• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

ECU updates. How often?

Jenko

Tuned and Synch'ed
I've just bought a new V7ii Racer. On one of my other bikes, a Triumph Bonneville, I bought an ECU downloadable program that I remapped my ECU with, after changing the exhaust, airbox and removing secondary air injection systems and O2 sensors. Yes, it does give better performance, but the main reason for doing so was to improve the sound from the sewing machine sound, to a proper Brit twin sound. I'm happy with it now, but it was a real pain in the rear to do the ECU programming, as I'm mechanically minded but not happy with computers. My other bike, a BMW 1150 has been serviced by me from new, and never had an ECU update, yet runs perfectly despite being 13 years old and high mileage.

So... eventually!... My question is, how often should my Guzzi V7ii ECU need updating at services?
I'm going to get it dealer serviced just to maintain the warranty, but after that I'll do it myself. I'm not planning on changing exhausts so won't need to remap it like the Triumph. As my nearest Guzzi dealer is a long way from me, I want to get it serviced by my local Triumph dealer. They said they can do it, and it'll still be covered by warranty, (and be half the cost of the Guzzi dealer!) but they cannot do the ECU updates.

Will it really need ECU updates?

Any advice appreciated.
Jenko.

If the

The last ECU update to the V7 really helped low RPM fueling. Will it need another one? I don't know. Moto Guzzi may decide they are done - or not. Will it "need" an update? The answer is purely subjective. You may find an issue that an update will fix, you may not. If it seems OK, I would let your Triumph dealer service your bike. Drop in on a MG dealer occasionally and have them check for an updated map. If you call ahead, they will usually accommodate you while you wait. It only takes a minute or two.

Triumph stopped allowing aftermarket ECU fuel map updates on the Street and Speed Triple in 2013. I suspect the new Street Twins have been cobbled as well.

The last ECU update to the V7 really helped low RPM fueling. Will it need another one? I don't know. Moto Guzzi may decide they are done - or not. Will it "need" an update? The answer is purely subjective. You may find an issue that an update will fix, you may not. If it seems OK, I would let your Triumph dealer service your bike. Drop in on a MG dealer occasionally and have them check for an updated map. If you call ahead, they will usually accommodate you while you wait. It only takes a minute or two.

Triumph stopped allowing aftermarket ECU fuel map updates on the Street and Speed Triple in 2013. I suspect the new Street Twins have been cobbled as well.

Thanks for that. I had planned to get the first service done by a Guzzi dealer, QB in Dudley, on the basis that they should know what they're doing, including the ECU updates. After that, I'll probably take your advice, get it serviced at Triumph and just pop in once a year to a Guzzi dealer to get the ECU updated if necessary. I can't wait for the warranty period to end so I can do the servicing myself. I suppose I could do it now, but there would be an awful Homer Simson feeling of Doh!!! if something went wrong and the warranty was void.

Anyone else got any thoughts on the ECU update question? I know I could get it "flashed" but I don't think a standard machine would benefit from the expense of that.

Jenko.

I have an '09 V7C.
What is the process for finding out if there is a factory ECU update available?
Check with the dealer?
Is there any online info?

I know I could get it "flashed" but I don't think a standard machine would benefit from the expense of that.

At the moment, I have a "standard machine" with Todd's reflash. It may be the best mod you can do to a bike. Low RPM fueling is much improved, you don't have to wait more than a few seconds to let it warm up, and fuel delivery is smooth and consistent all the way to fuel cut-off (7K).

I have an '09 V7C.
What is the process for finding out if there is a factory ECU update available?
Check with the dealer?
Is there any online info?

Sometimes you can find info online, but then you have to know what you have on your bike to see if you need an update. There's no easy way to do that. The easiest way is to just drop in on a dealer. They'll just plug it in and the machine will tell them if there is an update available. Like I said earlier, most dealers can do it in a few minutes while you wait.

At the moment, I have a "standard machine" with Todd's reflash. It may be the best mod you can do to a bike. Low RPM fueling is much improved, you don't have to wait more than a few seconds to let it warm up, and fuel delivery is smooth and consistent all the way to fuel cut-off (7K).

If I lived in the States, I would definitely consider Todd's reflash, but I live in UK, so it would mean having my bike off the road for a few weeks while I trust the Parcel Farce Monkeys (postal service & couriers) to transport my expensive ECU half way across the globe and back without damaging it!

So what would be the advantage of that over buying a Dynojet Power Commander and just plugging it in? Or am I missing something her?

Todd can adjust the ignition timing as well as fueling. Plus, if you don't have do something about the O2 sensor inputs the power commander has limited effect anyway. The O2 sensor will correct fueling changes that the power commander makes unless you take the O2 sensors out of the loop. So without doing something like a re-flash the power commander can only adjust open loop fueling, like at or near full throttle. The biggest gains for most people are improving drivability by adjusting what is currently the closed loop part of the fueling.
My Griso has been flashed by Todd to remove the O2 sensor and adjust the ignition timing. I also have a power commander from Todd to adjust fueling. But nowadays you can get pretty much great results from Todd with just a re-flash in a box.

Thanks. It all sounds really complex. I think for now, I'll stick with Guzzi ECU updates as and when. I know they won't be as performance orientated as Todd's stuff, but then again, if I wanted GSXR performance, I should've bought one of those!
Maybe I'm just getting old! Can't keep up with hi-tech stuff!

It really isn't that complex. And it is not so much about the amount of performance as it is about the quality. The biggest gains in a proper mapping are in drivability and control.

So what would be the advantage of that over buying a Dynojet Power Commander and just plugging it in? Or am I missing something her?
One advantage is the limited applicability of the PC-V. The PC-V with AT200 only works with the early dual throttle body V7's (up to 2011). It doesn't work with the later single throttle body V7s (2012+). Todd's ECUreflash or reflash tool works with all models of V7 AFAIK.

Back