• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Own a Guzzi, guess I'm rich?

I am liking this guy more and more.....

It is great to be in a position in life where one chooses when to work. I think you may have just misinterpreted his motivation to work. It seems that he is more interested in enjoying life. This is a place where we should all strive to be.

Who wouldn't want to be in the position to live their life so care free? Unfortunately, I have to wait until I can retire in 64 months. But a business owner who makes his living repairing peoples property taking off because he'd rather go fishing and not work on said property, makes no sense to me.

Who wouldn't want to be in the position to live their life so care free? Unfortunately, I have to wait until I can retire in 64 months. But a business owner who makes his living repairing peoples property taking off because he'd rather go fishing and not work on said property, makes no sense to me.

It makes PERFECT sense to me! It sounds like the "guru" is happy with his income that is derived from his self determined work schedule. What great freedom!

One day I will be old and grumpy enough to say what I want to without regard to impacts it may have on my income. (Wait...... I did that yesterday. Guess I am already old and grumpy).

Anyway, all is well. Just as this guy drove you to learn about oil changes, he is driving you to learn about electrical systems. What an inspiration this guy is! ;-)

The "Guru" is a dealer, the other guy is a supposed independent BMW tech who like you say, seems to be very happy in how he determines his work day. My buddy and others I have spoken to used him and were not happy with his very expensive service and attitude.

Michael,

You should change your profile. It still states "B'more, MD". I thought I read that you moved out west? ;-)
Yeah, I moved to Washington county, Md, out past Hagerstown (Clear Spring is the local Post Office/town). I still own the other house on the south side of Baltimore. But it is much nicer out in the skinny part of Md.
I guess I need to change that. It has been over a year.......

I am not trying to defend anyone, although I too am jealous of this "guru". To be able to put play above work like that is a serious luxury.
And I have known Bob at Bob's BMW since I was a kid (and before he owned a BMW dealer). One of my best friends in high school was his youngest brother. He used to fix BMW's as a private individual out of the garage.
If Bob made the other guy seem expensive, the other guy must have been through the roof.....

When I worked at a shop non original accessory installation was always actual time taken. If he is not familiar with the unit it is hard to gues the time. Jetting was the same. "How much will it cost?" "$40/hour till it is right." (This was many years ago!)

I am not trying to defend anyone, although I too am jealous of this "guru". To be able to put play above work like that is a serious luxury.
And I have known Bob at Bob's BMW since I was a kid (and before he owned a BMW dealer). One of my best friends in high school was his youngest brother. He used to fix BMW's as a private individual out of the garage.
If Bob made the other guy seem expensive, the other guy must have been through the roof.....

Again Michael, the "Guru" is a MG dealer and I feel he was looking to bleed me for three or more hours of labor and definitely put me out by dropping the bike off and returning another day to pick up. Mind you, I am NOT complaining about riding out ANYPLACE. That's why we have these toys to ride them and find adventure. The other guy I spoke of is an indy BMW tech who is very, very expensive. He takes no plastic whatsoever and bases his work load in the warmer months by the weather so if he sees fit, goes fishing instead of wrenching. Again, there is NOTHING wrong with this, except if you want to wrench on bikes and want to have a following of loyal customers, you simply cannot over charge the customers you do take in to cover for the days you don't have customers because you want to go fishing. I just talked to a guy on my BMW site and he told me that the guy charged him $240, no more than two weeks ago, for an oil change and to replace two spark plugs and that the bike is now idling strange. He told me he complained the bike is now running poorly and that Mr Fisherman claims he had the bike running like a top. And yes, I have NO reasons but the truth to say this, but Bobs prices at the time (my BMW is a 2001) which had to be either late 2002 or 2003, were WAY cheaper than what I was quoted by my selling dealer. Bobs was also very accomodating, having me coming in before they opened and taking the bike in and waiting until she was cool enough to adjust the valves and such.

When I worked at a shop non original accessory installation was always actual time taken. If he is not familiar with the unit it is hard to gues the time. Jetting was the same. "How much will it cost?" "$40/hour till it is right." (This was many years ago!)

