• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

For the love of God, someone please talk some sense into me!

wildgeezer

Just got it firing!
Hi all,
So, it has become painfully obvious that my poor back can't take the riding position of my lovely Griso anymore. I start to have muscle spasms after about 100 or so miles and I can't get it to heal properly because of life's demands and my love of being on 2 wheels, so the Griso is going up for sale along with a couple other toys to finance a new bike.

I am seriously considering leaving the marquee due to the Stelvio being the only Guzzi that fits my needs and desires. I love the Stelvio and my last 3 bikes have been 2 valve Guzzi's, but I have heard way too many horror stories of Stelvio ownership. I have a friend with a 2012 NTX that I have ridden a short distance and loved it, but it has had all the issues. Ate a cam, clutch recal, and carc seals. He has ridden the bike through 40 something states and it has been in the shop as much as in his garage. I have heard that Guzzi went to roller rockers in 2013 and when they recalled the cams on his that is what they said his got, so I'm considering a leftover 2013 or 14 so I get a full factory warranty. I am working toward my ASE Master certification, so I'm not afraid to tear into a bike myself if I can get good service information.

The thing is, this will be my only bike for the foreseeable future. I don't want a bike that is broken down and waiting for parts to get to the states for weeks at a time, so I'm looking at all the upright sport-touring and adventure bikes. Someone please convince me that a '13 or '14 Stelvio will be a reliable daily rider.

Thanks in advance,
Thad

Thad,

My first back problems came 4+ decades ago working construction to put yourself through college has it's disadvantages.

The real problem with your back is probably that you are a sinner and haven't spent enough time taking care of God's work (your back).

Leave the Griso alone for a while.

Consider penance (rehab) for your back. Bicycling does work the back, use a bike you have to lean forward somewhat on, spin at 80 ppm or so, light pressure on the peddles and no climbing. Or paddle a kayak softly - the idea is light exercise. Light Canoes are also good as well as rowing a fixed or sliding seat boat. I've done it all and it does work. You just have to give it time and the older you are the more time it takes. since I'm Social Security age it takes a dam long time.

The big thing is when you have the spasm get some good drugs (my first choice is 5 Mississippi's of cheap scotch or if necessary Vicodin) and use them.

I sleep on the floor - often.

Actually riding my G11 for the last year is really helping my back but I ride it like a Horse / Mountain bike where I lift off the seat for the major bumps in the road.

As they say getting old is a B....

Mark with 40+ years of intermittent debilitating back pain.

Mark,
I appreciate your input. My wife is a nurse practitioner, so we have discussed the options and neither want to do the pain management route. I also spent 13 years working a full time kitchen job while taking 2 classes a semester to get my business degree. I then spent 9 years as salaried management for Wally World stocking shelves, pushing carts, unloading trucks, ect. For 12 hours a day. I now spend 35 hours a week in a garage fixing cars and 30 hours a week at night in a kitchen cooking, so overuse is the problem as opposed to injury. I stretch 2 to 3 times a day to help with muscle spasms. I also raced mountain bikes in college and it does help, but I just don't have the time or energy anymore. After comparing seating positions back to back, I realized I just need a more upright riding position with more wind protection while keeping my feet under me to absorb impacts to do the kind of riding I enjoy. I commute by bike frequently as it's the only time I can find to ride most days, but when I do go for a ride, 100 miles is a short one and the Griso's position is just to aggressive with the physical stress I place on my body daily and I'm tired of being in pain all the time, so I unfortunately have to make a change to continue to ride the way I want to.

Don't let what you read on the forums and 1 bike influence your decisions. I have had my 2012 NTX from new with 31000 miles on it and it has never been an issue. Never left me stranded. Never had a warranty claim item (at least no one that I actually installed on the bike and now have as a spare). Clutch is still original and going. Carc seal original and never been an issue and it has the ever dreaded...oh no...dare I say it...flat tappets, that after 31,000 miles has not needed a valve gap adjustment once set after the first service and runs a gentle tapity tap tap just to let me know it is still there. All the bike has needed has been oil, gas and tires for 2 1/2 years of ownership.

Yes there are issues with the Aux light but those are easily fixed as I did on mine.

Buy the bike, do the services and wear ear plugs.......they all ride better with ear plugs in.

Incredible deals on new 2014 Stelvios are out there. There was a dealer bankruptcy in So. Cal and another dealer bought their stock - new 2014s were listed for $10,990, $5k off MSRP. Easily covers the airfare and fuel to get home. There may be reasonable deals closer to home, look for leftover 2014s now that 2015s are on the floor (but I loooove that 2015 navy blue!).

Let us know when the new Stelvio is on your garage!

100 miles is a short one and the Griso's position is just to aggressive with the physical stress I place on my body daily and I'm tired of being in pain all the time, so I unfortunately have to make a change to continue to ride the way I want to.

You had me at fixing cars. I seem to be working on my kids and own car more and more. Most repairs take me a long time because I have to take "back" breaks often. Right now my CTS-V needs a new radiator and a new oil pressure sending unit. Then I can rehab the fuel injectors.

I to have been looking at Stelvio's because after 6 hours on the Griso I'm beat. I want to get a 650 mi/day machine so that I can make longer trips. I'll keep the Griso as my daily commuter and short ride bike.

You know there is a nice - less expensive 2012 Stelvio NTX at Marietta that I've been drooling over. It'd be a long fly-n-ride for me and I'd have to visit my Uncle @ Pickwick lake on the way back to California.

So a question to those who have dealt with Guzzi warranty claims. How do they take care of you? I have heard that they only pay for parts if the bike is out of warranty and I think that is a load of crap when anyone with any common sense knows that flat tappets on an overhead cam is a bad design. Will they give you the parts or does the work have to be done by a Guzzy dealer?

