• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 shift pedal hitting exhaust

Tim Brehmer

Just got it firing!
Hello,

New owner of a MG and new to these forums. Though I have been reading them since before purchasing my bike this is my first time posting.

I left work today and noticed my bike wasn't shifting within a block. I was on a slow side street pulled over and noticed my clutch pedal was loose and the end of it would wiggle anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to the left and right. I didnt have any allen wrenches so I tightened it down with my hands and did so a couple more times until I got home.

I figured because my bike only has about 430 miles on it that it may have just come loose as I have heard the MG bikes tend to vibrate a bit more. So I tightened it up when I got home but upon further inspection I noticed that when fully pressed the clutch is actually hitting/rubbing up against the exhaust. This cant be normal right? Is anyone else having or have had this problem? Very surprised I haven't felt it or noticed it until now. I have attached some pictures to the post to try and show what I mean.

IMG 1842 IMG 1840 IMG 1839

Hello,

New owner of a MG and new to these forums. Though I have been reading them since before purchasing my bike this is my first time posting.

I left work today and noticed my bike wasn't shifting within a block. I was on a slow side street pulled over and noticed my clutch pedal was loose and the end of it would wiggle anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to the left and right. I didnt have any allen wrenches so I tightened it down with my hands and did so a couple more times until I got home.

I figured because my bike only has about 430 miles on it that it may have just come loose as I have heard the MG bikes tend to vibrate a bit more. So I tightened it up when I got home but upon further inspection I noticed that when fully pressed the clutch is actually hitting/rubbing up against the exhaust. This cant be normal right? Is anyone else having or have had this problem? Very surprised I haven't felt it or noticed it until now. I have attached some pictures to the post to try and show what I mean.

View attachment 8801 View attachment 8802 View attachment 8803
You are completely correct about everything except the name: it's the shift pedal, of course, not the clutch pedal. It shouldn't be contacting the exhaust pipe. Determine what's loose, adjust it, and tighten it to spec. Workshop manuals are available on line, or someone here (or on another popular Moto Guzzi forum) will post more specific instructions. Good riding!

Thanks for your reply. As you can probably tell I am still learning the ins and outs. I will do some research on what it could be and if nothing else the mechanic is a couple blocks from my office.

Tim, almost every V7 I've seen at my shop has this issue. I don't know if it's a sloppy clearance from the factory or an oversight, my guess is likely both. There is quite a bit of play/movement on the shift shaft that passes through the frame, supposedly clearanced by a "spring wave-washer." There's too much play in it. I recommend have your mechanic bend the shift arm out enough the clear the exhaust. It's what I've done to all of them, and never any issues from there. If the bike's had even the slightest tip over on that side, it would of course compound the problem. Hope that helps some.

I had that same issue and adjusted my shift linkage raising the shift lever up a bit to clear the pipe. I also found that the exhaust system can be loosen up and completely moved over to the right a tiny bit which will clear that shifter. If you loosen up both header pipes at the head and then loosen up both clamps on the cross over pipe you can move the entire system over to the right to clear that shifter.

Mine too. Loosen up the exhaust header at the head and where it connects to the muffler. Move it away from the shift LEVER until it clears, but no so much that it contacts the sidestand bolt. I put a business card between the header pipe and sidestand bolt when making the adjustment. Retighten the header from the top first. Keep the card there until it's all tight.

The gear lever has about 15mm clearance on my 2015 registered Stone (ie a late Mk I model) - and 10mm clearance for the brake pedal.
In the photo you sent the gear lever is angled to the exhaust when it should be parallel and the footrest end looks like it is marked. If so, then the bike has been dropped (check the silencer end, handle bar end and cylinder that might also have marks for confirmation).
If the bike was like that when you bought it then take it back!
AndyB

Someone mention that clearance with the side stand bolt. I forgot to mention that but you need to move things to the right with the exhaust system loosen up and you need to balance clearance between the shifter and also that bolt for the side stand. If you take the bike back tot he shop that is all they will end up doing to make that shifter clear. It's more of an alignment issue with the exhaust system then anything else. They have everything align with very little clearance on all of those parts and at the factory they just are not paying enough attention when they put these things together. I don't think the Italian workmanship is up to snuff with the Japanese companies. At least I have found that the case with my bike. I've had to adjust a few things on this bike that was something caused from lack of attention to detail when the bike was assembled.

Someone mention that clearance with the side stand bolt. I forgot to mention that but you need to move things to the right with the exhaust system loosen up and you need to balance clearance between the shifter and also that bolt for the side stand. If you take the bike back tot he shop that is all they will end up doing to make that shifter clear. It's more of an alignment issue with the exhaust system then anything else. They have everything align with very little clearance on all of those parts and at the factory they just are not paying enough attention when they put these things together. I don't think the Italian workmanship is up to snuff with the Japanese companies. At least I have found that the case with my bike. I've had to adjust a few things on this bike that was something caused from lack of attention to detail when the bike was assembled.
Things can also be pushed around when the bike is crated for shipping and uncrated at the dealer. So, it hasn't necessarily been dropped. But, I would still carefully examine the shift pedal to make sure it's not bent.

With the play in the shift lever, I needed to bend the lever a bit when I installed the GT-Rx 2>1 to avoid rubbing. In some ways it put my foot in a more comfortable position when shifting.

I removed the lever, placed it in between two short chunks of 2"x4" and smacked with a hammer a few times.

Mine too. Loosen up the exhaust header at the head and where it connects to the muffler. Move it away from the shift LEVER until it clears, but no so much that it contacts the sidestand bolt. I put a business card between the header pipe and sidestand bolt when making the adjustment. Retighten the header from the top first. Keep the card there until it's all tight.

Forgot to mention, also loosen the crossover clamps when making header adjustment.

Today I had a good look at the shift lever and header pipe on my '16 Stone. There's at least one whole inch clearance between them. So, something is seriously wrong with the OP's lever/header positioning.

Today I had a good look at the shift lever and header pipe on my '16 Stone. There's at least one whole inch clearance between them. So, something is seriously wrong with the OP's lever/header positioning.
Maybe they improved that spacing on your 16?

I didn't notice the year the OP is talking about.

Lot of change with the motor moved forward and down...etc. I'm sure the header pipes are a different length, probably longer on the 16. SO that would mean the bend is different which dictates how that header hugs that frame.

The header spacing is adjustable anyway, it can be moved left or right.

Yes, the '16 has at least one additional inch outwards on the peg assembly. The lower frame rails are completely different, as is the kick stand mount/location. Pics from above:

'09-15:

'16:

That is what I expected from looking at those pictures. So that is going to change things for the companies that build header systems.

The '16 exhaust system is completely different, and the headers closer to the ground because the motor is too. I just finished my new full system and muffler offerings yesterday. I'll have them online soon:

Back