You know, I sent him the link to the LED light kit that I placed in this thread. He took a few minutes, i'm sure to look at it and I'm sure saw the full blown wiring installation pics that are also on the home page. Since I'm not 100% with the MG wiring, how its run and such, I figured it should be a no brainer to a guy of his caliber who told me in a previous email that he does plenty of farkle installations. Had he given me an answer of, "i'm not sure how long this may take, but I charge by the hour for installs of light kits and my labor is $90 per (or whatever his actual labor charge is, because he never did tell me) and from what I see, this should take no more than two hours." I wouldn't have even started this thread. I would have simply said to myself, OK, this guy wants to charge me almost $200 to install a $130 LED light kit that the owner and designer of the company says should take no more than an hour to install, do I feel he sold me enough to spend almost $200 on his skill set?. Well I MIGHT have given him the business, but when he told me to drop the bike, find my way back home and wait for a call to return, yes, it annoyed me and showed me he was looking to bleed me. But oh yes, I'm a Guzzi owner, I'm rich I forgot. Guys, I want to thank you all for the tips and the heartfelt words. As you can see, I'm not using any names or locations. I'm not here to bash anyone by name. I have used shops in the past who have treated me well and others not so well and vice versa. Lets end this thread by simply saying, be fair, consistent and honest. I don't want my time wasted anymore than anyone else does. I'm glad I have gotten offers of help from this site, I hope to make many new Guzzi buddies here and on other forums. Moderators, you may close this thread if you see fit. Thanks again all!

That guy is right about Positaps and Scotchtaps. They are an invitation to corrosion and failure. I won't use them on anything either. When I do find them, they are removed and correct soldered connections with shrinks sleeve are made. I've seen too many of these quick and dirty connectors damage wire and cause failures.

Although I can handle a soldering (pronounced as it sounds, not soddering as my US friends say; that's another pastime!) iron, I'm not convinced that it is necessarily the ideal connection, especially on a vibrating motorcycle.

I think it was the US army who determined the most reliable connection is the IDC (insulation displacement connection) followed closely by the crimp connection. Wire wrap is even ahead of soldering for reliability. Why? Dry joints are the most common problem, which can lead to a disconnect eventually.

With enough licence, you could consider a Positap a crimp connection, and a Scotchtap an IDC one. My personal experience does not support the Scotchtap as a good connection, but the Positap I've had no problems with.

But for just connecting two wires together, I too use a soldering joint, covered with heatshrink. Just watch out for those dry joints.

A bit of a rave I know, but this is the 24-7 Lounge.

Strange, then why then did I go through a soldering class when taking the HAWK electronics course for the US army. It was a required course for writing technical manuals on missile systems. Any just push on or through connector can develop corrosion which can change the electronic properties of the circuit. Granted a missile only has to fly once, but it has to fly when it is needed, and hit the intended target.

John there's a long way between DIY and MIL Spec performance - one had properly trained people...

I wish it were a Guzzi accessory but it isn't. It's after market, Skene Design model P3-TS
www.skenedesign.com
I've seen them on BMWs and they are bright!
I have those tail lights on my '04 BMW R1200 CLC. I don't know if they have saved me from being hit from behind yet, but it's nice to know they are back there. Whoever installed them did a cute job of braiding the three wires going into the light. I would not have wanted to pay anyone's hourly shop rate to do THAT.

Of course since I have a BMW and a Moto Guzzi, I must be rich too. NOT!

I have those tail lights on my '04 BMW R1200 CLC. I don't know if they have saved me from being hit from behind yet, but it's nice to know they are back there. Whoever installed them did a cute job of braiding the three wires going into the light. I would not have wanted to pay anyone's hourly shop rate to do THAT.

Of course since I have a BMW and a Moto Guzzi, I must be rich too. NOT!

I own a BMW R1200c as well and if I can't use them on my new MG, they'll gladly go on the Beemer. The wiring is a lot easier to determine and find. Oh yes, I must be rich!

I wish it were a Guzzi accessory but it isn't. It's after market, Skene Design model P3-TS
www.skenedesign.com
I've seen them on BMWs and they are bright!

I just installed three sets of Skene lights on my Stelvio - ambers in front on fender bolt mounts and two sets of reds in the rear, one on the license plate and the other on the side case racks. These things are incredibly bright!

Wiring the rears was very easy - you can use the existing tail and brake wiring (I took + and - from my underseat fuse block). Posi-taps are not the same as scotchlock connectors - I'll never use scotchlock but posi-taps and posi-locks have never failed me (though I tend to solder most connections).

The Skene diagram is very descriptive - email Jerry if you have questions, he's responsive.

I hope you get these wired up yourself.

Tom

I just installed three sets of Skene lights on my Stelvio - ambers in front on fender bolt mounts and two sets of reds in the rear, one on the license plate and the other on the side case racks. These things are incredibly bright!

Wiring the rears was very easy - you can use the existing tail and brake wiring (I took + and - from my underseat fuse block). Posi-taps are not the same as scotchlock connectors - I'll never use scotchlock but posi-taps and posi-locks have never failed me (though I tend to solder most connections).

The Skene diagram is very descriptive - email Jerry if you have questions, he's responsive.

I hope you get these wired up yourself.

Tom
Thanks Tom for your input! Can you share some pics? Did it take you 4 hours to install?

Back