• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Final drive leak thread

Does your V7 Final Drive leak? Select all that apply, and be sure to include model year below.

• Total voters
I had mine replaced once and all was good for awhile (maybe 2K miles), then I saw some evidence of leaking again but it wasn't nearly as much as before just a bit around the drive housing (not splashes on the rim). A fellow Racer owner suggested blowing out the breather with compressed air and that has done the trick for the last 1K miles. I'm hoping my case is resolved. I'd be frustrated if I were you too. Good luck with resolving the issue.

Are you out of warranty yet? If not, have it replaced. I would also check the oil level in addition to the breather. The amount is pretty minimal.

I had mine replaced once and all was good for awhile (maybe 2K miles), then I saw some evidence of leaking again but it wasn't nearly as much as before just a bit around the drive housing (not splashes on the rim). A fellow Racer owner suggested blowing out the breather with compressed air and that has done the trick for the last 1K miles. I'm hoping my case is resolved. I'd be frustrated if I were you too. Good luck with resolving the issue.

Yea same with me. It's frustrating huh? Yes, this time it isn't splashing on the rim at all, just a few drops falling occasionally. I'll try the breather cap trick, but I have made sure that's clean. This might sound dumb, but per the pic I attached, does the top part of the breather cap come off easily or supposed to come off when cleaning it out? Not sure because it's not screwed on or anything, just clamped on really tight and I was hesitant to mess with it too much when removing the entire bolt.

Todd, just outta warranty since June. And honestly I'm done interacting with dealers and having them fix things...I'd rather do it myself and know it's done correctly.

Not a major concern no but yknow, shit like this is like a thorn in the ass. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 47
The cap does not come off. if it does, it would be destroyed in the process. Just soak the assembly in parts cleaner or mineral spirits.

My breather bolt became blocked for some unknown reason. As a temporary fix I cut a hole in the top so that it can breathe again.

"Temporary" is a relative term, since that happened last year.

My breather bolt became blocked for some unknown reason. As a temporary fix I cut a hole in the top so that it can breathe again.

"Temporary" is a relative term, since that happened last year.

Cut a hole in the top? Can't it potentially leak from there now on bumps?

Hasn't happened yet in approx. a year, it's unlikely. On the final drive the oil level is low. As I understand it, the gears just dip into the top of the oil level to coat themselves as they revolve.

One downside is that water might get into it if I ride in heavy rain. For that reason, and that reason only, I avoid downpours.

You can remove the cap then attach a hose and run it along the swing arm and up along the frame. Isn't pretty, but it vents well and no water intrusion.

I had the same issue with my 2013 Special. Fixed under warranty by my dealer Hamlin Cycle in Bethel, CT . Has been fine since. You might want to give them a call. Good luck.

gonna maybe tackle fixing my perpetual final drive leak myself. All the seals were replaced before so I'm not really sure what to do here. The last shop said it was "two bolts not tightening" (???), so they red loctited them. Everything was good for about 3k miles, then the leak started again. Very frustrating.

well i wrote them off a long time ago for various reasons. according to them, they said the bolts were fine but were not tightening for some reason (whatever that means)...gonna have to open her up myself I guess

well i wrote them off a long time ago for various reasons. according to them, they said the bolts were fine but were not tightening for some reason (whatever that means)...gonna have to open her up myself I guess

They may be saying they are bottoming out and not tightening the halves. Really giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one as it really does not explain the loctite. Try torquing them. If they torque without stripping then may just be a matter of shortening the bolts. I know my carc half wisps out the top of the half every so often and I just torque up the bolts and all is good. Worth a try

why didn't they just get new bolts? yea i should've questioned them more at the time. i should open it up and replace all the seals and everything, but i hate to have to spend money on all of that if those parts are not faulty. Been tempted just to live with the leak and top it off as necessary and say fuck it.

I am just speculating at their comments of not tightening. Sometimes the factory does not bore the threaded hole deep enough so anew bolt would not make a difference. Need a shorter one. Again it may actually be stripped.

Where is it leaking from.

I am just speculating at their comments of not tightening. Sometimes the factory does not bore the threaded hole deep enough so anew bolt would not make a difference. Need a shorter one. Again it may actually be stripped.

Where is it leaking from.

Right at the joint basically. Leaking at the bottom when parked. Doesn't spray as much after a ride like the first time it leaked. See pics.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 99
Make sure the breather is not plugged on it. Ive heard of them not working and causing a leak. I removed mine and blew compressed air through it

Stripped hole(s) as canuck1969 said gets my vote. Either a new case, or helicoils are needed. The shop that stripped the case should have made it right, but it sounds like you aren't getting any satisfaction from them. If a bolt can't be tightened, it should not be let out of the shop.

Back