• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California 1400 Reliabilty Opinions?

Kirk: I rode my previous bike [before buying my Tbird,a lighter machine],a 99RSV, for 11 years and 200,000 miles ,covering some 750 mile days,plus,and know exactly what ya mean about comfort.And it too had factory cruise control.Maybe I'm a little apprehensive about the California,probably because I'm trying to compare it to my RSV,I don't know,but the problems with my RSV were minimal and I was able to identify and correct em myself as I have learned NOT TO TRUST these stealers.But I do understand what you gentlemen are saying,and I WILL continue to keep an OPEN MIND as I read and learn more about the 1400 Tourer as it has,infact,caught my eye.And I thank you gentlemen for your responses and information regarding the 1400 Tourer. Dave!!!

Hello,

From what I can gleem...Some of the initial issues with the 1400 have been addressed and corrected.
I have spoke to a few folks that purchased their bikes after 1st production runs and have not experienced the "teething"
issue of some of original production run bikes.

Grips and levers...I know what MG was trying to do. Make the grips look and feel like HD controls. Sorry...FAIL. After seven years on a sport tourer, the huge clunky grip (37mm) and the long reach brake and clutch levers were a sad state of affairs. If you can palm a basketball, these might just be big enough for you. I did a little research and found that the 32mm grips on the Aprilia Capanord and the Guzzi Griso fit with no mods, just interchange and go. Those and a set of PAZZO adjustable levers and the bike now feels perfect for me. That said I don't know if I have ever heard anyone else complain about them.

Kirk

Are those heated grips? Smaller diameter would be nice.

Even when you adjust them all the way in? You can find the Pazzo's for $$$$, or I have a set of these in stock; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-cnc-vario-adjustable-levers/

Todd is correct. Pazzo is just one of the manufacturers that have replacements for the Cali1400. GuzziTech's version would no doubt be a worthy replacement.
Just in the interest of full disclosure, the levers are exactly the same part numbers as those for an Aprilia Shiver 750. Not all MFG's list the 1400...

Are those heated grips? Smaller diameter would be nice.
They are not. I opted to not have those seeing that I would probably use them about 4 days a year living in TX. I understand that the optional Cali1400 heated grips are the same 32mm smaller diameter as the Capanord/Griso grips.
Kirk

I too have many concerns about the California,[which is the reason I came on board here BEFORE investing in one] the biggest concern being about the bucking I got out of several different California's I road tested and the stealers telling me that "THEY ALL DO IT" !! One of the gentlemen on here was gracious enough to call me [and again,I thank you for the call sir] to assure me that they all don't run like that and the stealer I was dealing with didn't know what he was talking about nor did he care about correcting that condition.But now,the more I read,the more negative things I'm reading about these machines.It almost seems that the negatives are out weighing the positives,which unfortunately,is turning me away from the California.But I will continue reading and keep an open mind as I go.So please carry on gentlemen as I am learning,and thank you for putting up with a dummy like me!! Dave!!!
Dave,
I bought my Dec, '13 and have about 6,200 miles on it. I'm not a very experienced rider (bought my first bike 6 months before the Cali and I have 6,800 miles on my first bike}. I'm very happy with my Guzzi. I haven't noticed water in the bags, but I'll check after the next detail (I did by the liners for the bags because I didn't like the look of the sharp edges on the inside bottom). I think the cruise control wasn't well thought out and I found it very distracting to try and get it set to the speed I wanted (the button is also hard to activate with gloves on). I'm acquainted with a very experienced motorcycle journalist who did a test of the Cali. At lunch, I told him that I had noticed that all the motorcycle reviews that I had read covering any bike were generally positive. I then asked him what he really thought of it. All the heads at the table turned toward him and he said that it was the least objectionable big bike that he has ridden (I don't think he is a fan of big bikes). I commented that I thought that it handled at least as well as my other bike that weighs 200 lbs less. Again, everyone turned his way and he said that it was a good handling bike. I've always been a sucker for distinction over practicality, but I think this is a nice bike!

