• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Own a Guzzi, guess I'm rich?

Yarvis

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Just a little rant and some observations. I have been riding motorcycles since I was a teen in 1982. My first motorized bike was a Moto Guzzi moped that my father bought for me from his cousin. I LOVED that Guzzi and boy, it treated me well. The only thing breaking on it was a speedometer cable in the 3 years I owned it. Yes, it was a pain mixing the gas and oil in a jug, but it never stranded me. Next was a Honda highway legal scooter I bought from a well known bike shop on the west side of Manhattan. I paid FULL asking price and couldn't get a helmet thrown in (or discounted) on the deal when I went to pick it up and ride back to the Bronx. I was so angry when the salesman told me I needed to wear a helmet with this scooter and he wouldn't throw in the helmet that I just rode off. I almost made it into the Bronx when I was stopped by two cops who saw I was riding without a helmet. At first they thought I was a thief or something and checked all my paperwork top to bottom. When they asked about the helmet and I told them my story, they actually felt bad for me and let me go. Of course it took forever to get home because I took all side streets to avoid the highways. I have always tried to support my local dealers even way back then. I bought that so much needed helmet from a bike shop on Blondell Avenue in the Bronx the next day for a lot less money than in Manhattan. Fast forward over thirty years later. I was emailing with a Guzzi "guru" today who got angry with me when I asked him why I would need to leave my Cali Touring for a day or more for a job that should take no more than an hour or so, to have some fairly easy farkles installed? He actually told me I should do the job myself if its only going to take an hour to do! I'm supposed to ride to him almost two hours, drop my bike off, find my way to the railroad station, travel back to my home state OVER two hours (pay a ton of money) then wait for a call a day or two later. Travel back to his shop over two hours, find my way back to said shop to be charged who knows what, to pick up my bike with the $130 item installed! That's right, everyone who owns a Guzzi, or a BMW or BOTH (like me) is a rich old dude. Well news flash, I'm not rich. I work hard for my toys and I shop very carefully. I own my own house, have a kid heading to college in a few months and in negotiations to buy my retirement home in NC. I have no problem paying for things, do I like a deal? Sure who doesn't? Would I ever ask a dealer to give me something for free? That depends. Did I ask Mr Guru to do this job for free? Absolutely not! I just want to be treated fairly with dignity and RESPECT. Mr. Guru worked at another dealer that went out of business a few years ago, you would think he would want his business to succeed no? Go ahead, keep trying to bleed customers, let's see how long you stay in business. Because of Gurus like this, I have learned to do the light stuff, oil changes, brake pads, fluid changes, even tire changes in my friends house because Guru's aren't happy with being fair, they want to over charge for everything. Thanks Mr. Guru, you lost a potential customer because you were looking to bleed me dry. I hope you stay in business a long time, I'm sure the REAL rich Guzzi guys will keep you in caviar and bon bons.

Last edited:
He actually told me I should do the job myself if its only going to take an hour to do!

Sounds to me like this guy had some good advice for you. Why not do it yourself if it was only going to take an hour? You clearly have the skills to do what you wanted done.

Personally, I would MUCH rather do work on my bike myself than let someone else touch it. I have had far to many disappointments from paying "mechanics" to do work.

Off topic, where are you looking to move to in North Carolina?

dave
bel air, md

Sounds to me like this guy had some good advice for you. Why not do it yourself if it was only going to take an hour? You clearly have the skills to do what you wanted done.

Personally, I would MUCH rather do work on my bike myself than let someone else touch it. I have had far to many disappointments from paying "mechanics" to do work.

Off topic, where are you looking to move to in North Carolina?

dave
bel air, md

Dave
Believe it or not, my one and only weakness is working with wiring, especially the wiring on MG's. The wires have stripes on them that actually confuses me sometimes. I was able to find a good chart showing me the proper wires, but again, bike wires in general are so tiny, i sometimes get confused with the color schemes. Otherwise I would have done this LONG ago. For sure because of this guys inability to be fair and his rudeness, I have indeed been pressed into doing this myself.
I agree, working on ones own bike is much more desired. You get to see your own bikes inner workings, and of course save quite a bit of money. I have looked in the Greensboro, Charlotte and Asheville area's. I aslo looked right over the Border into Rock Hill, SC. My wife and I ALMOST bought a house in Asheville, but that deal fell through.

