• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tell Us About Your Mods

...Can you by any chance instruct or help me with installing the GPS holder and the TomTom Rider? I think the mount will be a piece of cake.
Yes, the mount is easy. Instructions are in the package.

Wiring is easy too, if you've got the latest-generation TomTom Rider. The one with Tyre route planning, the "winding roads" option and free lifetime maps. The Cal 1400 is prewired for that one.

The plug is zip tied to the frame under the left side of the fuel tank. Remove the black plastic that covers the cables and wires where they emerge from under the tank. Use a tool -- a hook, thin screwdriver or needle nose pliers -- to pull the cable out. Connect to your TomTom and replace the black plastic cable cover.

Your TomTom will power on and off with the ignition.

Yes, the mount is easy. Instructions are in the package.

Wiring is easy too, if you've got the latest-generation TomTom Rider. The one with Tyre route planning, the "winding roads" option and free lifetime maps. The Cal 1400 is prewired for that one.

The plug is zip tied to the frame under the left side of the fuel tank. Remove the black plastic that covers the cables and wires where they emerge from under the tank. Use a tool -- a hook, thin screwdriver or needle nose pliers -- to pull the cable out. Connect to your TomTom and replace the black plastic cable cover.

Your TomTom will power on and off with the ignition.

You are the man!!! Thanks LR.

Do you remember the part number for the handguards you have installed?
National Cycle kit N5502 (for certain Hondas). Easy installation. Mounts under the mirror stalks. Makes the riide a lot more comfortable, especially in cold wet weather. A "must" if you have heated grips.

You are the man!!! Thanks LR.

Well LR, on the left side of my custom there is nothing that remotely resembles what you say to look for. I'm now trying to remove the left side tank cover which doesn't seem to want to come off. The TomTom didn't come with instructions either lol. I'm not kidding. And I got the newest version. Could you perchance take a photo? Sorry man, you've been a Godsend so far, can you help again?

Mike

...I'm now trying to remove the left side tank cover which doesn't seem to want to come off...
No, no, NO! Do not keep pulling on the side cover. There is a bolt under the eagle emblem. That eagle is stuck to the side cover with very thin double sided tape. Difficult to remove; almost impossible to reattach.

Here are two photos. The first shows the black plastic cover you have to remove to get to the cable. Yours won't have that toggle switch unless you have installed Moto Guzzi driving lights.

The second shows the TomTom on the bracket. Mine has the TomTom accessory anti-theft plate on the back. You may not have that.

I hope this helps...
Image Image

Hey LR. Fortunately I couldn't remove the tank cover, I loosened the two screws and was going nuts trying to figure out why it wouldn't come off lol.

So if I'm looking at the first photo in the right way, the black plastic cover you refer to is below the fog light switch? I've ordered the lights but they haven't come in yet.
No, no, NO! Do not keep pulling on the side cover. There is a bolt under the eagle emblem. That eagle is stuck to the side cover with very thin double sided tape. Difficult to remove; almost impossible to reattach.

Here are two photos. The first shows the black plastic cover you have to remove to get to the cable. Yours won't have that toggle switch unless you have installed Moto Guzzi driving lights.

The second shows the TomTom on the bracket. Mine has the TomTom accessory anti-theft plate on the back. You may not have that.

I hope this helps...
View attachment 8748 View attachment 8749

Hey LR. Fortunately I couldn't remove the tank cover.So if I see this the right way, the black plastic cowl is what the fog light switch is attached to? The black plastic cover you refer to is below the fog light switch? I've ordered the fog lights but they haven't come yet.

Thank you

Hey LR. Fortunately I couldn't remove the tank cover, I loosened the two screws and was going nuts trying to figure out why it wouldn't come off lol.

So if I'm looking at the first photo in the right way, the black plastic cover you refer to is below the fog light switch? I've ordered the lights but they haven't come in yet.

Hey LR. Fortunately I couldn't remove the tank cover.So if I see this the right way, the black plastic cowl is what the fog light switch is attached to? The black plastic cover you refer to is below the fog light switch? I've ordered the fog lights but they haven't come yet.

Thank you

I must be high!! Got it. Thank you

Finally figured out how to send a photo. Here are two; one shows the connector for the fog lights, the other I hope is the wires. It seems it takes quite a bit of pulling? Is that right? I couldn't have done any of this without your help. I'm going to send another pic immediately.

Attachments

• 20150622_182737.jpg
    20150622_182737.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Finally figured out how to send a photo. Here are two; one shows the connector for the fog lights, the other I hope is the wires. It seems it takes quite a bit of pulling? Is that right? I couldn't have done any of this without your help. I'm going to send another pic immediately.

Here it is. 20150622 182742

Forgot to say; the TomTom has two bare wires on one end, the other plugs into the device. Am I supposed to splice them into the harness, or put connectors on them and plug them in directly to the wiring you pointed out?