I've been mounted on two wheels now for 53 consecutive years,traveling close to,if not more than,1,000,000 miles,not to mention, thru all weather conditions,and I mean "ALL" weather conditions.I do ALL my own work,and have driven just about all of the motorcycle brands made,[except the Guzzi] usually due to a problem an owner is having with it and is looking for an opinion on what the problem could be with said machine.I can usually spot a problem pretty quickly as experience is a great teacher.So naturally, I spotted the bucking problem on the three Guzzi's I test drove,immediately.But when the salesman tried to tell me they all do that that,I kinda doubted that he knew what he was talking about,or, this was,infact, a characteristic on this machine.

But after reading thru the treads on here,and speaking with the other gentleman that was gracious enough to call me,I now know that the salesman was full of sh** and there was definitely,something wrong with those three machines,which I suspect had to do with the way they were set up after being uncrated.So I think it's safe to say that the guys at the dealership [or the owner] didn't wanna deal with the problem until the bike came in for its' first service,[after its' sold]which,naturally,the new owner would get charged for,and without the use of vasolene. lol So needless to say "IF" I buy one of these machines,it will NOT be from this STEALER,cause that's exactly what he is.But I will keep an open mind as I'm reading and learning more and more about this machine.And again,I thank you gentlemen for sharing your information and putting up with a dummy like me.Dave!!!

I've been mounted on two wheels now for 53 consecutive years,traveling close to,if not more than,1,000,000 miles,not to mention, thru all weather conditions,and I mean "ALL" weather conditions.I do ALL my own work,and have driven just about all of the motorcycle brands made,[except the Guzzi] usually due to a problem an owner is having with it and is looking for an opinion on what the problem could be with said machine.I can usually spot a problem pretty quickly as experience is a great teacher.So naturally, I spotted the bucking problem on the three Guzzi's I test drove,immediately.But when the salesman tried to tell me they all do that that,I kinda doubted that he knew what he was talking about,or, this was,infact, a characteristic on this machine.

But after reading thru the treads on here,and speaking with the other gentleman that was gracious enough to call me,I now know that the salesman was full of sh** and there was definitely,something wrong with those three machines,which I suspect had to do with the way they were set up after being uncrated.So I think it's safe to say that the guys at the dealership [or the owner] didn't wanna deal with the problem until the bike came in for its' first service,[after its' sold]which,naturally,the new owner would get charged for,and without the use of vasolene. lol So needless to say "IF" I buy one of these machines,it will NOT be from this STEALER,cause that's exactly what he is.But I will keep an open mind as I'm reading and learning more and more about this machine.And again,I thank you gentlemen for sharing your information and putting up with a dummy like me.Dave!!!

Dave, If you were closer than 3,000 miles from me, I'd let you ride mine to see what you thought. I've read about this bike being "iffy" at low speeds, but as new a rider as I am, I think it is fine.

My 2013 Triumph America, on the other hand, has a dead spot when rolling on the throttle from the off stop. At odd times it will either die, abruptly rocket forward or cough and then jump forward. The dealer's answer is "use more clutch"--don't have to on the Guzzi. My salesman heard it once as I was coming into their parking lot and said, "THAT's not right!" The former service manager there suggested I take it to a well known (to him at least) Triumph tuner some 250 miles south of me. Now that it is out of warranty, I'm going to take it to someone.

Since I'm NOT familar with the America,all I can tell ya without actually looking at and or driving it is if it's carbureted,then the problem is either a lean condition with one or both carbs,or,your timing is late.If it's injected,then one of the sensors is probably bad or out of wack.And if it is injected,which I believe it is,then it has the OBDII system which just about everything built in the motor vehicle industry today uses,and has an ALDL connector someplace on the bike [usually under the left side cover] which can be plugged into a diagnostic [scan]tool to monitor the condition of each sensor and see if it's working like it's supposed to.

