• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GT-Modded new turn-key V9/7

I...

• LOVE this concept, I'd buy one regardless of price

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Think it's great, but I'll just buy a stock V9 B/R

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I like the new models as is.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not interested at all in the small block

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would actually prefer a V9 with the full GT-Rx treatment but with a 1400 motor or 1200 8V; the 4v conversion even would be fun with the new v9 motor. I like the look of the heads on your 4v racer...has that old school aesthetic. Will you be doing something like that?
Well, the V9 is still a "small block" so no way economically feasible way to stuff a big block in (but keep an eye out for my V7-tank'ed 1380cc monster). As long as nothing major internally on the heads and cylinders has changed, I can likely match the entire top end of my 4V Racer to the new V8.5/9 motor, however, it looks as of now we might be able to cast our own 4V heads to match the 2V V9 heads.

Well, the V9 is still a "small block" so no way economically feasible way to stuff a big block in (but keep an eye out for my V7-tank'ed 1380cc monster). As long as nothing major internally on the heads and cylinders has changed, I can likely match the entire top end of my 4V Racer to the new V8.5/9 motor, however, it looks as of now we might be able to cast our own 4V heads to match the 2V V9 heads.

Gotcha. I will definitely keep an eye out for that. I guess I was imagining Radical Guzzi's V12 they have on their site basically, albeit with a slightly bigger motor. The 4v head on a V9 would be appealing to me as well. Cool stuff in the works.

definitely interested but the price would have to be in the reasonable range.
$15000?

definitely interested but the price would have to be in the reasonable range.
$15000?
I will have a build sheet that should come in under that, and run up from there depending on options wanted; Suspension, exhaust, etc. The 4V version, if we can justify bringing it to market, would be over that amount... But they would be fully custom, built to order of course.

I like the idea Todd. If I had a choice of V7 or a 900 version on the shop floor, I'd probably take the 900.

I'm still quietly hoping Guzzi will reintroduce the V11 Sport, or maybe a 900 version of the 750.

Either way the V11 sports or V7 stones/specials are for me the best looking motorcycles ever made.

With some suspension and exhaust mods I'm sure the big block V7/9 will be a delight to own and ride.

I don't see an option listed I'd vote for so here's my take on it.

I'm interested in a big bore/4V V7II based Stornello Scrambler style. Price has it's limits, especially if it's a big hit. If it gets to be too much other bikes become more attractive real quick. I do look at the overall picture and it has to make some sense.

I think what I'd want is essentially starting with a new Stornello plus what I listed above mapped and ready to go. Depending on final price I'd probably have to upgrade suspension etc. over time or in phases. As I can do a great deal of work myself, I think what attracts me the most would be to have the big bore/4V engine all setup and correctly mapped by you, then I'd probably take it from there. But it would depend on final cost of options.

I'm looking for roughly 70 -75 hp with solid torque, maybe around 50 ft lbs and smooth running. The Ducati Scrambler engine sets the bar for performance in my mind. I've ridden 2 of them and it's just about right for a roughly 400 lb package.

If Guzzi offered a V9 Scrambler I might just start with that, dunno. I don't know what Guzzi's plans for the V9 range is. I'm not attracted to what I see offered in V9 format right now. It seems like they are chasing the HD Sportster.

I'm waiting to see what Triumph does with their Scrambler......, plus this and then make a decision for next year.

I like the idea Todd. If I had a choice of V7 or a 900 version on the shop floor, I'd probably take the 900. I'm still quietly hoping Guzzi will reintroduce the V11 Sport, or maybe a 900 version of the 750. Either way the V11 sports or V7 stones/specials are for me the best looking motorcycles ever made. With some suspension and exhaust mods I'm sure the big block V7/9 will be a delight to own and ride.
Well, the V9 is technically an 850 small block. 84mm bore, which is the same as my 820 kit.
The only waves on the horizon were of the V13 H20 Le Mans a year or so back. I have to think that's in the works still. The only hope of a big block 900 was the Bellagio, and they pulled the plug on that one.
Plan is to retro fit a new V9 with the V7 bodywork, and/or offer a new/leftover V7 with my 820 kit, 2 or 4-valve. I will be looking on casting a 4-valve head for the new 850 small block motor, same shape as what they are showing.

