted them up using the top bracket as instructed with the Italian instructions that came with. Cost of the guards were around $187.00. Haven't had time yet to get the bike out for a good ride yet but hopefully now tomorrow i'll do it and report back. One thing I DID notice is the two VERY poor "O" rubber rings which when I fitted were still very loose at the top fitting.. Will let you guys know..

Gruzzer, are you going to put those crash bars back on the bike, or did you put them back on?
They are indeed back on! I have grabbed them a few times at various speeds, 30 - 70mph, and they do vibrate but nothing that seems alarming. The pressure of my grip on them quiets the vibration and I don't notice any vibration riding in general. When they welded the bracket it they made it a bit more robust.

I can confirm that the OEM engine guards do indeed protect the heads on a V7 Stone on a fall. My wife's bike went down after she hit a patch of leftover winter sand on the asphalt yesterday. Because she was wearing full gear, she just bruised her knee, but nothing that stopped her from riding it home.
The heads were fine, other than some scratching on the plastic plug cover (right-side head). The rider foot peg snapped in half though, so we had to remove it and move the passenger peg to the front position for her to ride it home. A few scratches on her right hand guard and mirror, and exhaust pipe, but nothing beyond cosmetic damage.
Eric

Back