• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Moto Guzzi Bellagio Cafe Racer Evolution

Calijackalbob

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Intro. My back story.........

Ive been sporadic, posting bits and pieces, doubling up posts and stuff, in this and other guzzi forums............. time to start a dedicated page for my Moto Guzzi Bellagio Cafe Racer Evolution.

Hi.
My name's Peter - Cali Jackal Bob.
I've owned over 100 bikes. Started riding at 10 or so years old with a "Grand Prix" - home made minibike with a pull start lawn, mower engine. Great memories of that bike, like when I did a jump and one of the handlebars snapped off when I landed,.... still managed to stay upright! Other dirtbike riders saw and expressed their amazement. Apparently I'd got about 10 feet of air under me before I touched down. They were not so brave to fly so high. (
I also Got run off the road by cops, who nearly drove me off a cliff! After the "GP" I moved onto a Honda Cr 125 Elsinore 2 stroke which was too much for me at the time, so I swapped it for a Honda XR75. That was fun. I did a long jump one day, about 20 feet airborne and when I touched down, the nuts that held the seat on came loose and the seat fell off mid air which resulted into a nut crunching landing.

Anyway, followed up with (not in this order) among others, Suzuki DR175, Honda CB750,

CG125, cb125, 250, 400, 900, CX500,

ST1100, Kawasaki Gt750, Z250, Z400, Z750, Z650, Z1100b, Zephyr 750, VN1500,
Yamaha Xj900,

Xs250, 400, 650, ...... all Jap bikes til my BMW R11001R which I bought for all the wrong reasons, just because I hadn't had one before. had an interesting boxer engine and I could afford it.

It wasn't the most sexy bike, but it was reliable. It was a great bike and I loved it, as I did all my bikes before, but I wasn't IN LOVE with it.

I got sideswiped by a dickhead in a car who decided he wanted to be in the space i was riding in more than I was entitled to it. Killed the BMW, busted my foot and collarbone and left me looking for a replacement. My criteria for a new bike were, must be big. Large capacity engine, impressive, different, a head turner, plenty of power........ I looked at Triumph Rocket 3, Honda Valkyrie, an ST1100 streetfighter, Vmax, Yamaha MT01, (love the V Twin and sporty Muscle bike look) but wanted to do a cafe racer. Can you imagine a Valkyrie with Clip ons and a bum stop seat?

Anyway. I bought a Moto Guzzi Jackal, fully intending to make it into a cafe racer, but the draconian laws in this country make any "unapproved" modifications (whether they Improve the bikes handling or safety or not) punishable by jail or ridiculous fines, made me rethink screwing with the Jackal. That's ok though. I soon found the California to be perfect the way it was. (after stripping off the touring saddlebags and fly screen.) I didn't have the heart to meddle with perfection. I was smitten. I loved the Jackal, but more importantly, I was in LOVE with it.
..... so It became a Bobber.

I got the Guzzi Virus. I was in LOVE, infected, addicted, totally enarmoured of the Moto Guzzi brand and as the "Harpers Guzzi" Tshirt says,.... Guzzis are like potato chips,.... you cant just have one."

I rediscovered my (Fleeting back then, ) admiration of the Moto Guzzis I saw (few and fa between in Australia)...... the Le Mans 850, Sport 1100, V7 and all the other gorgeous Guzzis that I saw too seldom to form a real attachment to. I started looking for another Guzzi, but being in a tiny, postage stamp sized country (singapore) with less than 100 MGs on the island, there is little choice. . . . . and what is available is incredibly expensive. A new V7 Racer cost $29000 SGD. So I looked for something older. There is jack shit here, a hand full of Grisos, the odd Stelvio, Norge, V11s and a bunch of too expensive V7s. Nothing much on the 2nd hand market. Like I said, there are only about 100 Guzzis in the country.

