• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bypassing the startup Fob

dancoll

Just got it firing!
Has anyone had the occasion or opportunity to use the startup code on the Cali, hence bypassing the use of the Fob?
I have been trying to test the startup in case the Fob battery dies or malfunctions. Don't want to be stuck somewhere unable to start the bike. I have looked at the documentation that came with the security system and for the life of me can not understand how to enter the 5 digit code. Does anyone have insight as to the steps to perform, (In plain English). Thanks for any help!

Dan, I disarmed my FOB last year, The procedure is rather intricate and i did take my a few tries to get it. I did find it was easier if someone else was reading the direction to me as i performed the steps.

1. Start the engine, then shut it off. Set the manual alarm by pushing the key fob button within a few seconds of shut down. The system is now fully armed.
2. Immediately after arming it (the book says within 10 seconds) turn the key on, the alarm will beep once.
3. Push the arming button on the key fob 4 times. The bike will make a sound you never heard before (the book calls it a Boop) 4 times. This confirms that you did it right. If you don't hear 4 Boops, start over again.
4. Turn the key Off. The system is now ready for reprogramming.
5. Turn the key on then off 7 times and then one more time ON (a total of 8 turn-ons). The LED on the side panel (the "real" alarm indicator) should be on.
6. Press the key fob arming button twice. You should hear the weird Boop noise again, confirming the action.
7. Turn the ignition Off and then press the key fob button one last time to exit reprogramming mode.

The red blinker on the dash will continue to blink (it's a decoy and has nothing to do with the actual alarm system), but the Real alarm LED, on the front of the left side panel, will remain off. The alarm will now NOT automatically set. However, if you want to set the full alarm, just use the button.

Wha????????

Are you all talking about a bike WITHOUT THE OPTIONAL SECURITY SYSTEM?

Whenever I start my bike the dash shows "CODE", but then is goes away after a few seconds. I don't recall reading anything in the owner's manual about setting a security code or a key FOB.

Wha????????

Are you all talking about a bike WITHOUT THE OPTIONAL SECURITY SYSTEM?

Whenever I start my bike the dash shows "CODE", but then is goes away after a few seconds. I don't recall reading anything in the owner's manual about setting a security code or a key FOB.

It is probably wanting you to enter a user code. That should be covered in the owners manual. I did find the instructions to change the code, but not how to enter the initial code. You may have to check with a dealer, if they know.

I should have clarified my question with some more details. I typically start my bike with the key and Fob, (provides short beep) then start engine. My question is, what if the Fob battery dies or falls off the key ring(for whatever reason). Now, I stuck on some remote road and need to start my bike (no Fob) describe the process of entering the 5 digit code to get the bike started.
I hope this helps

The 'bypass plug' is supplied with each bike. It has a small loop of wire out the back. It could be in the tool roll. I didn't trust the fob unit. The 'CODE' request that appears in the display is ignored when the bypass plug is installed. Installation simply requires removing the left side cover, unplugging the alarm unit and installing the bypass plug.

Stephen

The 'bypass plug' is supplied with each bike. It has a small loop of wire out the back. It could be in the tool roll. I didn't trust the fob unit. The 'CODE' request that appears in the display is ignored when the bypass plug is installed. Installation simply requires removing the left side cover, unplugging the alarm unit and installing the bypass plug.

Stephen

Okay. I get it. But I still have a question.

What is this "FOB" that people speak of? Why do I not have one?

And, there is an alarm unit under the left side cover? Is this standard equipment on ALL CALIFORNIA 1400 MODELS?

I get the feeling that someone is leaving out the fact that they may have the OPTIONAL ACCESSORY MG ALARM installed. Could this be so?

I am not sure why one would want to completely bypass the FOB. When you can have the best of both by inputting the sequence that will disable the FOB however one can still arm the alarm if needed be. I have disabled the FOB and can still use the FOB to turn on the alarm when on the road parking in areas that are not totally trust-worthy.

Australian 1400s come with the MG Alarm standard. Well, they did in 2013 anyway.

Stephen

I assumed the "alarm" that mine came with was like my V-rod alarm in that the the lights would flash and the ignition will disable but the siren was an option you had to install. Where would the siren be on the California if it has one?

I am not sure why one would want to completely bypass the FOB. When you can have the best of both by inputting the sequence that will disable the FOB however one can still arm the alarm if needed be. I have disabled the FOB and can still use the FOB to turn on the alarm when on the road parking in areas that are not totally trust-worthy.
Hi Mike, please explain in detail How to input the code? By turning the key certain times, pushing toggles on the handlebars( If so which ones)?
The instructions with the alarm system are no quite clear on the process.
Thanks,

The procedure to disarm the alarm has nothing to do with the code you are asked for when first starting the bike. If you want to be able to arm the alarm by using the fob and do not want the alarm to arm when you remove the keys from the ignition then you must perform the below sequence.

1. Start the engine, then shut it off. Set the manual alarm by pushing the key fob button within a few seconds of shut down. The system is now fully armed.
2. Immediately after arming it (the book says within 10 seconds) turn the key on, the alarm will beep once.
3. Push the arming button on the key fob 4 times. The bike will make a sound you never heard before (the book calls it a Boop) 4 times. This confirms that you did it right. If you don't hear 4 Boops, start over again.
4. Turn the key Off. The system is now ready for reprogramming.
5. Turn the key on then off 7 times and then one more time ON (a total of 8 turn-ons). The LED on the side panel (the "real" alarm indicator) should be on.
6. Press the key fob arming button twice. You should hear the weird Boop noise again, confirming the action.
7. Turn the ignition Off and then press the key fob button one last time to exit reprogramming mode.

The red blinker on the dash will continue to blink (it's a decoy and has nothing to do with the actual alarm system), but the Real alarm LED, on the front of the left side panel, will remain off. The alarm will now NOT automatically set. However, if you want to set the full alarm, just use the button.

Of Note, this is best done by having someone read you the steps quickly as you perform the steps. Speed in conducting the steps are key. It did take me a few attempts but i did get it. I now do not have to worry about the alarm, however i can use the FOB to arm the alarm if i want to.

Back