Forgot to say; the TomTom has two bare wires on one end, the other plugs into the device. Am I supposed to splice them into the harness, or put connectors on them and plug them in directly to the wiring you pointed out?
No splicing required. The cable you extracted from under your tank has a fitting that plugs directly into the TomTom "cradle" that holds the GPS. I think those bare wires you mention are for installing on a bike that is not prewired like your Cal 1400.

Attach cradle to Moto Guzzi GPS bracket. Attach that bracket to your left handlebar riser using bolts supplied with the bracket. Plug cable into the back of the cradle. Snap TomTom Rider into cradle and you're done. The TomTom will take you through a set-up routine (choose language etc.) the first time you power up.

Don't forget to register your Rider at TomTom's web site so you can download free lifetime map updates. Requires connecting the Rider to your computer via a USB cable.

No splicing required. The cable you extracted from under your tank has a fitting that plugs directly into the TomTom "cradle" that holds the GPS. I think those bare wires you mention are for installing on a bike that is not prewired like your Cal 1400.

Attach cradle to Moto Guzzi GPS bracket. Attach that bracket to your left handlebar riser using bolts supplied with the bracket. Plug cable into the back of the cradle. Snap TomTom Rider into cradle and you're done. The TomTom will take you through a set-up routine (choose language etc.) the first time you power up.

Don't forget to register your Rider at TomTom's web site so you can download free lifetime map updates. Requires connecting the Rider to your computer via a USB cable.

The cable that came with the device has a fitting which goes into the cradle, the other end is bare which has to be hard wired to the electrical system, presumably under the tank as you've mentioned.

I haven't extracted that cable from under the tank, the photo shows what's there before any extraction. It doesn't really give. I pulled on it yesterday and it only moved about an inch or two. How far does it have to be pulled out before I see the fitting? You seem to be saying there are two fittings, now I'm really confused. I just plugged the one fitting into the cradle, now I have two bare wires on the other end.

Thank you

...I haven't extracted that cable from under the tank, the photo shows what's there before any extraction. It doesn't really give. I pulled on it yesterday and it only moved about an inch or two. How far does it have to be pulled out before I see the fitting? You seem to be saying there are two fittings, now I'm really confused.u
Sorry for the confusion.

First, unplug the cable with the two bare wires. You don't need it.

The portion of the bike's wiring harness that plugs into the TomTom cradle is zip tied to the frame rail under the left tank panel. Now that you've removed the black plastic shroud that hides all the cables, you should be able to see the GPS cable. Turn the handlebars full right so you can look straight down the frame rail. The GPS cable is bunched up and zip tied to that frame rail.

I used a hook to pull it loose. It did not want to budge at first, but a few gentle tugs got one loop of cable loose, then the rest was easy to pull out. The cable is just long enough to plug into the cradle when attached to the mount.

You can see the GPS cable in the pictures I sent previously. It emerges from behind the black plastic shroud, snakes above the top triple clamp and plugs into the cradle.

Sorry for the confusion.

First, unplug the cable with the two bare wires. You don't need it.

The portion of the bike's wiring harness that plugs into the TomTom cradle is zip tied to the frame rail under the left tank panel. Now that you've removed the black plastic shroud that hides all the cables, you should be able to see the GPS cable. Turn the handlebars full right so you can look straight down the frame rail. The GPS cable is bunched up and zip tied to that frame rail.

I used a hook to pull it loose. It did not want to budge at first, but a few gentle tugs got one loop of cable loose, then the rest was easy to pull out. The cable is just long enough to plug into the cradle when attached to the mount.

You can see the GPS cable in the pictures I sent previously. It emerges from behind the black plastic shroud, snakes above the top triple clamp and plugs into the cradle.

What color is it? There was a bunch of wires with electrical tape around them, is that it? I am assuming the male end of the cable is loose, is that correct? This is driving me nuts lol. Thanks. Now, you say to look straight down the frame rail, this view is not under the tank but down the left side of the bike/front rail. Correct?

What color is it? ...electrical tape around them, is that it? ...male end of the cable is loose, is that correct? ...look straight down the frame rail, this view is not under the tank but down the left side of the bike/front rail?
It is a couple of wires inside black shrink wrap. Not taped. Male connector at the end. Zip tied to the horizontal frame rail under the left side fuel tank cover. A couple of inches inside from the front of that tank cover.

It is a couple of wires inside black shrink wrap. Not taped. Male connector at the end. Zip tied to the horizontal frame rail under the left side fuel tank cover. A couple of inches inside from the front of that tank cover.

I'm about to give up LR. There's nothing there except for the wide shrink wrapped wires as you have in your photo, and as I have in mine. It doesn't give. It pulls out about and inch or so and then stops. I looked with a flashlight and couldn't see anything other than what I've already said. Thank you for all your assistance. I think I'm going to connect it directly to the battery until I can find someone who can show me in real time exactly where it is.

Congratulations! Your persistence pays off. Please take a photo and post it so future Mikes will know what they're looking for.

I will, and thanks again. Now, I've seen the link for the hepco and becker mods to the shocks. I read it and don't understand it. Could you explain it to me? I'm waiting for my top box and then I'll post the pic. Got plenty of things I want to do to this bike.

Back