I don't see an option listed I'd vote for so here's my take on it.
I'm interested in a big bore/4V V7II based Stornello Scrambler style. Price has it's limits, especially if it's a big hit. If it gets to be too much other bikes become more attractive real quick. I do look at the overall picture and it has to make some sense.
I think what I'd want is essentially starting with a new Stornello plus what I listed above mapped and ready to go. Depending on final price I'd probably have to upgrade suspension etc. over time or in phases. As I can do a great deal of work myself, I think what attracts me the most would be to have the big bore/4V engine all setup and correctly mapped by you, then I'd probably take it from there. But it would depend on final cost of options. I'm looking for roughly 70 -75 hp with solid torque, maybe around 50 ft lbs and smooth running. The Ducati Scrambler engine sets the bar for performance in my mind. I've ridden 2 of them and it's just about right for a roughly 400 lb package. If Guzzi offered a V9 Scrambler I might just start with that, dunno. I don't know what Guzzi's plans for the V9 range is. I'm not attracted to what I see offered in V9 format right now. It seems like they are chasing the HD Sportster.
I hear you Dan... here's the problem, the 4V-820 motor I've built is in the ~60 rwhp range. No way to get it to 70 and have it be durable and reliable. The Ducati Scrambler might be the best way for you to go.
I guess it's wait and see on a Factory V9 Scrambler, instinct says it won't happen, but I've been wrong many times before.
I think many are in the "don't like it" boat on the new V9 styling, hence what created the idea and this thread.

Thanks for your input.

Thanks for the feedback Todd. The 60-65 rwhp might be OK if there's decent torque to back it up.

Looking at this dyno chart comparing the Ducati with the Triumph your modded V7 is in the hunt.

I'm not really looking to say that's my absolute requirement, it's more like a yardstick based on actually riding the different bikes.

In reality the Triumph Scrambler is the V7 Stornello's true competitor for me as even though I like the Duc engine I'm not keen on the mini-bike size of the bike. Also, the Duc engine runs friggen hot. I have a '09 Ducati Sport Classic and it runs just as hot.

Prior to the 6 spd upgrade for the V7 I had pretty much counted it out as I really want a 6 spd if possible. I'm waiting to see if Triumph upgrades the Scrambler along the lines of the Bonnie and Thruxton.

I think Guzzi has an opportunity here if they put some effort into the Stornello as the Scrambler market is pretty hot right now. I think the work you are doing with the 4v heads etc. is exactly what Guzzi should be doing. The short block is good, it's the heads where things are seriously lacking.

I'm still very interested to rent your modded 4V V7 for a day when it's ready. Keep me posted.

Thanks for the feedback Todd. The 60-65 rwhp might be OK if there's decent torque to back it up.
See below for Mike's '12 stock bore (749cc) 4V (blue) over a the stock V7 (red), 4V torque is at 46 lb.ft., so square in the hunt. The 820 kit is ~60+hp/50 lb.ft. - perhaps the new head combustion design with 4V @820cc will be slightly more. We shall see. I am very close on having the 820-4V Racer ready to rent. Just need to get the fueling sorted (zero time these days) and some miles on it. It's a little beast.

stockborev74v-vs-stockv7-dyno-jpg.8970

Thanks for posting that. The Dyno graph shows exactly how bad those stock 2V heads are, plain as day.

The torque curve on the 4V looks excellent, it's fat right where you want it and doesn't fall off too quick.

Keep me posted on the 4V racer, little beast sounds fun...... that's the sort of thing I'm looking for, not excuses for the lack of factory development.

There's not a lot of magic in performance, just some effort.

Hi to all ! I`m new in this forum (which i found while googling) and hopefully everybody or at least somebody understands my english.

I`m curious about changing stock fuel tank of V9 to bigger one from V7. Also the seat would be changed to one from the V7. I like more about the looks of V9 with V7 tank. I found out that many people have made this swap, but didn`t find any information how difficult this mod is.

Has anyone here made this swap or know does it require cutting and welding of the frame ? Looks like changing the tank could be "bolt-on" job, but the seat might be different. V9 frame seems straight all the way to the tail, but V7 has slight angle in the back part underneath the seat.

Any information or advices would be nice. Thank you !

Hi to all ! I`m new in this forum (which i found while googling) and hopefully everybody or at least somebody understands my english.
Your english is great (Google translate?).
I merged your question to this thread. Ironically enough, despite the poll above, I’ve had zero interest in new V9/7s.
I can’t expand much here, and it’s not simple or easy, but the tank fits with very little modifications (no cutting or welding). You have to remove the USB plug and related covers, and use the V7 fuel pump ($$$$).
The V9 seat latch is just beyond the airbox lid, so the V7 seat pin must be relocated to that location. Many who have ridden my rental; http://ridemalibu.com/bikes/v97/ - find it too loose when latched in, but when seated it’s as expected and fits perfectly outside of the rear seat bumpers for the angled V7 frame. However mine has been extensively ridden two-up with zero issues.
Best of luck.