Came across a 750 Breva, which I thought would be a nice cafe racer conversion,
Did a photoshop mock up,.....

but the gearbox was stuffed. Would have cost in excess of $12000 SGD and would still have been a tired , rusty old bike....

then a mate told me of a Bellagio he knew of for sale. I went to see it on my Jackal.

so,...... being inspired by the Bellagio (and other Guzzi) Cafe Racers on the internet,

[URL=http://s946.photobucket.com/user/Calijackalbob/media/bellagio%20cafe_zpsovevoz1n.jpg.html]

[URL=http://s946.photobucket.com/user/Calijackalbob/media/Bellagio%20936%20CR%2002_zps1thy44cv.jpg.html]

I bought the Bellagio.

[/URL][/URL]

So I went to work......

A mate lent me a V7 tank (Plastic one that was replaced under warranty because the chrome had cracked)

Tried it with a few different seat, tank combinations,.....
[URL=http://s946.photobucket.com/user/Calijackalbob/media/20150905_122856_zps9kdxv73r.jpg.html]

so I checked out how they would fit on and look before making the transformation.

Have to go with the V7 Racer tank and seat. Just looks too RIGHT.

anyway, thare are issues with making the tank fit,.... location of the ECU,... too high for the tank. Bellagio airbox, had to be removed so tank would fit, which required pod filters. I got K&N's and it runs and sounds fantastic.

https://youtu.be/EV5vEGdyoqM[/URL]

spenta a lot of time trying things on and then taking them off again so I could ride it in the meantime,..... it's got to be PERFECT before I commit to anything......
Here it is with the chrome stripped off the plastic tank and the seat (Not fitted correctly yet) and the original handlebars and (honda) mirrors.

Got new clip ons off Ebay. A bargain and really nice at only $35USD and some cool bar end mirrors from china, also off ebay at $35 UDS

and best of all, they thoroughly transform the bike from a bike with identity crisis,..... "Am I a cruiser or a street racer?" into a beautifully handling, naked sports bike. Reminds me of the Ducati Monster I test rode some time ago. I think in this guise, it is a perfect competitor in the market for the Monster....... only so much cooler because it is a Guzzi!

Last edited:
Still haven't gotten around to changing the tank yet. The plan is to get the tank fitted right, make the V7 bum stop racer seat fit and get the necessary tail end, under seat mudguard/tail light - signal bracket designed and fabricated before getting a chrome paint job on the tank. In the meantime I got number plate relocator from MG Cycles in the US. and a (Sidemount) number plate holder from Ebay (China) $25 USD and got rid of the original Belllagio number plate light and bracket.

Really unclutters the arse end.
Haven't wired it up yet. It was a real pain getting the 3 wires into the 10 feet of wire heat shrink wrap. Had to scotch tape them to a chop stick and thread them through, the wrap broke twice before I was done. Oh well, .... a bit of black insulation tape hides the joins.
Anyway, can't wire it up til the tank and seat is fitted and the under seat mudguard/tail light - signal bracket is designed, fabricated and fitted.

In the meantime, I have a concern,.............
(mentioned elsewhere in this forum.... But I'll repeat myself here.)

I bought a plastic V7 tank that was replaced after the chrome cracked up. It has been unused for a year or more. I need advice on is this:
I removed the fuel pump and found petrol residue, a thick brown goo, the colour and consistency of honey inside the tank. My concern is that it may have clogged up the internal fuel pump and filter and made them unusable. It's a major issue because, I need to be certain the fuel pump will work properly when the tanks are switched, that it won't clog the injectors, ...... and, because I am cutting up wiring, from the Bellagio pump to make it fit the V7 pump, I want to be sure everything is working right before I switch tanks - pumps, cut wires and commit to the new V7 tank.

Is there a way of
1. Testing the fuel pump and filter before installing them on the bike.
2. Cleaning the fuel pump and filter without damaging them,
3. Should I soak them in solvents, petrol, ethanol, thinners, detergents..........

I would love to be able to fix any problems before I switch tanks/fuel pumps, cut wiring, etc,.... want to do the switch and be riding it the same day.
Any advice appreciated.

Another question I have is regarding Power commanders and similar fuel enrichment systems.
This question is psted elsewhare, but here it is again......

