• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Clutch play vs. Engagement V7 Stone

Rob DeMass

Just got it firing!
Hey folks. I feel like when I put the recommended play in my clutch that it fails to engage fully. I don't want to take out more play at the risk of burning out the clutch, but I don't want to miss shifts at 55mph either. Any advice?

Taking out more free play would make it worse. Giving it more play (increase the gap) would give a better engagement. When you make the adjustment (I believe the new spec is 2mm at the lever to housing) just take out the free play. If you feel resistance in the lever at less than 2mm, you have moved the adjustment too tight.

When I increased the play it was not shifting well at all. When I closed the gap (tighter clutch) I was easily able to change gears, but it feels too tight to me.

I probably should have mentioned that I just put on aftermarket levers. They seem to fit well, but if the angle pr perch is slightly off would that effect the pull? They don't look off, but maybe even a micro adjustment would cause the issue?

I probably should have mentioned that I just put on aftermarket levers. They seem to fit well, but if the angle pr perch is slightly off would that effect the pull? They don't look off, but maybe even a micro adjustment would cause the issue?

Possible. Was clutch engagement good with the stock levers? If so, go back to the stock clutch lever or you may burn out the clutch.

The bend of the lever can have a big impact on how the lever works with the clutch throw.
A lever with too much bend back to the bars can cause reduced throw for the clutch, meaning it doesn't fully dis-engage the clutch. Also the geometry of the clutch lever can have an impact on how far the lever moves the clutch plates.
Cable clutches usually have at least two adjustment points, sometimes three. You may need to adjust the clutch down at the motor if that is an option.

2mm of play should mean that there is wiggle room on the lever before you start to feel any kind of resistance in the pull.

Be careful adjusting the clutch at the motor end. Piaggio advises against it as it can ruin the motor. Been through that whole ordeal before.

Totally free uninhibited wiggle, or just some tension but nothing major? If I adjust to a point where there is zero tension the gap is a little more than 2mm and the clutch has a hard time engaging when pulled.

There should be uninhibited wiggle when first starting to pull in the clutch before really starting to feel any kind of resistance. A rep from Guzzi checked all of our bikes and set the free play on them.

You should be able to apply LIGHT pressure on the clutch lever (no force required) and it should move 2mm at the lever where the cable is. That means with light pressure on the lever there should be a 2mm gap between the lever and the mount where the lever seats when you are not pulling on the lever..
The reality of it is you need to have some free play. You don't need much, but you must have some free play. Too much free play can cause issues where the clutch does not fully dis-engage. That can cause shifting issues. But a lack of free play can cause the clutch to not fully engage, resulting in slippage followed by over heating the clutch and burning it up. It is not key that you have EXACTLY 2mm of free play. having 1.5mm or even 1 mm of free play is not going to cause problems. But as the clutch wears the free play can reduce and if it goes away you can have issues from lack of free play. As the cable stretches you can have too much free play and shifting issues can result.

Ok, sounds like I definitely need to give myself more play and see what happens. Unfortunately, its about 6 degrees out today.

Totally free uninhibited wiggle, or just some tension but nothing major? If I adjust to a point where there is zero tension the gap is a little more than 2mm and the clutch has a hard time engaging when pulled.

Lets straighten out some terminology. When the clutch is disengaged (clutch lever pulled in), power is interrupted to the gearbox and rear wheel. When the clutch is engaged (clutch lever released), you have power to the gearbox, and rear wheel if in gear.

again, there seems to be a lot of stretch in the clutch cable on the V7 when hot. so 2mm ice cold might become 6mm hot and that is when it won't disengage all the way. I set mine with about 1mm cold.
cold changes things. my cold at 60 degrees tire pressure of 38 lbs became 30 lbs at 30 degrees in Alpine Az. Wednesday am.

again, there seems to be a lot of stretch in the clutch cable on the V7 when hot. so 2mm ice cold might become 6mm hot and that is when it won't disengage all the way. I set mine with about 1mm cold.
cold changes things. my cold at 60 degrees tire pressure of 38 lbs became 30 lbs at 30 degrees in Alpine Az. Wednesday am.
Does anyone know the length of a new 13 v7 stone clutch pushrod?

Back