I can't quite press the "I'd Love One" button because of the regardless of price clause. :D

While I dump oodles of money into my motorcycle and bicycle, I'm very very choosy about what I'm spending that money on and there are definitely things I don't buy purely because, as desirable as they are, they're more expensive than I want to spend for the added benefits they bring. An example is the Öhlins 43mm fork for the V7 that you offer ... It would be delightful and brilliant, and a big plus for riders who are more performance oriented and better at it than I am... But the total cost including the necessary brake master cylinder, caliper, fender, etc, brings the price out to the far side of what I can go for. The Matris cartridge fork kit, at roughly a quarter the money, does well enough for my desires/needs/riding skill level, etc.

Building bespoke machines is always expensive, but "regardless of price" is a bit over the top for my pay grade... which hovers nowadays near the 'zilch' mark given that I'm retired. I'd think of the service as more a "buy a new motorcycle with the careful customizations that make sense for me" kind of thing, which always has in it an eye on the total budget and cost/value equation.

I can't quite press the "I'd Love One" button because of the regardless of price clause.
This thread is ~2.5 years old now, so I just wanted to add the notes in answering the question to the poster above.

Ah, I didn't notice the age of the thread. Doh! :)
But did you see the V9/7 when your were down here?!
Thing of beauty!

I frequently find myself saying the same thing, but seeing the bike in person makes one wonder why MG didn't offer it this way from the factory. It's exactly what one would have wanted from an updated V7 that could have been debuted three years ago. It still could have been called the V9, and they still could have offered the Heron head V7 as the V7II. I'm pretty sure I know which one would have been flying off the shelf. ;)

Your english is great (Google translate?).
I merged your question to this thread. Ironically enough, despite the poll above, I’ve had zero interest in new V9/7s.
I can’t expand much here, and it’s not simple or easy, but the tank fits with very little modifications (no cutting or welding). You have to remove the USB plug and related covers, and use the V7 fuel pump ($$$$).
The V9 seat latch is just beyond the airbox lid, so the V7 seat pin must be relocated to that location. Many who have ridden my rental; http://ridemalibu.com/bikes/v97/ - find it too loose when latched in, but when seated it’s as expected and fits perfectly outside of the rear seat bumpers for the angled V7 frame. However mine has been extensively ridden two-up with zero issues.
Best of luck.

Thank you for your compliment. I have to thank Finnish education system from my english and of course movies,games and music. Obviously it works :D Google translate is actually pretty horrible with finnish. If i have to translate something i always translate it from original language to english.

I apologize linkin to another forum. I didn`t know that is forbidden and didn`t have guts just to steal the pics from that topic.

But back to the point; Thank you for your advices. That sounds bigger job than i hoped. Do you know does the tank fit straight to old fittings or do you have to mod them too ?

About the seat. That sounds like it would be easier and better idea to buy another V9 seat and rebuild it to "V7 lookalike" ?

The reason why i`m asking these questions is that i like parts of the both bikes. Black V7 is pretty nice looking, but i really would appreacite the few extra horsepower that V9 has and V9 has much better looking wheels/rims. I`m aware of the spoked wheels available to V7 but they are pretty expensive (about 2000-3000$). Does anyone know do V9 wheels fit straight to V7 ? They would cost just about 1000$

For some reason here the used V7 and V9 prices are approximately same. I`m considering to buy either V7 or V9 and customizing it when winter arrives. I really like the look of the Guzzis V7/V9 and especially the motor. It looks like somebody took the motor from old biplane and decided to fit in the motorbike, no matter what it takes :D

Yes, your V9 is lovely! it's puzzling why they don't offer something more like that from the factory.

I hope that they offer not only an adventure touring version of the new V85 but a more LeMansish-Racerish version as well. That would make me happy .... and poorer. :D

That sounds like it would be easier and better idea to buy another V9 seat and rebuild it to "V7 lookalike" ?
Probably, but not in cost for the end product.
The reason why i`m asking these questions is that i like parts of the both bikes. Black V7 is pretty nice looking, but i really would appreacite the few extra horsepower that V9 has and V9 has much better looking wheels/rims. I'm aware of the spoked wheels available to V7 but they are pretty expensive (about 2000-3000$). Does anyone know do V9 wheels fit straight to V7 ? They would cost just about 1000$
The power differences are minimal if you are talking V7 III (ride both it and the V9 if you can). If you are comparing the V7 II to V9, there are valuable differences IMO.
The wheels do not interchange. If you like the V9 wheels, buy the V9.
For some reason here the used V7 and V9 prices are approximately same.
V9 sales are pretty flat around the world. I believe that is the reason for the silly "Garage" build nonsense.
Best of luck with everything, sure you'll love whatever you end up with.

Back