I just fitted K&N pod filters to my Bellagio, removed the airbox, ( it's getting the cafe racer treatment, going to be sporting a V7 tank and seat, so the airbox had to go)
.......... anyway, It now sounds awesome. Love the induction roar. It's a tiny bit more hesitant to start, but otherwise runs beautifully. Can't tell if it's got more power or not, but sure sounds faster.
Being concerned about the possibility of running lean and burning valves, I'm looking into getting a "Boosterplug" ...... an alternative to a Power Commander. Wondering if anyone has tried one and how it affects the running of the engine. Is it worth it? The Bellagio is, as I said, running fine with the K&Ns and stock exhaust.
As I understand it, the booster plug / power commander just gives the ECU an underestimate of the ambient temperature, thus prompting the ECU to deliver a richer fuel to air mix.
The boosterplug is cheaper than the PC. Seems to do the same thing with less complications. Anyone used one? Any testimonials, advice for or against?

....................... seems the fuel pump is not happening. Tried soaking in carby cleaner, (which went from clear to yellow) but it still won't spin. Hopefully the Bellagio one will fit into the V7 tank.
Anyway, took off the top triple clamp, which looked good, but had a few nicks and scratches in the laquer and some corrosion rearing its frosty head. It wasn't so easy removing as expected. The ignition barrel is fixed with one allen bolt and another "security bolt that has no head, so couldnt be removed. Had to pull out the clamp with the barrel, wrap up the wires and go to work. I spent an hour or so stripping the laquer off the top triple clamp and polishing it with a buffer wheel on my drill. A quick, cheap way to add BLING to your bike. (Would have been quicker if I could get the barrel off. Paint stripper eats plastic and rubber, so I had to be extra careful.)

P1020122_zps0nzaxyg7.jpg

Shiny as chrome now.

P1020123_zpsvgj0ukx2.jpg

smiley1.gif
Every little bit counts.

Another question I have is regarding Power commanders and similar fuel enrichment systems.
This question is psted elsewhare, but here it is again......

I just fitted K&N pod filters to my Bellagio, removed the airbox, ( it's getting the cafe racer treatment, going to be sporting a V7 tank and seat, so the airbox had to go)
.......... anyway, It now sounds awesome. Love the induction roar. It's a tiny bit more hesitant to start, but otherwise runs beautifully. Can't tell if it's got more power or not, but sure sounds faster.
Being concerned about the possibility of running lean and burning valves, I'm looking into getting a "Boosterplug" ...... an alternative to a Power Commander. Wondering if anyone has tried one and how it affects the running of the engine. Is it worth it? The Bellagio is, as I said, running fine with the K&Ns and stock exhaust.
As I understand it, the booster plug / power commander just gives the ECU an underestimate of the ambient temperature, thus prompting the ECU to deliver a richer fuel to air mix.
The boosterplug is cheaper than the PC. Seems to do the same thing with less complications. Anyone used one? Any testimonials, advice for or against?
"BoosterPlug" and other fooler widgets are not so much an alternative to a Power Commander as they are a cheaper but simpler way to modify the fueling. It does not really allow any complex modifications to fueling. You can't get the specific changes to fueling that the Power Commander allows. Is it good enough for you? That depends on how picky you are.
I would only consider a bodge fix like Booster Plug if I did not have the ability to do the Power Commander. Perhaps something is better than nothing.

Finally wired up the number plate relocator light.

P1020130_zpsfvpeiput.jpg

Was waiting on a new tail light to arrive from Ebay. This enabled a bit more weight, clutter shedding. Removed tht OEM tail light and rear fairing. Temporarily fitted replacement tail light under the seat.

P1020127_zpsk3aoygiq.jpg

Rear signals get (temporarily) fitted tomorrow. (ran out of wire connectors.)