Yarvis, you are rich beyond belief - Firstly you own a Guzzi and therefore and rich beyond anyone else's standards (except ours maybe). Shame on the x-guru dealer - what goes around comes back to bite - karma will deal with the guru all in good time.

In the meantime, do what you can yourself and consult back here often to share your experiences and ask assistance - more "real" gurus here than you can poke a stick at - all based in the real world. We all help each other, we are Guzzisti, we are rich as we all have each other to lean on.

Yarvis, you are rich beyond belief - Firstly you own a Guzzi and therefore and rich beyond anyone else's standards (except ours maybe). Shame on the x-guru dealer - what goes around comes back to bite - karma will deal with the guru all in good time.

In the meantime, do what you can yourself and consult back here often to share your experiences and ask assistance - more "real" gurus here than you can poke a stick at - all based in the real world. We all help each other, we are Guzzisti, we are rich as we all have each other to lean on.

Oz
Thank you for the kind words of encouragement! I belong to two other Internet bike sites, Chromeheads.org. And 1130cc.com. I can't tell you all of the info and tips I learned there and more importantly, friends I have made. Because of that site and even 1130cc.com I learned to work on my bikes and where to buy from. Honestly, I was starting to think Guzzisti weren't as friendly, but you guys have shown me otherwise.
Thanks again!

You say it is the wiring that turns you away. I am not fond of Guzzi's wiring either but if it is a Guzzi accessory you are installing it may be plug in. Maybe post an ask on how to install it or do a search. The heated grips (I did mine) and GPS both have plugs. They are a bit hidden but there are instructions on here where they are.

Dave
I have looked in the Greensboro, Charlotte and Asheville area's. I aslo looked right over the Border into Rock Hill, SC. My wife and I ALMOST bought a house in Asheville, but that deal fell through.

Sounds nice! My wife and I have gotten interested in Roanoke Island (the "other" North Carolina...), but had a minor case of "sticker shock" so haven't done anything yet.

I also am weak when it comes to electrical stuff. The biggest problem I have is a lack of confidence in how to use a multi-meter.

Sorry, I don't understand. You did not say what you wanted installed, only that it was an electrical thing. So I don't know if the $130 quoted was fair or not. That is less than two hours work at a typical shop rate, so I assume that it was a fair price. If what you are mad at is that they would not schedule the work to be done while you wait, that is normal around here this time of year. If a shop is worth anything as far as quality of work they are booked solid this time of year. So, a shop not doing a small job like that while you wait is not out of the normal this time of year in my opinion.
If it was me I would just do the work yourself. Then, if it is not done to your standards you can yell at the mechanic without having to drive two hours. Another option, instead of riding out, taking the train back, then reversing the procedure to pick it up, would be to truck or trailer the bike to the shop or have someone drive with you to give you a ride for the bikeless leg.
But I like the "do the work yourself" option. If you want a job done right, do it yourself.

Yarvis I agree with you about those tiny striped wires be they Guzzi, Alfa Romeo or Fiat.

So with wiring I doveryai, no proveryai -- trust but verify.

I multimeter each wire to confirm what it is. power, ground, signal etc.

It works for me but I do everything three times. because I'm afraid, I am very afraid with it comes to wiring.

You say it is the wiring that turns you away. I am not fond of Guzzi's wiring either but if it is a Guzzi accessory you are installing it may be plug in. Maybe post an ask on how to install it or do a search. The heated grips (I did mine) and GPS both have plugs. They are a bit hidden but there are instructions on here where they are.

I wish it were a Guzzi accessory but it isn't. It's after market, Skene Design model P3-TS
www.skenedesign.com
I've seen them on BMWs and they are bright!

Last edited:
Yarvis I agree with you about those tiny striped wires be they Guzzi, Alfa Romeo or Fiat.

So with wiring I doveryai, no proveryai -- trust but verify.
D maybe I'm color blind
I multimeter each wire to confirm what it is. power, ground, signal etc.

It works for me but I do everything three times. because I'm afraid, I am very afraid with it comes to wiring.
Same with me, it worries me and maybe I'm a bit color blind?

