• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 V7 racer flat tire problem!!!

son nguyen

Just got it firing!
hello guys. i have a question. is the 2013 v7 racer rear tire is tubeless? or they do have inner tube? i had a flat last summer. with 2 nails and tires was flat cant make it home. i called for help, friend come over with Tubeless Tire Repair Plug. i plugs both hole and fill it with air and it work, no leak. drove it ever since. and today i was on the road and i found it flat. i pull over at a gas station. fill it with air to see where the leak. and it coming from where all the stroke around the wheel and the valve. now i think it had inner tube but i dont get it, i plug it with Tubeless Tire Repair Plug and if they have inner tube it should not work. please anyone. please let me know

The Racer's spoked wheels have tubes. Just replace the tube, and you're all set unless the tire is severely damaged.

thanks for your reply. is changing the tube required balance the wheel?
thanks

That's amazing those plugs worked with fixing the tube the first time.

You can seal that wheel with silicon, just put a bead around those spoke nuts and let that dry and then run a good thick bead in the well of the rim to double seal the spokes. You can find a tubeless valve stem at almost any auto part store that will fit that rim.

NAPA part no. 90-426 is what I've been using for my valve stems.

If you get leaks around the rim itself just sand it with some 150 grit and shoot the inside edge with sandable primer, it will seal well after that. That primer trick I found out about from a guy that works over at a local tire store. I guess they do that all the time to stop leaks with rims.

That's amazing those plugs worked with fixing the tube the first time.

You can seal that wheel with silicon, just put a bead around those spoke nuts and let that dry and then run a good thick bead in the well of the rim to double seal the spokes. You can find a tubeless valve stem at almost any auto part store that will fit that rim.

NAPA part no. 90-426 is what I've been using for my valve stems.

If you get leaks around the rim itself just sand it with some 150 grit and shoot the inside edge with sandable primer, it will seal well after that. That primer trick I found out about from a guy that works over at a local tire store. I guess they do that all the time to stop leaks with rims.

Running tubeless on a tube type rim is not advisable. The profile of the rim is not designed to retain the tire bead when there is loss of pressure. This can result in instant loss of control when the bead of the tire releases from the rim.

I've heard that before and have not been able to find proof of that.

In fact there are companies selling rim tape seals for spoke wheels to turn them into tubeless rims.

I contacted one company and they e mailed me back saying that the information is false on the internet involving tubeless tires releasing from a tube style rim. No difference exists between the two wheel designs with the bead area of the wheels.

I was concern with that myself and checked it out. It's OK to seal the wheels.

I always ride and keep one eye on the tires anyway. It all goes back to the days of playing with Tonka trucks in the back yard. It was the wheels that got me hooked on them Tonka trucks.

I've heard that before and have not been able to find proof of that.

In fact there are companies selling rim tape seals for spoke wheels to turn them into tubeless rims.

I contacted one company and they e mailed me back saying that the information is false on the internet involving tubeless tires releasing from a tube style rim. No difference exists between the two wheel designs with the bead area of the wheels.

I was concern with that myself and checked it out. It's OK to seal the wheels.

I always ride and keep one eye on the tires anyway. It all goes back to the days of playing with Tonka trucks in the back yard. It was the wheels that got me hooked on them Tonka trucks.

Just look at the profile of a tubeless rim vs a tube type rim. The tubeless rim has a lip to help retain the bead, the tube type does not. I've changed plenty of both and have seen the difference.

I'll have the mother in law test drive this before I get on the freeway with it.

I think the issue is more a case of running a tube style tire with a tube on a tubeless rim. I've heard of that one before many years ago.

Running a tubeless tire without a tube is actually less likely to release on a tube style rim.

I think it's that people confuse or reverse that information.

It's sort of like the old argument with leaded and unleaded valves back in the 70's when people were spending money getting valve jobs to be prepared for unleaded and low lead fuels. It turn out they found out the old valves work harden and heat cycle harden naturally anyway. There never was any reason to have those valve jobs, it turn into a scam or scare tactic to shyster folks.

I think probably people who sell very expensive rims that are spooked for tubeless tires could be trying to put out false information that sealing your wheels is somehow unsafe.

Let's face it the motorized vehicle industry have always attracted, shall we say the unscrupulous types with false or exaggerated claims most often connected to the up-sale.

Last edited:
Let me relay a personal experience. For may rears I would demo ride for Moto Guzzi North America. On one of the Demo rides in Asheville NC I was riding tail in case any of the general public test riders had an issue. Coming off the Blue Ridge Parkway and onto I 40 the bike ( and EV) got a little squirelly. Sure enough I picked up some steel in the back tire. I was about 5 miles from the demo staging area and I know my partner probably wouldn't come looking for me. So I slowly rode the bike to the demo area. Once I go into the parking lot, the bead released from the rim and no more ride in her. We power walked the bike to the staging area, removed the wheel and had the local Guzzi dealer at the time replace the tire. Let us say the slow ride was nerve racking, but once the bead let go, it was over. Luckily I was upright and just stopped without falling over. To this day I will not ride a bike with tubes as the bead will break much sooner that with a tubeless system. Your tires are all that is between you and disaster. If you choose to take the risk, it is up to you.

I hear you, I've had the same experience with tubed tires myself. Once with a rear flat with a tube on an old Bonneville, when that sucker blew I was all over the place, it was hell just to get the bike over to the side of the road, any attempted inputs became exaggerated.

The tubeless tires have a thicker wall and the side walls are stiffer, so when they lose air you have more control. That is more to do with the design of the tire and not the rim.

A tubeless tire on any rim be it spoke sealed/unsealed or mag with or without a tube is safer.

A tire that requires a tube will not seal itself onto any rim because the bead is different.

For example my front rim is sealed on my Bonneville but I'm running a K-81 tube type tire on it so I'm running a tube even though that rim is sealed. Next tire I put on I'll make sure it's a tubeless tire and won't run a tube.

Sealing rims is a safe practice but you must run tubeless tires for it to work without the tubes.

All I will say at this point, that even mags that were designed for tubed tires were modified by machine shops to add a ridge for tire bead retention. The area where the tire bead sits is different no matter what the guy who sells the sealing kit says. Without that ridge, no bead will be retained at all. I'm done with this topic.

I've looked at the inside of my mag wheels for tubeless tires and the inside of the rim on the tube spoke wheel and I can't see any difference in the ridge or bead area or any of that. It's the same exact dimensions on both wheels on the inside part that conacts the bead?

Can you show me the picture showing the difference between both types of wheels? Because if something like that is going on I want to research this a bit more?

So a machine shop re machine a wheel to except tubeless tires? PICTURES?

Don't have pictures. All the tube type rims I've worked on were older BMW and Guzzi rims (Borlani) and don't have the ridge. I don't take pictures of what I work on. Don't take the time to do it.

That's the problem with the internet it's difficult to sometimes get the thought across without pictures or sketch of some type.

I'll check into this difference a bit more and find out more about any machine difference built into wheels that are design for tubeless tires.

First I've heard of this. I always understood that the wheels were all the same design, and it was more a case of the tires beads being design different between the two style tires, that's obvious just looking at the beads, the rims not so obvious or so at least not to me thus far.

Thanks for that information.

Back