When the fuel pump is sorted out, the next step is a switch to V7 Racer tank and seat then finish off the tail light, signal with permanent mounting brackets...... - See more pics at: http://s946.photobucket.com/user/Ca...eiput.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2#sthash.HibREfqT.dpuf

This vid shows the problems fitting the V7 tank and seat to the Bellagio 940 Cafe Racer Evolution Project.

one issue was the V7 fuel pump was seized. Wouldn't spin, so I bit the bullet, cut the wires to the Bellagio Fuel pump and took it out to see if it would fit. What I found was scary. NO fuel filter and the pump and internal wiring were held together with bits of wire!
P1020137_zpsukoy2r55.jpg

P1020136_zpsv7ctdfkz.jpg

Fortunately the pump fit into the V7 mounting plate and the V7 filter was ok, so In they went.

After a lot of screwing around, I found that to make the seat fit, I had to pull the tank back. I re-used the Bellagio tank/seat bracket, flipping it upside down and back to front, then cutting a slot into it so the lock nut could slide back. That way I could bring the tank back to fit the seat.
P1020143_zpsccbgi1fz.jpg

P1020144_zpsmcfzgsye.jpg

I had to remove a couple of rubber mounts off the seat and cut away some of the plastic underside so the seat would sit low on the frame. I also had to relocate the seat lock from under the frame plate, to the top of it, so it is high enough for the seat's (shorter) locking pin to fit in the lock.

P1020142_zpswbptrk6q.jpg

...................and Voila. They fit perfectly.
P1020147_zps2eso539v.jpg

now just waiting til monday to get a tail light/signal bracket made up so it works with the side numberplate.

In the meantime Riding it around like this.
P1020151_zpsm1t2szkn.jpg

so,.... yesterday I got a quote from "Kenny The Bike Fabricator" to make up a bracket to fit the tail light and signals around the V7 side number plate.
Heading back there on monday to get the job done.
I asked him at the time where I could get stickers made up and he pointed me towards a shop around the corner.

Went there, told them what I wanted and this is how it went. It was interesting to watch them build up the layers.

First up a Red Chrome background to become a red border.

20151112_140244_zps5qskatdw.jpg

Then the chrome,

20151112_140333_zps5sixfxpp.jpg

Black outline and shadow for the numbers,............

20151112_142222_zpsr2vowwmx.jpg

and finally, Red Chrome numbers.

20151112_143207_zpsc4ujwuix.jpg

and here's the result.

20151112_143554_zpsfxyzdtxk.jpg

20151112_144618_zpsjgolav0v.jpg

and all that only cost $50 (About $35USD.)

BLING !

grin.gif

I just came across this thread - great build ! Any updates?

Here's my Bellagio V940 Cafe Racer Evoluzione.

a5_zpsziz7tc3j.jpg

a1_zps9gymmhrf.jpg

Love the look, but the finish is not quite up to scratch. They'll have to re finish a few things before it's good enough, but these guys have been bending over backwards to make me happy. I'm sure it'll all be perfect at the end of the day.......... one day.

Still to do:
1. re fit the bar end mirrors.
2. (......after the tank is finished nicely) fit new tank emblems/eagles.
3. remove the passenger pegs, and get a custom exhaust muffler bracket made,..... ( the original with the passenger footrest mounts needs a little tidying up.)
4. maybe re do the black chrome hugger, ( it's not quite black enough.)
5. Polish the forks (and a few other things)
6. Paint the lower triple clamp black.

Do steps 7 through 80,........ keep the "Evoluzione" evolving. (Is a project ever truly finished?)

Anyway. Progress is being made. How's it look so far?

Freakin Beauty Full!!!! Nice work wish I had the patience.
Hi Trout.
Who said I was patient?
The thing is, when you want to customise your bike, just make one change at a time. If it's going to be laid up/hibernating over winter or you're getting an operation that puts you off the road for a bit, get the work that you can't tackle yourself done by someone who can. (paint, chrome etc..... That's what I've been doing. I call this project the "Evolutione" as it is evolving a little at a time.
Good luck with your project. Be sure to post pics, start a thread on your bike's evolution. Lots of us Guzzisti will be interested.

P1020285_zpsjqkh1ekl.jpg

Back