In August I rode my 2007 Norge (36,000 mostly trouble free miles) to Moto International to buy a new 2014 Norge they had. I test rode it for 15 miles (freeway and surface streets) and came back ready to make a deal. Just out of caution I decided to test ride a new 2014 Stelvio that was there also. I rode it (no exaggeration) 6 blocks and returned to the shop and bought it. I'm 66 years old, have less than great knees and occasional back flares. The Norge was a 300 miles per day ride. The first day I had the Stelvio I put 620 on it without distress (I leave 1000 miles from Seattle). I'm up to 4,000 miles on it and with a remap from Guzzitech, I couldn't be happier with it.

Regarding longevity, I have a couple of friends with Guzzis that have been trouble free. One fellow I know bought a 2012 flat tappet Stelvio and is up to 24,000 miles on it without issues. I think Moto Guzzis are pretty strong and if well cared for will serve you well.

And I can't recommend Moto International in Seattle enough. My experience with them was excellent. The best ever!
Garwood.

Incredible deals on new 2014 Stelvios are out there. There was a dealer bankruptcy in So. Cal and another dealer bought their stock - new 2014s were listed for $10,990, $5k off MSRP. Easily covers the airfare and fuel to get home. There may be reasonable deals closer to home, look for leftover 2014s now that 2015s are on the floor (but I loooove that 2015 navy blue!).

Let us know when the new Stelvio is on your garage!
Which dealer in So Ca went BK?

How about higher Bars and lower Pegs on the Griso, so it's more like a Stelvio ergonomically?

Really, a high and heavy Bike like the Stelvio would likely exacerbate any Back issues, it's a (literal) royal pain to move around when you're not riding it :whew:.
Just getting on/off the thing can be a challenge sometimes.
Already had to pick mine up off the floor after a parking 'mishap', just a month's ownership to date! :blush:

Once you'r rolling though . . . :rock:

I can thoroughly recommend a 'Memory Foam' mattress for Back issues, couldn't do half the stuff I do without mine (suffered a Prolapsed Disc in 2000)!

Yea. I've actually started researching different bar and windscreen options. A friend at school in the machine shop is making me some 1" and 1/2" spacers for the risers on my bike. I'll try those when my back heals up. If it's not enough, I'll look into some pro taper cr high bars and a larger windscreen. At least to buy some time to get finances straight. I'm also still not sold on the 8v motor. I would like to hear from some with the roller motors with 30,000 or 40,000 miles to see how they are holding up.

I put 55,000 mi on an '09 before a deer killed it. It never darkened the door of a shop, I did routine maintenance every 6,000 and a general tear down and refreshing at 50,000.

I searched for a dealer with both a Norge and Stelvio to ride recently, with the intention of buying the Norge. I loved the way it rode, but knew I was going home with the Stelvio within minutes of sitting on the Norge.

Stelvio is a great all around bike, great traveler and good around town. I have to say though, the Griso makes my heart skip whenever I see one.

Mine only has 19,000 miles, and apart from a very early timing sensor failure at 500 miles it bike is rock solid. I have done at least two thousand miles in 24 hour runs, (not recommended) but the bike is comfortable, roomy, and fast. The Griso is a beautiful bike and I admire them, till the aches remind me the Stelvio is for me!

Don't let what you read on the forums and 1 bike influence your decisions. I have had my 2012 NTX from new with 31000 miles on it and it has never been an issue. Never left me stranded. Never had a warranty claim item (at least no one that I actually installed on the bike and now have as a spare). Clutch is still original and going. Carc seal original and never been an issue and it has the ever dreaded...oh no...dare I say it...flat tappets, that after 31,000 miles has not needed a valve gap adjustment once set after the first service and runs a gentle tapity tap tap just to let me know it is still there. All the bike has needed has been oil, gas and tires for 2 1/2 years of ownership.

Yes there are issues with the Aux light but those are easily fixed as I did on mine.

Buy the bike, do the services and wear ear plugs.......they all ride better with ear plugs in.
Canuck, I agree with you, my Stelvio is coming up to 10,000 kms and apart from the slightly noisy clutch at the beginning, it runs like a dream.
I just came back from a trip from Adelaide [ South Australia ] to Darwin in the north via Ayers Rock a total of 3,800 kms.
The bike didn't miss a beat, and I still managed to get 192 km per hr [120 mph ] in an open speed limit section of the hwy.
At that speed the handling and stability was superb.
Also with the clutch, it just takes a bit of technique, and you don't get any noise at all, even from cold start.

Thanks Dave

For the clutch the other thing that helps is to blow out the bell housing every 10k or so. It builds up with clutch dust and makes the groan at the beginning worse. It will also help the overall performance of the clutch. Also the clutch dust will eventually make it into the starter and gum up the works. Just some good preventative maintenance.

If you do a search on here you should find out how to do it. Easiest way is to pull the starter and blow it out from there and then through the inspection plug in the other side. Just make sure you wear a mask and do it outside. If you can't find it let me know and I can talk you through it.

For the clutch the other thing that helps is to blow out the bell housing every 10k or so. It builds up with clutch dust and makes the groan at the beginning worse. It will also help the overall performance of the clutch. Also the clutch dust will eventually make it into the starter and gum up the works. Just some good preventative maintenance.

If you do a search on here you should find out how to do it. Easiest way is to pull the starter and blow it out from there and then through the inspection plug in the other side. Just make sure you wear a mask and do it outside. If you can't find it let me know and I can talk you through it.
Thanks appreciate that, good advice.

Back