Sorry, I don't understand. You did not say what you wanted installed, only that it was an electrical thing. So I don't know if the $130 quoted was fair or not. That is less than two hours work at a typical shop rate, so I assume that it was a fair price. If what you are mad at is that they would not schedule the work to be done while you wait, that is normal around here this time of year. If a shop is worth anything as far as quality of work they are booked solid this time of year. So, a shop not doing a small job like that while you wait is not out of the normal this time of year in my opinion.
If it was me I would just do the work yourself. Then, if it is not done to your standards you can yell at the mechanic without having to drive two hours. Another option, instead of riding out, taking the train back, then reversing the procedure to pick it up, would be to truck or trailer the bike to the shop or have someone drive with you to give you a ride for the bikeless leg.
But I like the "do the work yourself" option. If you want a job done right, do it yourself.

The $130 I mentioned is what the LED lights cost. Again, I'm not cheap or frugal in any sense of the words. But to not even be given a rough approximate for labor? It's a bit nutty if I'm going to pay 3-4 hours of labor to have some Hyperlite type lights installed that only cost $130. I'll pick everyone's brains here if I may.

Last edited:

GuzziMoto;
When it was time to do my 12k service on my BMW, I was set to use my selling dealer in NJ. A friend of mine that I met on Chromeheads told me about calling Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD (maybe near you?) just to see pricing. All I can tell you is that I was SHOCKED at the price difference. it wasn't little, it was more like $200 if I remember correctly. It was enough of a price difference to have my battery replaced and STILL have money left over that I used to buy a nice lunch of crab cakes. Bob's couldn't have been more helpful in scheduling me, knowing I was coming from NYC and placing fans on the bike to hurry the cooling down process. Bob loaned me a Vespa or Piaggio scooter while I waited there to have this work done. How is that for customer service? So I can't see why Mr Guru, couldn't do such a small job while I waited. Mind you, he had told me that he was constantly doing GPS' and adding Clearwater and Piaa lighting. He throws away Positaps and Scotchtaps because they are "junk" and all of his work gets hard wired. I guess this is good in SOME applications, but for a couple of LED's, you are going to hard wire? In any event, he did me a favor. Just like the guy I wanted to use in Brooklyn several summers ago. He has customers who call him the "bike Nazi." Like the character from Seinfeld, this guy bases his daily work load in the summer by the weather reports. He actually told me I was supposed to call him first when I made the "mistake" of knocking on his shop doorl. He tells me if the weather is nice, he cuts down his work load so he can go fishing for the day! This is a TRUE story, that guy made me learn to do my own oil changes.

That guy is right about Positaps and Scotchtaps. They are an invitation to corrosion and failure. I won't use them on anything either. When I do find them, they are removed and correct soldered connections with shrinks sleeve are made. I've seen too many of these quick and dirty connectors damage wire and cause failures.

Quick and Dirty - gets you out of trouble (as in gets you Home) but will cause trouble in the long run. Electricity doesn't like kludges either.

I'm really surprised you guys say that these connectors aren't that good. I had some Scotchtaps on my HD when I added another LED license plate not unlike what Todd sells here on this site, and never once did I have an issue or a problem. Oh yes, I installed that one myself and the only issue with that plate was that a bank of LEDs went bad and the plate replaced under warranty.

He actually told me I was supposed to call him first when I made the "mistake" of knocking on his shop doorl. He tells me if the weather is nice, he cuts down his work load so he can go fishing for the day! This is a TRUE story,

I am liking this guy more and more.....

It is great to be in a position in life where one chooses when to work. I think you may have just misinterpreted his motivation to work. It seems that he is more interested in enjoying life. This is a place where we should all strive to be.

I'm really surprised you guys say that these connectors aren't that good. I had some Scotchtaps on my HD when I added another LED license plate not unlike what Todd sells here on this site, and never once did I have an issue or a problem. Oh yes, I installed that one myself and the only issue with that plate was that a bank of LEDs went bad and the plate replaced under warranty.

There are purists in every place you look. REALLY, if one wants to avoid electrical failures the entire wire run should be replaced. Imagine, someone suggesting that cutting, splicing and soldering would be good enough!!

( come on guys........ just a joke! )

Back