Don: I did some checking today and your America is computer controlled and uses the same OBDII system that other bikes,cars,and trucks use.And I suspect the ALDL [assembly line diagnostic link] connector plug ,or port as it's sometimes called,is located under the left side cover just like the one on my Tbird is. "IF" you can find a reputable dealer,they can plug into that port to test and check the system for any problems and or down load any updates which may or may not correct the problems you have.

Last edited:
Don: I did some checking today and your America is computer controlled and uses the same OBDII system that other bikes,cars,and trucks use.And I suspect the ALDL [assembly line diagnostic link] connector plug ,or port as it's sometimes called,is located under the left side cover just like the one on my Tbird is. "IF" you can find a reputable dealer,they can plug into that port to test and check the system for any problems and or down load any updates which may or may not correct the problems you have.

Dave, My dealer is mainly a Harley dealer and doesn't seem to know much about the other brands they sell. I was complaining early on about engine response and they found the throttle bodies weren't in sync. They billed me for the adjustment which I though was odd as it was still under warranty. They think the goofy throttle response from off stop is normal. What's OBDII? I'm new to motorcycle jargon.

I was complaining early on about engine response and they found the throttle bodies weren't in sync. They billed me for the adjustment which I though was odd as it was still under warranty.

Little Don,

I think that you have been taken advantage of......

Moto-Guzzi-California-1400-Throttle-Body.jpg

The California 1400 has ONE THROTTLE BODY. ONE throttle body can't be synchronized.

Maybe you should go back to the dealer and ask how they performed the throttle body synchronization. Then, when they lie to you, find another dealer.

I have read on this forum that there may be an update to the software used on the California 1400 that will help smooth out the choppy throttle response. Someone else here may chime in and provide further information on that update.

OBDII is On Board Diagnostics,second generation.It is used on EVERY motor vehicle [cars,trucks,motorcycles] sold in USA,as required by the EPA.In other words,your bike uses the same system that your car and truck does and they all use the same ALDL [assembly line diagnostic link] connector plug located under the lower left under side of the dash in the cars and trucks,and is usually located behind the left side cover on the motorcycles.I don't know if it's under the left side cover on the Guzzi because I haven't looked that close at that machine.But it is someplace on that machine.And it's used for diagnosing problems with the computer controls[faulty or lazy sensors].

Little Don,

I think that you have been taken advantage of......

Moto-Guzzi-California-1400-Throttle-Body.jpg

The California 1400 has ONE THROTTLE BODY. ONE throttle body can't be synchronized.

Maybe you should go back to the dealer and ask how they performed the throttle body synchronization. Then, when they lie to you, find another dealer.

I have read on this forum that there may be an update to the software used on the California 1400 that will help smooth out the choppy throttle response. Someone else here may chime in and provide further information on that update.

Sorry Roadventure, I was unclear. Both Davetac and I also have Triumphs and were discussing my Triumph America. However, I felt taken advantage of anyway. Don

I don't know if it's under the left side cover on the Guzzi because I haven't looked that close at that machine. But it is someplace on that machine.
Guzzi uses a small four position plug, and it's under the battery cover on the 1400. This is not a standard OBDII plug, and the software used is generally Piaggio proprietary and dealer only (called PADS), and/or commercially available (I generally offer one by TechnoResearch - covered >HERE< - and they are set to release their new version soon called Alaris w/bluetooth). There is also a few home-brewed versions surfacing as well.

I can't comment about the "four prong plug" you mentioned because I haven't looked at one of these machines close enough yet? But I suspect it's for downloading updates into the computer or for checking something other then the OBDII system which it is required to have if it's sold in this country.So I don't know and will have to do some checking and get back to ya on that.

Last edited:
So I don't know and will have to do some checking and get back to ya on that.
No need. I know them well (for 15+ years now), so no need to get back to me personally. There's an OBD to 4-position adapter for Fiat that fits. If you read what I wrote, what I'm trying to tell you is that the communication is proprietary via PADS... but there are few other rare options at the moment.

Back